Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - moving into Winter

Message added by Paul,

With winter now almost upon us, the model thread is getting ever busier, and as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter thread.  Or, head to the moans and ramps thread.

Just now, Eskimo said:

Anyone know why it takes models to eek out frames of data over a period of x-amount of time? Why does it take the ECM, for example, nearly an hour?

Somebody is watching the netweather forum to gauge members responses before teasing them with the next chart.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
7 minutes ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Are you referring to a West Based NAO?

Sorry I should have been clearer. No this morning the push south of the 1st fronts seem to gone through the Atlantic or far west  rather than the uk . Before this morning ecm gave us  a direct hit . Of course I am happy to wait a few days as long as we make it in the end . Still learning from others and thanks to all on thread for brilliant responses to any questions.

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 2

Posted

This slack low which has settled over us originates and has migrated from Scandi.

There must be some pretty cold air wrapped up in and in the instability anything could happen of a wintry nature.

image.thumb.png.f00dd042b16aa6b0ccfd434aafcf8d14.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, tight isobar said:

If anyone moans or waffles b####x regarding the ec 12z I’m gonna come round and poke ya in the eye 👁...💥

😂

Cheers,...iv'e just waisted my coffee on me lap.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

A polar low are not usually modelled until 24 to 48 hours. That is a nuisence shortwave which usually scupper cold set ups! If its over the UK it could bring more prolonged PPN but we need a clean flow before all of that. 

Not arguing with your analysis of the feature, i agree, it does look like a nuisance shortwave.

But just to say it has been pointed out previously that the improved resolution of some of the models over the past few years means polar lows can now crop up in the solutions a lot further out than 48hrs.  As to if they ever verify is another matter entirely.......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

I would guess there would be showers rotating around that low. However very low heights and slack winds will mean some very cold surface temperatures (negative double digit minima in favoured spots).

The day 8 chart is a tad frustrating. A reload from the north? A proper easterly under a sinking area of low pressure? We get neither really here but both options are there from day 7.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I mean I won’t ever take snow charts seriously even within a 24 hour time frame but I’ll bank 4cm and lows of -6 for my neck of the woods a week from today 🤣❄️🥶

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM T144 looks seriously wintry. Although, lows approaching from the NE aren't always as snowy as they might look.

But with SSTs running warm, they might be even snowier?😁

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Uppers are mixing out by D8 but we've probably got enough surface cold at this point to keep anything falling from the sky as snow

image.thumb.png.d93193477220cd946eb3b632b9d52e3a.png

• Like 6

Posted

I think there is similarities between this run and this mornings run, it's a good run though because you get the initial proper cold blast followed by slack low pressure with the potential for some nice frosty weather. 

Obviously if you want something more long term, the initial northerly needs to be further eastwards but amplification to remain as good as the ECM shows and not like the UKMO run for example. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Night and midday temperatures next Friday from the ECM, very cold

2mtemp_20221201_12_186.jpg

image.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2