Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima recordings season 22-23

damianslaw

Posted
4 hours ago, Frigid said:

Perhaps inversion type cold. Heathrow got down to -8.4C, with relatively high uppers. Coldest night since 2012. 

A notably low minima for Heathrow, especially given lack of any snow cover. I'm surprised it didn't go lower than this at at any point in winter 12-13, 17-18 or 20-21.

The media keep saying in 12 years, being pedantic it is 11 years i.e. Feb 2012.

• Like 1

Posted

Given the outlook this thread will quite rightly remain inactive over days ahead, and possibly quite a bit more time thereafter, but the cold season has a long way to go, and March can pack a mighty cold punch still. Hoping that I will have reason to resurrect it again in not too distant future, we had a barren 4 week spell with little cold weather, hope don't have to wait same length again..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Just a point of interest, I have been doing some research into winter 1963 in Penrith as its the 60th anniversary.

A unexpected fact I found was that despite the deep snow in Penrith in February 1963 the lowest temperature recorded during the entire winter was just -12c compared to -11c in December 2022 (snowless) and -18c in December 2010.

I know it's only one statistic but interesting nevertheless 

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I had 3 minus 7C on the trot this week, unfortunately, a power cut on early Monday morning has taken the minima away from me

• 5 weeks later...
Posted

Says it all this thread has been inactive since 25th January, the period since being largely mild or very mild with a few cold nights but nothing out of the ordinary. We may well see very cold minima in March, but suspect we have seen the coldest min of the season now, and an early one this year.

Please can someone post the coldest min this season England, Wales and Scotland.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I know there were some very cold mins in the CET zone which as been the main reason why we have come in milder than the CET zone. Feb hasn't seen any below zero mins for us. We had -5C in December  then -2.7C in jan.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Says it all this thread has been inactive since 25th January, the period since being largely mild or very mild with a few cold nights but nothing out of the ordinary. We may well see very cold minima in March, but suspect we have seen the coldest min of the season now, and an early one this year.

Please can someone post the coldest min this season England, Wales and Scotland.

I appreciate you will be looking for official data but amateur wise Lee from Highland Weather recorded a low of -20.0C in December last year in Schillochan, near Carrbridge in the Highlands. 

Posted
20 hours ago, The PIT said:

I know there were some very cold mins in the CET zone which as been the main reason why we have come in milder than the CET zone. Feb hasn't seen any below zero mins for us. We had -5C in December  then -2.7C in jan.

Have you ever had a February without a sub-zero min? Even here, there's never been a February since 1980 where we didn't have an air frost. Its the only month of the year to have that record. The highest low minimum here was -0.5C in 2002. This year managed a -0.8C and -0.6C on the 6th and 7th.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Resurrecting this thread in light of expected significant low minima forecast for Highland Scotland tonight and tomorrow. I'm not sure lowest min so far this season.. someone please confirm. Could go down to -15 degrees.

Shap went below -7 degrees, and could go down to -10 degrees tonight. Temps are dropping like a stone here under clear skies and light winds.

• Like 2

Posted

GFS normally undercooks the depth of minima's, this was especially prevalent during the December cold spell where it was forecast to go down to -6C. It actually went down to -10C. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram

Could get some impressive lows for the time of year if conditions are right 

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frigid said:

GFS normally undercooks the depth of minima's, this was especially prevalent during the December cold spell where it was forecast to go down to -6C. It actually went down to -10C. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Land, Nature, Outdoors, Atlas, Diagram

Could get some impressive lows for the time of year if conditions are right 

Snow cover will make a difference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 26/02/2023 at 16:59, reef said:

Have you ever had a February without a sub-zero min? Even here, there's never been a February since 1980 where we didn't have an air frost. Its the only month of the year to have that record. The highest low minimum here was -0.5C in 2002. This year managed a -0.8C and -0.6C on the 6th and 7th.

Leeds Weather Centre didn’t fall below freezing at all in February 1990, the lowest temperature was 0.6C. That month had an average high of 10.6C and an average low of 4.6C. It’s a city centre station though. 

Edited by cheese
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Coldest night for a good few weeks on the cards tonight.. widespread mins below -5 degrees I think over Cumbria. Winter 22-23 certainly is producing the good min temp wise.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Coldest night for a good few weeks on the cards tonight.. widespread mins below -5 degrees I think over Cumbria. Winter 22-23 certainly is producing the good min temp wise.

Definitely one thing that stands out for this winter, is the sheer amount of sharp frosts.. Currently -4C down here, possibly coldest March night since 2018. Still got a fair way to go to beat March 2006 min of -8C. 

Posted

Helen Willetts' forecast: "Coldest night of the winter so far - particularly for Scotland, -13 or -14." And then only showing  -3s and -4s generally across northern England. I know rural temperatures often fall below urban by a few to several degrees but back in December we had below -17C in Scotland and below -14C in England, with widespread -10s on a few nights .... and Meteorologists say it's now Spring!  I just can't see it being as cold as that spell  - or the 3 weeks into January where a wide area had -6s with Benson hitting -10C.

Edit - current English lows are -7s in the Yorkshire Wolds and Rochester, Northumberland, but mostly a few degrees warmer across the North and above freezing in plenty of places - so still mild compared to those other two cold spells.

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Latest weather conditions and forecasts for the UK and the world. Includes up to 14-days of hourly forecast information, warnings, maps, and the latest editorial analysis and videos from the BBC Weather Centre.

Edited by Aleman

Posted
On 26/02/2023 at 16:59, reef said:

February 2014 had a min of 1C at Manchester Airport, can't seem to find any February with a higher min. 

Posted

Can't find any independents to beat -14.7C at Loch Glasnarloch and -10.5C at Shap last night so looks to be a few degrees warmer last night than mid- December. Temperatures below Brum are generally not even below zero. We'll have to look to snow  in the next day or two for the excitement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Lowest official minimum was -15.4C, Kinbrace. Coldest March night since 2010.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 3

Posted

-4.0C this morning, the coldest in March since 2010. Also the 6th coldest March minimum since 1980 so fairly notable.

Posted

Feel like there will be much lower temps Saturday morning. Especially with snow cover, could easily go down to minus double digits. Edinburgh went down to -9C last night without snow cover. For March that's very impressive.

Posted
8 hours ago, Relativistic said:

Lowest official minimum was -15.4C, Kinbrace. Coldest March night since 2010.

Another 2010 comparison, we had the cold in December as that year and now March. Quite impressive for March but not exceptional. I remember early March 2001 produced lows below -20 degrees.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
27 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Another 2010 comparison, we had the cold in December as that year and now March. Quite impressive for March but not exceptional. I remember early March 2001 produced lows below -20 degrees.

Not that often that March is the coldest min of the year,it has only happened on 3 previous occasions in the last 50 years,but all thos occasions were colder than -15 deg.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Already down to -14.6C at Altnaharra. -12.7C at Kinbrace. I think there’s a good chance tonight will be the coldest of the winter so far 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, A Winter's Tale said:

Already down to -14.6C at Altnaharra. -12.7C at Kinbrace. I think there’s a good chance tonight will be the coldest of the winter so far 

On a par with aforementioned 2001 then which also produced lowest minima in March that winter. Not too unusual I guess, but would be an achievement after the significant cold in December.

Temperature wise the 2022-23 winter season which begins in November and I ends in April by my standards will go down as a good one for depth of cold and number of frosts... snowfall wise, well lets see how the next few days pan out, might end up near average / average or a bit above for some... a shame the coldest wintriest weather escaped most of the core of winter i.e. second half of Dec to end Feb with exception of that week or so in Jan which overall was just quite average for depths of winter. Winter 23-24 please reserve your coldest snowiest weather in the core cold depths please not early and late!

Posted

Now -15.6C at Altnaharra so a new coldest temperature of 2023 so far. 

Other low temperatures:

-13.9C Kinbrace 

-11.9C Loch Glascarnoch

-11.3C Resallach 

-10.5C Braemar

-10.1C Balmoral 

• Thanks 2