Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Deeper into Autumn

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
3 hours ago, Zakos said:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Face, Head, Person, Bear, Wildlife, Mammal, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Face, Person, Head

Agreed very interesting ... the block is extensive and essentially in the same position right out to +384 hours on the 00z...

Could contain: Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Map, Land, Rainforest, Vegetation, Atlas 

The block holding firm throughout... tentative signs perhaps of an easterly flow eventually over the U.K...

This is quite unusual for November... I haven't seen charts like these since Nov-2010... not to imply we will necessarily see a similar epic cold spell but the potential certainly is there.... 

Yes, the  mean anomolies  showing the higher than average geop 500's for both the gfs 6z and ecm 0z for 10 days time..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Face, Person, Head, Outdoors, Nature, Baby

1577803280_EDH101-240(1).thumb.gif.1b6cde56b8d0c97bb1092e54b089a071.gif

...looking remarkably similar...i think it is not so much a question of whether there will be a block but just how far north and east it will be to be able to influence our weather from the cold perspective, going by these charts . Strong negative tilt signal with the jet moving south east on the means ...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Sea, Water, Bird, Animal

Good to see as @Cambrian alluded to earlier in his post..however will there be enough omph to enable the low pressures to continue there se journey or will they just stall in our vicinity resulting in very wet cool conditions...we will see..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Going by what the models are currently saying, tomorrow's possible max of 20C (Met Office) will be the last one of 2022!:santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
40 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Going by what the models are currently saying, tomorrow's possible max of 20C (Met Office) will be the last one of 2022!:santa-emoji:

Certainly a big drop in temperatures coming Pete.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

London ens show 10/11c fall in the 850s next week.Would suggest max's in single figures for most.

A big change as we get a colder flow from the west.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
5 hours ago, Mark Smithy said:

Hi BFTP. Sorry but this is not what the ECM shows. The ECM has the high sliding away south. This is an Atlantic dominated snapshot at T240 of the 0z ECM:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors

In some ways the UKMO is even more progressive than the ECM. This is T144 and this is certainly not a serious block and it certainly is being shifted:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Incorrect, yes we are influenced by LP but those do not clear through east of us.  Look at the run on the NH profile, that block to our East/NE goes absolutely nowhere.  Now what one mustn’t think is that a deep cold easterly is iminent.  Put that to oneside.  We want the PV to be ‘stressed’, and it is

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 4

Posted

Oh dear! The GFS 12Z is out to T+240... and there's no sign of imminent snowfall. But, who cares, it's not even winter!:santa-emoji:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
21 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Oh dear! The GFS 12Z is out to T+240... and there's no sign of imminent snowfall. But, who cares, it's not even winter!:santa-emoji:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Outdoors    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Person, Atlas, Diagram

And a bit on and everythings backed west,...a lot😉

12z 312 vs 06z 318...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature

the 12z looks good to me Pete with the Atlantic held west of the meridian👍

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
22 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

And a bit on and everythings backed west,...a lot😉

12z 312 vs 06z 318...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Outdoors, Nature

the 12z looks good to me Pete with the Atlantic held west of the meridian👍

Well, Si, I have no idea at all about how this winter will pan out... But, of one thing I'm certain: the Atlantic Ocean has always been 'held west of the Meridian'!😁

Anyway, it's not winter yet; the GFS at T+360 doesn't worry me in the least!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram     Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
5 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well, Si, I have no idea at all about how this winter will pan out... But, of one thing I'm certain: the Atlantic Ocean has always been 'held west of the Meridian'!😁

Anyway, it's not winter yet; the GFS at T+360 doesn't worry me in the least!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram     Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Just looking at the building blocks for trends ATM Pete😁

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ed Stone said:

🤷🏼

Posted
6 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I did a search on the Beeb, for all the very cold air that's there. But, alas, if it is there, it's steadfastly avoiding any major cities. At least for the next five days or so!🤔

That said, Moscow is down for a max of +2C next week... Wake me up when it's -14!😁

And now for today's GFS 06Z operational run:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Map, Nature, Face, Person, Head    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart

Well, at least the warm Atlantic will beef up western areas' rainfall totals, if nothing else!😱

Search harder…you’ll find ridiculous cold.  Maybe Canada?  

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Now, now, now… let’s keep it friendly please guys, or we’ll have to zap the posts to dust. Plus, we’ll make you eat a whole plate of fallen-on-the-floor brussel sprouts. 👀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Seeing a chart like this reminded me of a forecast by I believe Jack Scott in the seventies when he said there is High Pressure over Scandinavia, and it’ll probably stay there until April influencing our weather from time to time.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 3

Posted

"Atlantic onslaught second half of November" according to Gavs weather followed by possible easterly winds, although he does go on to point out that Europe won't be that cold. Sods law.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

"Atlantic onslaught second half of November" according to Gavs weather followed by possible easterly winds, although he does go on to point out that Europe won't be that cold. Sods law.

A prognosis that's not exactly refuted by the latest GFS ensembles either:

Could contain: Chart    Could contain: Plot, Chart

prcpBuckinghamshire.png    Could contain: Chart, Plot

An imminent Beast from the East? I don't think so!😱

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Heights to our south killing any chance of any type of Easterly at the moment 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well if this came off…it’ll be a storm that’ll bring headlines for sure

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Art

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold

The GFS has been chopping and changing from dry one run to unsettled another then back to dry.

Hopefully we get to know by Sunday how next week is looking Snow wise for Scandinavia!

Could contain: Line Chart, Chart

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The GEFS 12z, here and there longer term is trying to bring some wintry cheer to coldies in the form of an easterly / northerly!….I must admit to being very bored by this obnoxiously mild autumn now, day in day out, night in night out, weathermen saying another very mild day…pffffft….however, I think the wheel will turn and coldies will be grinning from ear to ear at some point in the next three or four months! 😁 🥶 ❄️ ⛄😱 😜 🧐 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Person, LandCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Map, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, DiagramCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, MapCould contain: Glasses, Accessories, Portrait, Person, Head, Face, Photography, Tie, Car, Vehicle

• Like 6