Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Snow is now sticking to wet pavements, temp 0.9C, dp freezing.

• Like 2

Posted

The rain shadow has definately made its presence felt here been nothing but light rain only a few times with the odd threaten of turning wintry. I just can't see how it will change either as the colder air just make things even drier. 

Suppose the models did show this possibility but it still sucks. 

Hopefully other parts of the region can get their rewards tonight. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Ice
3 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

One positive from here on in is the temp is dropping, we have lost a degree since 2pm, now 1.8 degrees and with minima solar input, ground surface temps should start to lower notably, under any heavier precipitation I reckon we should start to see a cover in the next couple of hours, it just needs to be heavy enough. Its through the latter part of the evening and early hours when the most sustained and heavy precipitation is forecast, coinciding with when we begin to pull in colder air from the north as well.

As some have said this event was never supposed to get going until late afternoon i.e. now, and real main course is evening and overnight.. we shall see what happens..

Heavier snow now starting to approach the Lake District, It has certainly got heavier in the north and settling readily. Temp 0.7c wind also picking up

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Rob 79812010 said:

Think I'm still not fully understanding the shadow effect!🙄

I'm based in Ashton-U-Lyne just under 200m above sea level but we have barely seen any snow for 10 years I think my daughter has been sledging once as we just have not had snow where we are due to the hills around Manchester for our shadow unless we get a irish sea streamer in a very specific direction or a very strong easterly/north easterly that makes it over the hills (2009/2010 style) we just dont get snow that even lies despite our height

in other words, if its cold enough to snow it wont snow, but its its warm enough to rain we will get rain rain and more rain.  Someone explained its to do with the upward movement when the air is colder but i cannot remember the exact reason for this happening

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Text

The MO app shows a big void over Lancs later and the heaviest precipitation coming back down through Wales. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Spah1 said:

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Text

The MO app shows a big void over Lancs later and the heaviest precipitation coming back down through Wales. 

I think that’s more Cheshire to be honest pal.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Snow falling seems to come in waves.

Same here.  Much more falling snow than I expected, sadly zero settling so far. 

Different story above 250m...although the hills I can normally see have disappeared into the gloom again now the snow has pepped up.  I'm sure it's still accumulating well up there though.

Edited by Maz
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, bridgechad said:

I'm based in Ashton-U-Lyne just under 200m above sea level but we have barely seen any snow for 10 years I think my daughter has been sledging once as we just have not had snow where we are due to the hills around Manchester for our shadow unless we get a irish sea streamer in a very specific direction or a very strong easterly/north easterly that makes it over the hills (2009/2010 style) we just dont get snow that even lies despite our height

in other words, if its cold enough to snow it wont snow, but its its warm enough to rain we will get rain rain and more rain.  Someone explained its to do with the upward movement when the air is colder but i cannot remember the exact reason for this happening

Yes you're spot on. If the winds turn northerly we may get some later. These fronts moving SW NE are never good for Manchester and from what I've read about, never were. The big snow events for Manc are from those systems you mention. 63,79, 96, 2010 and 2018. Trouble is they don't happen very often. The Irish sea streamers are definitely are friend and Manc has done well in recent years with these. They don't last long though!! Maybe tonight will be mega....   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
14 minutes ago, bridgechad said:

Yes apart from 2013, 2018 it's not exactly been fantastic in the last 10 years but those were exceptional cold spells and not really the norm for the UK, they never have been really. I'm guessing your up near hazelhurst? as that's the only residential place in Ashton of that height. That can be a bloody good area for snow not too far from Mossley and Hartshead pike, far better than areas west of Tameside. I used to live off Rose hill rd and the amount of times we had good snow cover and relatives in Droylsden had nothing at all I'd be rich haha. I guess if your expectations are high and want to be knee deep in it every year you will be disappointed but this is the UK.

Edited by Dark Horse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Temp dropping away now and snow is falling again.

• Like 2

Posted

I'd love to know what the Met Office app is on. I can't see where this forecast snow is coming from in the next few hours. Looks like a clearance coming from the SW to me for a while. The main interest is much later this evening. 

Could contain: Text, Symbol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Snowing again 

• Like 4

Posted
29 minutes ago, Iceaxecrampon said:

Try living on the Fenland. 

Didn’t they call Boundary Park ice Station zebra? It certainly was when we were there  a few times.

They call it that in the summer lol...helped up last night though we scraped a winner in injury time.  Must have been too cold for the visitors to hold on.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Worth noting that there is no longer any rain. Even the small flakes are proper snow now.