Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice in the Northern Hemisphere: Winter 22/23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

MIA, thankyou so much for doing these - I used to follow in the past when it was just charts posted and an occasional comment, but I am (slowly!) starting to understand more because of how clearly you explain it all. 
Just wanted to say - your hard work is appreciated!!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Before this thread goes away for 6 months , a question for the more knowledgable folk

if next winter is El Niño , is this better or worse for ice refreeze ??

• Like 1

Posted

MIA 

thanks for all the info and data 👍🏻👍🏻

snd thanks for your thoughts 🥃

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

and...       one more post for those interested in seeing the freezing season out to a close...

Also,   I promised a more detailed review of the ice thickness back in January.

A good way of watching (and hence guessing what is going to happen in the melt season) is to watch the DMI ice thickness and volume graph.

Historically we have lost about 2M of ice across the NH Arctic basin during the summer melt.

This means that, as we know, all the ice that has formed in the outer areas will melt.

Also see the DMI charts for this time last year and also 30 days later (mid April) -

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram                    Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Map, Atlas, Diagram   

Viewing and comparing both charts you can see the extra amount of 'pale blue' ice that formed in the month, (whilst sea ice total extent dropped). Remember that it needs to be at least this colour to survive the refreeze (the 2M level),within the basin, 

Now look at this year -

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Person, Map, Atlas, Diagram 

Comparing this chart with the one a year ago, highlights 2 or 3 interesting slight differences.

1) how the ice in the main pole region is somewhat  thicker this year (less dark blue) surrounding the pole, and  this  thicker ice extends further towards Svalbard/Norway).     Also the thicker ice in the Laptev/ ESS region is probably the left over ice from Beaufort from last year.

2) There is less ice this year towards the Beaufort Sea / Alaska Chukchi area -    thicker ice has moved away from last year, (that is away from the Beaufort Sea and Alaska coastline), where it will always melt out, 

3) The amount of ice exiting the Fram Straight (death for it), is similar to last year (though slightly thicker).

4)  Also that last year we saw a considerable widening of the Arctic main pack (towards Svalbard) going on well into April. (will it happen this year?)

Remember that the ice will still remain mainly around the pole in September , and that ice shown elsewhere will probably melt out, even within the Basin. 

Lastly, I include a link for the DMI chart -

https://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/icethickness/images/FullSize_CICE_combine_thick_SM_EN_20230317.png

So there are some (hopefully positive)  things to watch out for over the next 5 - 6 weeks.

But as  always, it will be mainly determined by the weather over the period from May to September. 

Fluctuating temperatures have been slightly above normal this spring, but the latest trend is downwards. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, White Board, Measurements             Could contain: Chart, Plot, White Board 

Very similar to last year, when a very cold spring emerged in the Arctic.. 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 2

• 5 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
30 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just wonder if the same thread for winter 23-24 will appear soon. Last year it was early on 22 Aug.

i always thought it traditionally started on Sept 1st ??

Posted
49 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just wonder if the same thread for winter 23-24 will appear soon. Last year it was early on 22 Aug.

I was looking at this yesterday!

@Turnedoutniceagain was kind enough to start last year’s thread and @Midlands Ice Age always provides lots of info - didn’t want to get a thread started in case one of you were prepping something

Posted
10 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

i always thought it traditionally started on Sept 1st ??

I think last year was notably early, but could be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
6 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I think last year was notably early, but could be wrong.

Yes it was, as actual sea ice started getting growing very early. I will assume with how things are this year, things will start noticeably late, although the thread might start September 1st anyway.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

The suggestion from MIA is that it will start once the lowerlevel (i.e. not mountain range) pixels appear and it would be a new thread for this year.

As per here: 

Edited by Dorsetbred