Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
3 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

Noboby posted the UKMO 168?😍

ukmonh-0-168.thumb.png.40716ee4f8cb0102d248cdd27b204752.pngukmonh-1-168.thumb.png.35eb093e2f3661ce8dcb6670927350ba.png

this scenario is coming together nicely.

Edit: snap @Mark wheeler😉

Yeah I have been continuously refreshing the page for 30mins LOL . Its a great trend this evening so far for sure .

one question to you and others though, are the uppers here concerning at this stage on these charts ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
8 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

The real problem (IMO) here starts not at the Spanish low, but that there is insufficient 'push', coming down from the north. This can be seen also by virtue of the fact that the GFS takes longer to get the real cold air further south.  The GEM and ECM both have the more powerful  (and quicker0 polar front arrival here.  - Particularly the  stronger polar front coming down (with the GEM?), would push the low out of the way. 

MIA

I think the model output has firmed up on the Greenland high, I think the two main issues are a) whether the cold air over the Arctic pushes into Scandi because the high is so big and b) if the cold air heads straight towards us, will an area of low pressure act as a trigger? (and provide a big snow event?)

If the cold pushes directly into Scandi, this will make for a slower evolution but could bring a cold easterly further down the line.

I prefer outcome b). P15 in the GFS nails this perfectly.

image.thumb.png.35bc7119293adeb7ba9680df45f6ee83.pngimage.thumb.png.3fe30f2bf8846e845f7606210a9c2706.pngimage.thumb.png.61fcb176d00e551fe02db5f539d3fd57.pngimage.thumb.png.8024aa5a9913467550fd7fc228b6b271.png

You'd get sub zero maxima and -20C minima if that came off if there is deep snow cover. This is the most extreme scenario of course but we can hope!

Edited by Quicksilver1989
  • Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

Yeah I have been continuously refreshing the page for 30mins LOL . Its a great trend this evening so far for sure .

one question to you and others though, are the uppers here concerning at this stage on these charts ?

UKMO not perfect, not enough of that Scandi mass of low pressures makes it South and the little one over us looks like detaching from the main mass. ECM and GEM are 10/10, UKMO 7/10, GFS doesn't deserve a score.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Mark wheeler said:

No,not at all at 168 hours away because we won't know the severity of the cold blast from the north just yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I have been far from impressed by UKMO but maybe it is starting to smell the coffee. It is abundantly clear we haven't seen early winter potential like this since 2010 how UK surface weather evolves it is less clear but it is going to be cold if very cold on what we typically see.

693648460_UE144-21(1).thumb.gif.b66e6f7840d1b580054bf4f98a61ab64.gif

I have also published my winter forecast for 2022/23... feel free to check it out, feeling bold this year!

file.jpg
WWW.THESNOWDREAMER.BLOG

Winter Forecast Headlines: Overall over December, January and February the 3 months of meteorological winter, temperatures are forecast to be colder than average to 1991-2020 long-term average...

Very interesting read Daniel if you don’t mind me asking how did you get on with last winter and the one before ? 

Posted

The GFSP starts showing snow/sleet showers quite widely as early as Sunday. Next week could be interesting if that Iberian low meets cold enough Air - battleground snow etc…image.thumb.png.c78cd07e70396dc4b298749305b61e2c.png

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

GFS dosen't deserve a score, gone off again in FI, hope for good EC

image.thumb.png.2e670fd1f1c49daf07a2fae0af0af065.png

A temp chart for 14th Dec! Hardly worth mentioning. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, Polaris said:

Those 850s -8 are still way off. Need a real push for snow to lower levels. 

Remember that this model doesn't go that far out as to what the ECM,gem and gfs show,plus you can see kinks in that flow to the north on that chart i have circled,this would bring the colder uppers in an unstable flow.

ukmonh-0-168.thumb.png.dc6163a8ac1893c2b41f6c8d874a9f83.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, Noob said:

Im getting a little confused, i thought this was model output discussion moving into winter, from what limited knowledge i do know winter isnt even here yet. Yet ive read so many posts about 2010 comparison  on a winter thats been and gone over 12 years ago. If someone says looks a bit like it that should be it not posts trying to disprove a simple comment made as the weather hasn'st even happened yet . Im trying too learn but it becomes so difficult when you have to troll through post just to gain bits of knowledge and today has been so frustrating. Argue about it in a pm after the event has happened . Forgive my rant im 49 and find it so childish , just enjoy whats being shown .

Peace out  too all 

Did you miss the comparisons to December 1962?🤫

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Regarding 850s, worth bearing in mind that air sourced from the high Arctic gives us a bit more leeway versus North Atlantic, due to lower dew points.

Warm seas will counteract somewhat but on balance I can see around -5°C 850s being a reasonable benchmark for the setup. Maybe 1-2°C higher if & where winds fall light, away from coasts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

image.thumb.png.e63c5253ebada1473e6308fce7acb878.png

ECM well on its way here at +120h!  Enough to drag me out of my slumber, that's for sure. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
5 minutes ago, Noob said:

1962 i wasn't even born then and don't really care tbh lol

There are also signs of a 1947 redux in the good old longer term GFS>>>🤑

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ecm lining up nicely @120.. be nice for a mirror Synoptics of the Canadian 🤘....

• Like 1