Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima recordings season 22-23

damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters

currently -6 in Telford at the moment and very icy conditions but beautiful clear blue skies, looks very much like a scene from Switzerland 

Posted

Car noted -8c in Stevenage and stayed that way on my drive to Ware. Rose to -7c on my way home and was -6c by the time I was back in Stevenage.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

I’ve got to mention, In watching Carol Kirkwood this morning on BBC breakfast, she never mentioned how brutally cold it was last night, her starting comments we’re “after a cold night it’s going to get warmer come the weekend” then straight on with the forecast, ugh!

Come on, loads of places dropped below the magical minus 10 mark last night and not even a mention….or maybe its too embarrassing for them to mention it, as they’ve been shockingly caught out….even the MO had places to be at -4’s and -5’s and they ended up having lows of -8’s and -9’s

Anyway…. I’m enjoying it, even if the forecasters aren’t…Do’h! 🤣

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, Dancerwithwings said:

I’ve got to mention, In watching Carol Kirkwood this morning on BBC breakfast, she never mentioned how brutally cold it was last night, her starting comments we’re “after a cold night it’s going to get warmer come the weekend” then straight on with the forecast, ugh!

Come on, loads of places dropped below the magical minus 10 mark last night and not even a mention….or maybe its too embarrassing for them to mention it, as they’ve been shockingly caught out….even the MO had places to be at -4’s and -5’s and they ended up having lows of -8’s and -9’s

Anyway…. I’m enjoying it, even if the forecasters aren’t…Do’h! 🤣

Yes the very low temps are just as noteworthy as snow, I've noticed the Media are playing down this cold spell more than many lesser ones in recent years, can't help but think its political, government don't want them to be adding to the general cost of living crisis and scaring people, my worry is people are not putting heating on still.

Yes last night very cold for many, and tonight looking a carbon copy. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes the very low temps are just as noteworthy as snow, I've noticed the Media are playing down this cold spell more than many lesser ones in recent years, can't help but think its political, government don't want them to be adding to the general cost of living crisis and scaring people, my worry is people are not putting heating on still.

Yes last night very cold for many, and tonight looking a carbon copy. 

what!!! weather presenters just generalising that it was a cold night….🙄 
It’s was the coldest night for over a decade in the Midlands  -9 to -11 widely.

All morning the TV BBC weather charts were showing - 4 and 5’s for this forthcoming night 

but Ive just seen the lunchtime forecast and now that’s all changed. - 8 and - 9’s 

I understand that it may scare people,  but there’s no point worry about paying a bill if your suffering or worse.. brown bread !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

-5.1°C was the lowest here this month, which while not exceptional, the duration of the cold has made this the biggest cold spell since probably 2010. 

Posted
4 hours ago, chilly milly said:

Car noted -8c in Stevenage and stayed that way on my drive to Ware. Rose to -7c on my way home and was -6c by the time I was back in Stevenage.

I've got an old school friend who lives just outside Stevenage and keeps referring to it as "deliverance country". I'm not sure Deliverance was set in Hertfordshire, but oh well. He seems pleased it's cold anyway!

Weird this morning as -10.8º when I set off for Leeds only for it to be +1º 20 miles away over the Pennines as I drove past Barnard Castle. Very odd!

Posted
1 hour ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

I've got an old school friend who lives just outside Stevenage and keeps referring to it as "deliverance country". I'm not sure Deliverance was set in Hertfordshire, but oh well. He seems pleased it's cold anyway!

Weird this morning as -10.8º when I set off for Leeds only for it to be +1º 20 miles away over the Pennines as I drove past Barnard Castle. Very odd!

I'm not sure if he's referring to the scenery or the desperation and need to survive here. Possibly the latter, lol.

Posted
3 minutes ago, ModestMention said:

Benson is reporting -7 already.

It's -2.1 here.

@jtay what the temperature in the valley?

Two ticks....

Exactly the same.

Edited by jtay

Posted
5 minutes ago, jtay said:

Two ticks....

I'll be off to Tesco later. I have a cheapy thermometer with a 1 second update. I will be interesting to see the difference.

I tried this on Sunday when it was overcast Downton (35m  amsl) it was 1.8C Woodfalls was 0.8C (110m amsl) then Piper's Wait in the New Forest was 0.5 (125m amsl)

I assume later it will with the clear night it will be colder in the valley.

• Like 1

Posted

Benson and Shap leading the way tonight, both on -8 degrees. Can someone post coldest min so far in England, lost track, Redesdale Camp went down to -11.5 the other night, did Shap go lower last night or somewhere else?

Expecting equally cold temps tonight/early morning. The last of the very cold nights.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I may as well add my locations paltry offering of -4.6C which was achieved on the 13th. I suppose in any other circumstance, -4.6C would be a very respectable temperature in winter. 

Last night was -3.5 (actually this morning), but we cant seem to get much lower, being on the top of a hill.  We do however, have frozen snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

I may as well add my locations paltry offering of -4.6C which was achieved on the 13th. I suppose in any other circumstance, -4.6C would be a very respectable temperature in winter. 

Last night was -3.5 (actually this morning), but we cant seem to get much lower, being on the top of a hill.  We do however, have frozen snow.

Well you’ve been just as cold as us despite being (more or less) directly on the coast. Our lowest temperature this month (-5C) is the coldest it’s been here since… February 2021, when it also fell to -5C. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
14 minutes ago, cheese said:

Well you’ve been just as cold as us despite being (more or less) directly on the coast. Our lowest temperature this month (-5C) is the coldest it’s been here since… February 2021, when it also fell to -5C. 

Leeds does seem to have it's own little microclimate, I've noticed that in the past.

Posted
13 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Leeds does seem to have it's own little microclimate, I've noticed that in the past.

Not just Leeds though - there’s been no exceptional temperatures this side of the Pennines in general. Even the usual frost hollow stations haven’t been particularly cold. Osbourne One-Nil leaving Cumbria at -10C and arriving in County Durham at +1C sums it up really.

It’s been a fairly long cold spell (10 nights in a row below freezing), but nothing that anyone here is going to remember in a couple of years. Just one of many colder spells that fade into the statistics.

Edited by cheese

Posted
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Not just Leeds though - there’s been no exceptional temperatures this side of the Pennines in general. Even the usual frost hollow stations haven’t been particularly cold. Osbourne One-Nil leaving Cumbria at -10C and arriving at County Durham at +1C sums it up really.

Cumbria has had virtually no wind to stir the atmosphere since Saturday, hence the cold dense air has sat over the County under brilliant blue skies and sunshine. It has been a stunning spell for the Lake District, there is little snow on the fells, or ice, just superb! December is often exceptionally wet. Anyone who likes winter walking and had time to do some in the Lakes has been treated this week. Cumbria the cold pole of England in these set ups - slack northerly airstreams.

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Cumbria has had virtually no wind to stir the atmosphere since Saturday, hence the cold dense air has sat over the County under brilliant blue skies and sunshine. It has been a stunning spell for the Lake District, there is little snow on the fells, or ice, just superb! December is often exceptionally wet. Anyone who likes winter walking and had time to do some in the Lakes has been treated this week. Cumbria the cold pole of England in these set ups - slack northerly airstreams.

We’ve had lovely sunshine & clear blue skies here too, just nothing noteworthy in terms of temperature . Today reached 4C for example. 

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

We’ve had lovely sunshine & clear blue skies here too, just nothing noteworthy in terms of temperature . Today reached 4C for example. 

Too much of a northerly breeze I think east side of the Pennines. Same conditions happened in Dec 10, Cumbria was in the freezer, thanks to light or no wind and nothing to stir the atmosphere on that occasion there was more snow, minima was much lower.. but we have had 4 ice days now and mins regularly between -5 and -11 degrees.

Posted
7 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Too much of a northerly breeze I think east side of the Pennines. Same conditions happened in Dec 10, Cumbria was in the freezer, thanks to light or no wind and nothing to stir the atmosphere on that occasion there was more snow, minima was much lower.. but we have had 4 ice days now and mins regularly between -5 and -11 degrees.

Well in December 2010 it fell to -17C at Church Fenton, just 15 miles from here. Even in February 2012 it fell to -12C at Church Fenton .Certainly nothing close to that this time around. 

How you remember this month is going to highly depend on where you are in the country. I don’t think you can call it a nationwide classic like Jan or Dec 2010, and for here it still falls way short of December 2009. 

Edited by cheese

Posted

For the west coast of Wales, this is very impressive and without doubt the coldest minima since 2010 (yesterday)

When the weather gets boring we'll have to have a game of guess the cars 🤣

Could contain: Gauge, Tachometer, Car, Vehicle, Transportation

• Like 2

Posted

I noted before RobR's observation that Nantwich in Cheshire went from 37.8 on 19th July to -10 the night before last, a difference of 47.8 degrees. I wonder whether anyone can beat that? 

Edited by A Face like Thunder
further observation

Posted

Very cold here last night by this locations standards, -9.2c. Quite a few stations across England seem to have got down to similar levels or even a little lower.

Very impressive cold spell, especially without very much in the way of snowfall (just the light dusting which is still somehow staying around in the shade.

• Like 1