Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima recordings season 22-23

damianslaw

Posted
9 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

A few -6c around the Penrith area on Wunderground stations 

Mmm very suspect, I've taken a look at these, and they show -6 degrees in places such as Cartmel which is ridiculous, perhaps less so near Penrith, Shap was close to -7 degrees last reading. Wunderground I don't think is a good source at all.

Posted
9 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Mmm very suspect, I've taken a look at these, and they show -6 degrees in places such as Cartmel which is ridiculous, perhaps less so near Penrith, Shap was close to -7 degrees last reading. Wunderground I don't think is a good source at all.

I agree some can be sketchy. My station shows on there and pretty reliable but there’s one nearby that is sometimes much warmer than it should be in the summer so think it must have some radiated heat back from a wall or too close to concrete floor.

Sadly it’s 1.2c on mine at the moment!

Posted
4 minutes ago, lottiekent said:

I agree some can be sketchy. My station shows on there and pretty reliable but there’s one nearby that is sometimes much warmer than it should be in the summer so think it must have some radiated heat back from a wall or too close to concrete floor.

Sadly it’s 1.2c on mine at the moment!

Yes positioning is everything, my sensor is raised about 2 metres off the ground at least in a very sheltered northern aspect, but I do doubt it sometimes... it seems fairly accurate but less so in more extreme set ups when we have notably cold or warm weather about, it seems to get stuck..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.

It's minus 2 here in Hassocks and should likely get a few degrees colder by 6am. Doesn't often get this cold down here anymore, especially this early in the year! Was consistently colder when I was growing up as a kid over 30 years ago. There's only really one area now in Sussex that really gets some decent cold and that's a small section of the Sussex weald between Turners hill to the west of East grinstead and Heathfied. This includes the Ashdown forest which is noticeably colder because of it's elevation and exposure to the weather conditions. I've seen some very low temperatures up the top of there several times and there were a couple of occasions that stood out for me up there. Only last year I was working in forest row on the northern side of the Ashdown and at 5pm it was minus 2,just a 5 minute drive up the road to the top on the way home and it was minus 6 and felt proper cold. The other occasion was around 10 years ago in borderline airmass conditions. It was 5 degree's and heavy rain here and up there it was 2 degrees and around 3 inches of lying snow with almost white out conditions at times. I've lived in Sussex all my life and the cold at the top of Ashdown forest has left a marked impression on a few occasions for me. Altnaharra,aboyne or braemar are likely to see the lowest this winter in my opinion but there is likely to be localised spots that can and do get colder still.

Posted

Shap coldest spot overnight, -8.5, well according to BBC, coldest minimum so far. Shap does well in these set ups, far inland, high up, if there was snow cover, would have easily gone below -10 degrees. Need some snow cover to produce lower temps, Highlands should be much colder tonight, less cloud and snow cover. Can we go below -10 degrees, I think so!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

-7c this morning (Eastriggs), I’ll check what my weather station recorded when I get home but suspect -5c ish going by wunderground. 

I think -12/13c is practically guaranteed, the summit of cairngorm is showing lows at that temperature for Sunday/Monday, surely a valley in the highlands will smash through that

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Shap coldest spot overnight, -8.5, well according to BBC, coldest minimum so far. Shap does well in these set ups, far inland, high up, if there was snow cover, would have easily gone below -10 degrees. Need some snow cover to produce lower temps, Highlands should be much colder tonight, less cloud and snow cover. Can we go below -10 degrees, I think so!

Officially -8.9C at Shap overnight according to the Met-Office on Twitter.

The stations in the Highlands will be recording some very low temperatures over the weekend and into early next week as the winds will die down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Minimum Temperature Last 24h
12/08/2022 at 12:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1 Aonach Mor (United Kingdom)03041 -9.3°C

2 Shap (United Kingdom)03225 -8.9°C

3 Cairngorm (United Kingdom)03065 -8.5°C

4 Benson (United Kingdom)03658 -8.2°C

5 Pershore (United Kingdom)03529 -7.7°C

6 Cairnwell (United Kingdom)03072 -7.4°C

7  Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)03162 -7.4°C

8 Great Dun Fell (United Kingdom)03227 -7.4°C

9 Bournemouth Airport (United Kingdom)03862 -6.8°C

10 Rostherne No 2 (United Kingdom)03351 -6.6°C

11 Spadeadam (United Kingdom)03224 -6.3°C

12 Prestwick RNAS (United Kingdom)03136 -6.2°C

13 Yeovilton (United Kingdom)03853 -6.2°C

14 Carlisle (United Kingdom)03220 -6.1°C

15 Blackpool Airport (United Kingdom)03318 -5.9°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

• Thanks 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Minimum Temperature Last 24h
12/08/2022 at 12:00 UTC

No.LocationStation IDAmount

1 Aonach Mor (United Kingdom)03041 -9.3°C

2 Shap (United Kingdom)03225 -8.9°C

3 Cairngorm (United Kingdom)03065 -8.5°C

4 Benson (United Kingdom)03658 -8.2°C

5 Pershore (United Kingdom)03529 -7.7°C

6 Cairnwell (United Kingdom)03072 -7.4°C

7  Eskdalemuir (United Kingdom)03162 -7.4°C

8 Great Dun Fell (United Kingdom)03227 -7.4°C

9 Bournemouth Airport (United Kingdom)03862 -6.8°C

10 Rostherne No 2 (United Kingdom)03351 -6.6°C

11 Spadeadam (United Kingdom)03224 -6.3°C

12 Prestwick RNAS (United Kingdom)03136 -6.2°C

13 Yeovilton (United Kingdom)03853 -6.2°C

14 Carlisle (United Kingdom)03220 -6.1°C

15 Blackpool Airport (United Kingdom)03318 -5.9°C

Script courtesy of  Michael Holden of Relay Weather. Data courtesy of Ogimet

Quite impressive nearly -6 degrees Blackpool Airport, given its proximity to the coast. Shap the one to beat tonight!

• Like 2

Posted

-7.1 here in Great Asby, a few miles from Shap, and he coldest of 2022 so far. It reached -1.5 a while ago but is dropping back down now. First ice day in a while. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It reached -6.3℃ in the garden here overnight Tuesday 6th into Wednesday 7th which produced quite a display of frost by the morning.

Wasn't as cold here last night and today though but looks like it was more southern parts of the UK that got the colder temperatures last night.

• Like 2

Posted
8 hours ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

-7.1 here in Great Asby, a few miles from Shap, and he coldest of 2022 so far. It reached -1.5 a while ago but is dropping back down now. First ice day in a while. 

Ooh a cold one in East Cumbria, often is the coldest part of England in these set ups. Not sure if we will go as low as last night, bit more of a breeze and patchy cloud about.

Posted
9 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Ooh a cold one in East Cumbria, often is the coldest part of England in these set ups. Not sure if we will go as low as last night, bit more of a breeze and patchy cloud about.

-8.7 this morning!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Got down to -7.9℃ last night so a bit colder then the other night.

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Sawel said:

Benson -9.0C overnight. 

Target to beat. Surprised somewhere in the Highlands hasn't gone below -10 degrees as yet, probably too much cloud and wind, but highly expect this to happen in the days ahead.

Posted
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Target to beat. Surprised somewhere in the Highlands hasn't gone below -10 degrees as yet, probably too much cloud and wind, but highly expect this to happen in the days ahead.

Conditions aren't conducive in the Highlands yet for -10C or so - there's too much of a breeze and it has been cloudy with some places getting good snowfall. From Sunday, when winds die down and skies clear at night, there will be temperatures up there below -10C. Watch this space.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Sawel said:

Conditions aren't conducive in the Highlands yet for -10C or so - there's too much of a breeze and it has been cloudy with some places getting good snowfall. From Sunday, when winds die down and skies clear at night, there will be temperatures up there below -10C. Watch this space.

Yes just a case of waiting for the wind to drop and temps will plummet over the snow cover and in the clear arctic air.