Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima recordings season 22-23

damianslaw

Posted

It's November, and time to start the coldest minima thread for the upcoming season.

I don't have the list of recent coldest minimas, please someone post for reference. Feb 2021 delivered a very cold -23 degrees I think in the Highlands, but last year I think the coldest min was about -11 degrees.

In some years November or March can bring the coldest minima..

Please use this thread to record your coldest minima recordings of the upcoming season, predictions of coldest minima.

After the extensive warmth of 2022 so far, I'm tempering my expectations, my guess is -15 degrees in The Highlands, let's go Aboyne. -13 degrees for England either Redesdale, Topcliffe or Benson - hedging my bets! Love to say -20 degrees.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Minus 18 recorded last week and prediction of minus 40 around Jan/Feb 😉

Edited by Coopsy

Posted
37 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

Minus 18 recorded last week and prediction of minus 40 around Jan/Feb 😉

-18 already! Most years don't see a min anywhere near that level in the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Newport in Shropshire:  - 14*C 

Posted
13 hours ago, damianslaw said:

-4 coldest so far.. correct if wrong..

You're not wrong. -4C at Braemar. 

You know it's coming into winter when Braemar starts dominating! 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Some impressive overnight minimum temperatures across the Highlands this morning, the coldest of the season so far on the amateur network.

316242032_1139724623604533_3729827285206

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Some impressive overnight minimum temperatures across the Highlands this morning, the coldest of the season so far on the amateur network.

316242032_1139724623604533_3729827285206

Thanks for these, hadn't realised last night was so cold, so we have a new figure of -5.7.. Grantown on Spey, I think all the others are not official stations?

Posted
On 23/11/2022 at 18:38, damianslaw said:

Thanks for these, hadn't realised last night was so cold, so we have a new figure of -5.7.. Grantown on Spey, I think all the others are not official stations?

None of the stations in that list are official Met-Office stations. 

The Met-Office owned Aviemore station recorded -5.9C so that's officially the lowest of the season.

• Like 3

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sawel said:

None of the stations in that list are official Met-Office stations. 

The Met-Office owned Aviemore station recorded -5.9C so that's officially the lowest of the season.

Ok great, good to keep this thread alive... it may possibly become very busy in early Dec, we shall see..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
On 01/11/2022 at 21:20, damianslaw said:

It's November, and time to start the coldest minima thread for the upcoming season.

I don't have the list of recent coldest minimas, please someone post for reference. Feb 2021 delivered a very cold -23 degrees I think in the Highlands, but last year I think the coldest min was about -11 degrees.

In some years November or March can bring the coldest minima..

Please use this thread to record your coldest minima recordings of the upcoming season, predictions of coldest minima.

After the extensive warmth of 2022 so far, I'm tempering my expectations, my guess is -15 degrees in The Highlands, let's go Aboyne. -13 degrees for England either Redesdale, Topcliffe or Benson - hedging my bets! Love to say -20 degrees.

coldest mins each year since 2000 from Trevor Harley's website

WWW.TREVORHARLEY.COM

Could contain: Page, Text

My prediction for this winter I think we'll get down to -17 likely Braemar or Altnaharra

Edited by Metwatch
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Sawel said:

Aviemore -6.0C this morning. 

Ooh thanks for that not a bad starting point at all going into the winter. Could be seeing much colder mins next week in the Highlands under any snow cover...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Prediction: -23C to be reached - maybe breached - in either Braemar or Altnaharra last third of Dec and/or first third of Jan. Outside chance of a new all-time minimum record being set. 

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted

There's going to be some very low temperatures recorded from midweek onwards in the Highlands. Given there will be a northerly element to the wind with associated snow showers, this is typically the most favourable conditions for Altnaharra and Kinbrace to record the lowest temperatures due to freezing over snowcover and their northerly latitude helps. Aviemore should get decent snow cover too and will be amongst the lowest temperatures. Braemar will obviously be amongst the action too.

PS - It's a pity there's no official weather station in Tomintoul. It does really well with snow when there's a northerly element to the wind. I'd be expecting some very cold temperatures there.

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, Sawel said:

There's going to be some very low temperatures recorded from midweek onwards in the Highlands. Given there will be a northerly element to the wind with associated snow showers, this is typically the most favourable conditions for Altnaharra and Kinbrace to record the lowest temperatures due to freezing over snowcover and their northerly latitude helps. Aviemore should get decent snow cover too and will be amongst the lowest temperatures. Braemar will obviously be amongst the action too.

PS - It's a pity there's no official weather station in Tomintoul. It does really well with snow when there's a northerly element to the wind. I'd be expecting some very cold temperatures there.

Yes double digit mins should be easily achieved in frost prone Highland spots I suspect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
On 24/11/2022 at 22:30, Metwatch said:

coldest mins each year since 2000 from Trevor Harley's website

WWW.TREVORHARLEY.COM

Could contain: Page, Text

My prediction for this winter I think we'll get down to -17 likely Braemar or Altnaharra

Only 3 years out of 21 here recorded lower than -21 deg  yet 7 years managed to do that in the decade from 1978 and 4 of those were colder than -23 deg.

Edited by hillbilly

Posted
8 hours ago, Sawel said:

There are a network of weather stations installed in cold Deeside and Donside spots by a local amateur weather guy based in Braemar. 

Don't think he has one in Tomintoul but has a few along Strathdon in Aberdeenshire and they're quite often quite a bit lower than even Braemar. Could be interesting if we get a proper cold spell. 

Posted
15 hours ago, Snowandrocks said:

There are a network of weather stations installed in cold Deeside and Donside spots by a local amateur weather guy based in Braemar. 

Don't think he has one in Tomintoul but has a few along Strathdon in Aberdeenshire and they're quite often quite a bit lower than even Braemar. Could be interesting if we get a proper cold spell. 

The trouble with amateur weather stations is that many are not very accurate with poor radiation shields, calibration issues etc. Secondly, the siting of the weather station often falls short of accepted standards. If the weather stations were Davis VP2 with reasonable siting then they could be taken much more seriously.

Posted

This thread should rightly see some activity through the week. Highly expect somewhere will go below -10 degrees at least by the end of the week - Aviemore, Kinbrace, Altnaharra, Braemar under snow cover. Let's see.

• Like 2

Posted

Can we keep this thread alive, it deserves to be the most active thread over the next few days, please record your lowest temp readings and someone what the lowest temp of the season is so far, suspect last night somewhere, definately tonight..

• Like 1