Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2022/23 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
55 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

Looks like the 2nd half of this month will be as vile as the first half was interesting, sadly. Shades of July 2017 where frequent decent summer weather in the first 17 days was replaced by one of the worst "summer" periods in modern times for the last two weeks. Shades also of December 2012, but running four days later - that month had some decent dry cold weather for the first 13 days before being universally and continuously vile for the final 18.

The Christmas/New Year period, and perhaps mid-winter  (from about mid-Dec to early Feb) in general is almost universally drab, dreary and unpleasant. Nothing but damp, humid, oppressive, moisture-laden bland gloomy SAD-inducing southwesterlies. Completely devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever - the north-western European winter really is a horrible experience.

Met Office forecast pretty hopeless right out to 11th Jan ("risk of overnight frosts"? Overnight frosts ought to be the norm in midwinter!), which means I fear much of the rest of the winter will be a write-off and we'll only get the blocking back once spring is knocking on the door.

All anyone can say is watch this space 😉 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Looks like the 2nd half of this month will be as vile as the first half was interesting, sadly. Shades of July 2017 where frequent decent summer weather in the first 17 days was replaced by one of the worst "summer" periods in modern times for the last two weeks. Shades also of December 2012, but running four days later - that month had some decent dry cold weather for the first 13 days before being universally and continuously vile for the final 18.

The Christmas/New Year period, and perhaps mid-winter  (from about mid-Dec to early Feb) in general is almost universally drab, dreary and unpleasant. Nothing but damp, humid, oppressive, moisture-laden bland gloomy SAD-inducing southwesterlies. Completely devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever - the north-western European winter really is a horrible experience.

Met Office forecast pretty hopeless right out to 11th Jan ("risk of overnight frosts"? Overnight frosts ought to be the norm in midwinter!), which means I fear much of the rest of the winter will be a write-off and we'll only get the blocking back once spring is knocking on the door.

Personally i prefer a NW European winter to a Western Canada winter 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
45 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

Shame we saw no snow in Exeter despite a couple of ice days.

I agree, on the radar it looked like it was avoiding Exeter but it so rarely snows here, it's just been very freezing lately, bring on the mild south-westerly's 🙂 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Summer8906 said:

Sometimes, but only in the very worst winters... November and December fit that bill more so. January and February have a different feel... Atlantic spells tend to be brighter, chillier, more capable of delivering wintriness (chiefly because westerlies and northwesterlies become more common) and anticyclones last longer as well as cold spells occur more easily and can hold longer.

That's one plus I would consider of this recent spell, is that it's happened during the part of the winter most likely to be Atlantic-dominated. As such, I see it as a bonus, and will judge the winter as a whole taking into account the post Christmas to mid Feb period more significantly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (Mostly)

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Map

No chance...GFS 12z   Christmas eve.   Note the face laughing at the UK hovering over Norway?  Taunting us. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
8 minutes ago, Noob said:

So much for the deep freeze 5 degress today and not a frost for 2 days....seems the weather will do the opposite to what any model says 

Stayed below freezing for 2 days on the spin here 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
12 minutes ago, Noob said:

So much for the deep freeze 5 degress today and not a frost for 2 days....seems the weather will do the opposite to what any model says 

Since just before 5pm Saturday I haven’t got above -0.2 here that’s 90+ hours sub zero!In BFTE 2018 I was 104 consecutive hours so may even beat that!I call that impressive and tbh the models have underestimated level of cold here by about 1-1.5 degrees each day(maybe because of snow cover?)

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

As often the case away from Scotland, snow in northerly set ups tends to favour coastal and edge locations, there has been a broad swathe through centre of England that has been devoid of snow, but this has also been the coldest part of England. On the cold front this is a very good spell especially so early in the season, snowfall wise very poor in the Lake District, most of the fells have mo snow at all. We tend to see more snow in marginal set ups with atlantic fronts, as will happen this weekend, and quite probably next week.

Yeah, here in Leeds there is nothing memorable or noteworthy about this cold spell. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc
38 minutes ago, Noob said:

Where I am - 5 inches of snow in the garden from Sunday still, not been above freezing since Saturday. I’ve had to google it but it’s -4c currently. Officially I’m in the south west! So depends where you are (and not necessarily the  Cairngorms). 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Summer Sun said:

BBC going for 16c in Plymouth on Monday. From winter to Spring in a matter of days!

Could contain: Suit, Formal Wear, Clothing, Coat, Text, Number, Symbol, Crowd, Person, Face

Was thinking some kind of date record for 19th would go, as expected in Dec to Feb, it's for warmth

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

BBC going for 16c in Plymouth on Monday. From winter to Spring in a matter of days!

Could contain: Suit, Formal Wear, Clothing, Coat, Text, Number, Symbol, Crowd, Person, Face

Hmm...nice, bar the rain. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Close to being summer like (bar the rain)

That's what a warming world does.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Skullzrulerz said:

Warming?! Hmm..down to minus 4c already here; forecast to go to -7c by 5.00am - a right bonecruncher!!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, emmett garland said:

No Frost here in Dublin since Monday night 

We had Freezing Fog where I live in Dublin, Didnt go above 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 hour ago, Skullzrulerz said:

He looks like a suited and booted Cheshire Cat.😂

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms and sunshine

3 days in a row sub zero here and the lowest daytime temperature (-2.1c)  since I got my weather station in 2013. All this in unremarkable Lincolnshire. Not a bad start to winter surely. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another couple of inches of snow today here to top up Monday’s fall. Chilly maximum of -3°C. Everything looks very pretty though

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Skullzrulerz said:

That’s what getting a bit carried away with the weather broadcast creation does… 🥴

Posted
On 13/12/2022 at 19:09, stainesbloke said:

The 80’s are my favourite decade for music by far. Today's offerings are generally horrible. 80’s winters were generally better, too. As were the summer thunderstorms!

Too right. 2020s music is woeful in comparison. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Too right. 2020s music is woeful in comparison. 

Not a big fan of 80s music personally. My favourite music period is late 90s/early 2000s trance/dance. 

Weatherwise that was an excellent period for hot, sunny weather: 

Edited by cheese