Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion. 3/12/2022. How cold will it get?

Message added by Paul,

Winter has arrived and the model thread is very busy, as such it's important to keep it on topic. So, please keep your posts to discussing the model output, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

Posted

Just a reminder that it was the mighty Navgem that was the first that refused to believe that pseudo hurricane would steam in!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Alexis said:

Just a reminder that it was the mighty Navgem that was the first that refused to believe that pseudo hurricane would steam in!

I only trust the NASA and Navgem models 😁

• Like 5

Posted

Could contain: Smoke Pipe, Chart

MOGREPS looks bitter Thurs +Fri night in Manchester!!

Probably knock a couple of degrees off for my more rural and elevated place ,could be looking at -8 here !! ❄️🤪

Not many members bring surface temps above zero out to the 13th ..

Bye bye Atlantic 

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 7

Posted

Morning all,ECM 00z now showing the intense low pressure system from the Azores heading into the Mediterranean a major adjustment all due to the intense cold heavey column of air to the north.Looking possible for a long protracted cold/ very cold period for the U.K.,in regards to the white stuff that will depend on Arctic trough’s heading south,but Scotland and the north of England looking likely for a descent amount.

• Like 6

Posted

Very unusual (for us) to be getting upgrades just prior to a cold spell, but I half suspected it was on the cards as many have been saying the models have a tendancy to over-inflate low's especially with cold air in place and the Greenland Block. 

With the LP flow dominating I think we all need to be keeping a close eye on little disturbances/surface lows as this will be the key driver for snowfall events over the next week or so - I would not be at all surprised to see some decent falls pretty much anywhere. The one I'm particularly interested in at present is over next weekend Saturday into Sunday as a LP sweeps SE - albeit likely very localised (as is always the case with snowfall) this could really deliver for some in Southern counties and will likely develop/change over the coming days.

Some lucky ones could be in for a very snowy scene by Sunday/Monday - no doubts! Fine detail to be resolved.... 

• Like 4

Posted

For those worrying about snow I've just watched Carol Kirkwood suggesting snow Northern Scotland on Wed and snow showers for NW England on Thurs...

Although EC/UKMO have us bone dry ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Good progress (if it's cold you're after) this morning

I still don't like the last frames of both UKMO and ECM. Iberian heights trying to build again on ECM's last frame but nothing to worry about at this stage. UKMO 168's pattern is still a bit far north for my liking and the trough to the north west of Spain isn't elongating enough but it certainly could do so, eventually, while giving us some battleground snow in the south

GFS is very good

One caveat, ECM is amongst the very coldest run in its ensembles for 850s. 

Could contain: Chart

And the GS op is also a relatively cold run although, it looks to me, they have trended colder overnight

Could contain: Chart

No bitter cold but it'll be cold enough for snow

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

A rare potential victory for the GFS as the Euro and GEM capitulate and keep the cold through day 10.

Signs also that the UK/Scandi Low will weaken and turn the flow more easterly.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Face, Person, Head

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Nick F said:

Does look very dry away from coasts on the 00z EC out to day 10.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Person, Map

EC and the UKV don't bring any ppn for most from the cold front that drops south on Thursday too. Though GFS does.

But with clear skies likely for many most nights, a widespread hard frost likely. Going to keep the Dec rolling average temp decently below I suspect.

EC and UKV cannon fodder at this stage with troughs. Thursday morning itself should do 1-4mm inland. Plus those 1-2mms in the east should be more like 4-5 with that level of convection in the north sea.

• Like 2

Posted

Gotta love the way a cold fi leads to Dickensian winter posts and a mild one that ‘winter is over’ 

if it’s after day 7 then it’s really doesn’t exist 

all the nwp is a degree of fantasy as it’s all in the future but once you get a week away, you really are pinning the tail on the donkey. 

note that the ec00z looks far more aligned to the  day 7/10 day clusters it was put in yesterday rather than the actual run we saw. 

note that the gfs is still pretty much in line with what it was offering in that same period last couple runs 

note that the Ukmo now wants to meander the Azores low towards us but might it slide if there was a day 8 ??

extended ens means output are flattening the Atlantic somewhat but still retain n high anoms which still have to settle on a general locale so little to deduce atm.  A second wave of scandi troughing is certainly on the table (as is a more zonal offering) 

all just observations - nothing more 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
4 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

EC and UKV cannon fodder at this stage with troughs. Thursday morning itself should do 1-4mm inland. Plus those 1-2mms in the east should be more like 4-5 with that level of convection in the north sea.

Yes, I think the models often underestimate the amount of shower activity that gets inland from coasts and they often won't pick up on convective disturbances that form or convergence zones at this range, which can be a big players in bringing precipitation inland in these polar flows.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
4 minutes ago, Alexis said:

Just a quick note that sea temperatures around the UK have really plummeted around the UK over the last week. They are very close to average in most areas now, so I think we need to dispense with the notion that they are particularly high now.

https://seatemperatures.net/europe/united-kingdom/

This is a great spot, and bodes well.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Yes, I think the models often underestimate the amount of shower activity that gets inland from coasts and they often won't pick up on convective disturbances that form or convergence zones at this range, which can be a big players in bringing precipitation inland in these polar flows.

If the modelled wind speeds are right, then at least during this week snow accumulations from north sea showers really will be confined to a 15 mile coastal strip (for the first phase of the cold snap - i.e. up to Friday). The nne wind tends to push showers down the coast rather than inland. Inland areas will likely be relying on troughs

The western side is a different story, more instability and wind is more directly inland so more interesting for streamers & inland snowfalls here

• Like 2