Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 1st August 2022 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Slug

Gutted so far lightning too far west to see but i did hear thunder but still nothing visible to the eye, I’d like to get a thunderstorm today and a decent one at that.  Especially if it’s after dark as then, at least i should see the actual bolts 

Always crosses plymouth as just rain hardly ever electrified 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

For anyone worried about the storms going just north from Devon, I wouldn’t… I’ve been keeping an eye on those as I’m working outside. They started out as a line of storms at the far tip of Cornwall, and are building up as they travel both east and north - looks like the warnings for later could be pretty accurate! 

Edited by SilverWolf
  • Like 1

Posted

Ha! Just as I posted, a flash of lightning and a rolling boom to the east...then another boom🤣

Reading the storm forecasts, am I correct in saying that these storms are the first part, with the second more widespread part forecast for later this evening and overnight?

Edited by Super_Uwe

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow ❄️ / Thunderstorms ⛈

Any thunderstorms in Doncaster today thanks 😊 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like a repeat of yesterday evening/night across the SW approaches at the moment - just much earlier and much further west.

Curious to see how that line evolves through the evening.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Looks like a repeat of yesterday evening/night across the SW approaches at the moment - just much earlier and much further west.

I'd say the lightning is more severe than last evening just to the west of the Channel Islands moving into Lyme Bay, if it maintains the current strike rate when it gets closer then there will be fun............

Edited by Mark Parsons

Posted
12 minutes ago, Harry said:

What do you think of our chances this evening/over night Harry?  Do you think anything will reach London/SE?

Posted

Thunder and lightning in Dartmouth. Heavy rain 🌧️☔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I think the Dawlish cam is next in line for some action in the next half hour.....

WWW.CAMSECURE.CO.UK

Live webcam from Dawlish in Devon UK viewing the beautiful coastline. See the waves crashing in on a stormy day and the Gulls soaring high and low - some beautiful sunsets can be seen here too.

• Thanks 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Ashme said:

It's coming 🙌🤗🤞🏻🤞🏻

Screenshot_20220905-155542_Chrome.jpg

My mum and aunties in Ilminster, Horton & Broadway would appreciate some torrential rain 👍🤞👌⚡☔⚡☔

Edited by WillinGlossop

Posted

Currently just northwest of Worcester. Wondering whether I should just stay put. I'm nicely in the risk zone now.  Just need to keep track of the radar and find a good viewpoint 👍

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, snow raven said:

What do you think of our chances this evening/over night Harry?  Do you think anything will reach London/SE?

Honestly @snow raven I wouldn't like to guess.

There seems to be more 'potential' tonight than last night in terms of CAPE, but the models are chopping and changing as to possible coverage of storms for our area.

I would say on balance they have been fairly favourable over the past 24 hours, so I am reasonably optimistic (but not expectant).

In terms of timings for best chance, this is what the models seem to be suggesting:

UKV (12z) - 20:00 and 00:00

AROME (12z) - 00:00 - 02:00

WRF-NMM (06z) - 22:00 - 02:00

WRF-NMM (Higher Res) (06z) - 22:00 - 01:00

The most organised potential is further west it seems to me, but my motto is where pressure is falling and you have decent CAPE (tonight up at around 1,000 for a good few hours), you can get a little excited.

If I was a gambling man, I would NOT in a million years have said lightning would be as frequent or anywhere near as widespread as it ended up being last night!! As for tonight therefore, who knows!

Keep an eye on that band of storms moving NE across the SW over the coming hours is the best advice I can give and hope for some storms to develop ahead of this line.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Rumbling away on this Dawlish cam with sound. You will see Video Unavailable but just click on Watch on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xsD21zBb73o

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

You can hear the hail on this one!!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

image.thumb.png.f86e8dda6860e01892ce0b54606066e2.png

Nay bad at all! Direction of travel is NNE so Dorset looks best for this batch. Watching for further developments to the south and east of this line for those of us a little further east. 

Looking at how crap my photos are from last night, I'm seriously hoping for another chance tonight! 

Good luck everyone. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
5 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

image.thumb.png.f86e8dda6860e01892ce0b54606066e2.png

Nay bad at all! Direction of travel is NNE so Dorset looks best for this batch. Watching for further developments to the south and east of this line for those of us a little further east. 

Looking at how crap my photos are from last night, I'm seriously hoping for another chance tonight! 

Good luck everyone. 

Already looking like another fail then by the looks of it for here.

Unless another system of storms magically forms miles further west then I can see it being just another repeat of last night only more earlier.

• Like 1