Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Coldest minima recordings season 22-23

damianslaw

Posted

Going back to what I said about it being a pity that there's no official weather station in Tomintoul...

Could contain: Text

Edited by Sawel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing Fog, Clear blue skies and sunny (cold/warm), snow

Currently 2 c here but drove to an esso garage at 5am this morning through the Marlborough downs from Marlbrough to Burbage and the car thermometer dipped to - 7.5 c ! That's the coldest Ive seen for about 10 years. The frost is the thickest I have seen for a long long time. And the sun and blue skies have been glorious during the day. I think this has been a better cold spell for the south west than many others. It reminds me of the cold spells of my youth with had day after day of clear nights an sunny days and successively deeper dips in termperature with frost pockets lingering all day. I havent seen a cold sunny dry spell like this for a long long time. Its been wonderful. Not fussed about snow.

Edited by Atleastitwillbemild
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: V.cold winter.22c summer
2 hours ago, Atleastitwillbemild said:

Currently 2 c here but drove to an esso garage at 5am this morning through the Marlborough downs from Marlbrough to Burbage and the car thermometer dipped to - 7.5 c ! That's the coldest Ive seen for about 10 years. The frost is the thickest I have seen for a long long time. And the sun and blue skies have been glorious during the day. I think this has been a better cold spell for the south west than many others. It reminds me of the cold spells of my youth with had day after day of clear nights an sunny days and successively deeper dips in termperature with frost pockets lingering all day. I havent seen a cold sunny dry spell like this for a long long time. Its been wonderful. Not fussed about snow.

Couldn't agree more drove from  Portsmouth to eastleigh airport earlier today.minus 4 to minus 7 and incredible winter scenery. Why or how anyone would prefer wind and rain over this I have no idea

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Five consecutive air frosts here but all have been pretty light with -1.8C the lowest so far.

There's possibly a better chance of something colder over the next couple of nights but its been quite disappointing so far considering how little wind there has been.

Posted
On 10/12/2022 at 09:46, Sawel said:

-9.2C Eskdalemuir overnight.

Is this the lowest min so far? I think so.

Last night min was Benson -8.3 degrees. The next few nights are looking notably cold, and I would be very surprised if by Friday somewhere hasn't gone below -10 degrees. Tulloch Bridge is already -7.1 degrees.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Lowest here in Heswall, Wirral so far in this spell is -1.3C

Posted

I'm eating my words a little from earlier as we've just dropped to -2.8C making it the coldest December night here since 2012.

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Is this the lowest min so far? I think so.

Last night min was Benson -8.3 degrees. The next few nights are looking notably cold, and I would be very surprised if by Friday somewhere hasn't gone below -10 degrees. Tulloch Bridge is already -7.1 degrees.

Yes, it was the lowest of the season but will be blitzed tonight and tomorrow night too. 

Posted
57 minutes ago, Sceptical said:

Some impressive early evening temperatures for parts of Aberdeenshire.

Corgarff - 14.4c 8pm

Braemar- 11c 7pm

Wow, that's more like it! A proper cold spell!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Wow, that's more like it! A proper cold spell!

Corgarff down to -17.1 at midnight. That could drop lower around sunrise.

• Like 1

Posted

Official coldest UK temperature overnight goes to Braemar -16c provisional.

Corgarff hit -17.5c overnight.

Edited by Sceptical

Posted

Crikey! Last night's low was -15.9C at 4am at Candacraig, nr Ballater (elevation 250m). Today's high was -11.9C at 2 pm. And already back to -14.9C just after 5pm.  What's tonight going to drop to?

WOW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The UK Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW). WOW allows anyone to submit their own weather data, anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

Posted

Maximum temperature of -9.3C today in Braemar - assuming temps don't rise overnight then it will be the coldest day since December 2010. (Met-Office)

Edited by Sawel
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
36 minutes ago, Aleman said:

Crikey! Last night's low was -15.9C at 4am at Candacraig, nr Ballater (elevation 250m). Today's high was -11.9C at 2 pm. And already back to -14.9C just after 5pm.  What's tonight going to drop to?

WOW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

The UK Met Office Weather Observation Website (WOW). WOW allows anyone to submit their own weather data, anywhere in the world.

Just to note that on this date in 1981 it was -22.1 deg,not in Scotland but at Shawbury,England and the day after[tomorrows date 1981] it was -25.2 deg in the same locationwhich i believe was the second coldest day recorded in December at the time!

Edited by hillbilly
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Homegrown cold pool over the UK under not very cold uppers, don't need super cold to bring very low temps at this time of year, just some snow cover and a few days of cold with slack winds does the trick.

The max at Braemar is notably cold. This is now a very good cold spell, not exceptional, but turning into a notably cold one. Easily end up with the coldest spell in December since 2010, but not on a par with that one.

Every chance tonight will be colder than last night, and tomorrow equally as cold if not colder. This looks set to be the peak of the cold, from Wednesday slightly less cold, only a little so, temps creeping up very slowly thereafter until Saturday in south and west, and Sunday in the north and east.

• Like 1

Posted

Minus 14 on the car display yesterday morning. 

Today:

Could contain: Gauge, Tachometer

We should see very low temperatures coming in from the usual spots today.

Edited by Sceptical
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
On 11/12/2022 at 16:46, reef said:

Five consecutive air frosts here but all have been pretty light with -1.8C the lowest so far.

There's possibly a better chance of something colder over the next couple of nights but its been quite disappointing so far considering how little wind there has been.

What is your coldest minimum given coastal effects. I'm guessing you need a northerly as opposed to any other direction to avoid onshore breezes.

Posted

Offical coldest temperature of the year so far.

_127985969_ww-glenmore.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Heavy snow causes problems in Shetland as the temperature drops to -17.3C in Braemar, Aberdeenshire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2