Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Rainfall amounts constantly being upgraded here. Haven't ventured out yet. Great day for the ducks.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Buxton only 50mm. Very orographic is this. Up to 92mm now.

woah.. 

• Like 8

Posted
42 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

There was some heavy rain early in the morning around 4-5am but otherwise the rain shadow seems to have been pretty effective around Greater Manchester. Just a wet and windy day but nothing unusual. 

Crazy to think that just over the hills there are places that are getting absolutely hammered.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Rain shadow in full effect here leaden skies blustery with just odd spots of rain 

• Like 6

Posted

Yeah rain shadow still doing it's thing, some slightly heavier bursts but nothing much. Just in the amber warning but if this pattern continues i don't think it will be too bad here.

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, jam2010 said:

Yeah rain shadow still doing it's thing, some slightly heavier bursts but nothing much. Just in the amber warning but if this pattern continues i don't think it will be too bad here.

There is a distinct rain shadow, west side of Pennines all the way through into Eden Valley and east fells. Whereas the rain has pepped up in central and west lakes. I'd like to understand more about the reason for such effect. 

• Like 7

Posted

Thought I'd put this on here. Been like this almost all day here. Rain east and west but really under the rain shadow here as well. If it wasn't for the wind it would be a decent day. 

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted

Frequent conveyor belt of showers from the North West would produce a wetter day here.  Very sheltered in the rain shadow.  Completely different story on the eastern side of the Pennines.  Chesterfield in particular looks to have suffered with it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

A perfect illustration of the rain shadow affect but also showing how the Wirral and Liverpool are just far enough West to be largely unaffected, this is why I prefer these rare systems in Winter as we can do very well with snowfall.

Screenshot2023-10-20134344.thumb.png.2794bb64ff634f24c92750d043fba0c4.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Just on the heavy side of the rain shadow, so we’ve had constant heavy rain in saddleworth. Some roads are flooding.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

We don't seem to be in the shadow here. Pretty much non stop rain all day. Currently hunkering down in McDonald's at crown point, not normally my scene in these junk outlets 😂 loads of surface water out there.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

The intensity of the rainfall has reduced a little compared to this morning, but it is a relentless steady rain, no notable shadow effects this far West. 49.6mm so far.

• Like 8

Posted

Ashwood Park in Buxton 2 hours ago although things have changed since then as parts of the town centre & A6 to Matlock which runs alongside the river Wye are now impassable. Even the Goyt which is generally level-controlled has rapidly risen and expected to flood further downstream within the next few hours.

391578122_25010289768570471_362619041001548324_n.thumb.jpg.ce7ed13acfefe5873ed8fcf4a6ed22d0.jpg393920551_10168006023420103_712700546972104325_n.thumb.jpg.e2d71162b9733d25bad7ae9bc3b1b11c.jpg

Edited by toggerobz
  • Like 8

Posted

I think we'll rarely see a better example of the rain shadow effect from an easterly. Currently on 15mm of rain here for the day when those closer to the western Pennines have had a far wetter day. For those from Wakefield to Chesterfield it's been so much worse.

Intriguing how these set ups don't tend to work the other way round. Under a stationary front and a westerly we wouldn't usually be looking at 100mm plus. It's almost lake effect rain from the North Sea.

At least its not mid winter with sub zero temps. They'd be buried and we'd have nowt to speak of. 

• Like 6

Posted

Mmm jury out on the accuracy of today's rain radar. Currently it shows heavy precipitation over Coniston Fells. Yet I can see them in full view from my window with high cloud above them, clear as a bell... unless pouring down with high cloud. Just all seems very strange rainfall distribution on the radar. It can have days when its faulty. Best to look out the window today. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
50 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Greater Manchester area was badly hit on the 19th October 1971 with huge  rainfall totals

2.49 inches of rain in 24 hours at Manchester whilst Oldham had 3.44 inches of rain in 18 hours

image.thumb.png.b45eb092eb71f1d49a5d2c3b4fbf0545.png

image.thumb.png.8eb673d61109b3107d5f19acc5825cce.png  image.thumb.png.34b0901d24f02ad019fdca05343bf6ac.pngimage.thumb.png.ee69dddf901417abcde8939f648edaff.pngimage.thumb.png.13359ee5d8ed2b207a035f8863ecc654.png 

Showing my age but pretty sure I remember it, all the local kids stood at a safe distance watching the Irwell overflowing and taking all sorts of debris down Burnley Road into the town centre.

we weren’t allowed to venture any further so don’t know how bad the centre was but as a 10 year old, I’d never seen flooding like that.

Edited by iand61
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
CHECK-FOR-FLOODING.SERVICE.GOV.UK

Find river, sea, groundwater and rainfall levels in England. Check the last updated height, trend and state recorded by the measuring...

• Like 5

Posted

@toggerobz

Could contain:

Tesco at risk to name a few businesses in the flood zone

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

@toggerobz

Could contain:

Tesco at risk to name a few businesses in the flood zone

Nothing significant of note locally just yet minus the few isolated places where it generally overflows into the park, in these situations we're fortunate that the Goyt Dams can somewhat withhold the rain to more manageable levels although it's inevitable that within the next few hours they'll have to fully open Errwood & Fernilee to slacken the pressure.

From 1/4 mile away I can hear the Toddbrook pumps which are hard at work as the E.A. are continually managing the fine balancing act between diverting the water away from Toddbrook, into the Goyt, without overloading the Goyt further downstream. Although at some point what's being held at the Goyt Dams will need to be released which is when places close to the river & further downstream will have a better idea of the impact Babet could bring. 

https://riverlevels.uk/goytside-farm-saddleworth-goytside-farm

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Nothing more than a wet day here so far with 33mm in the last 24 hours and 15 in the last 6 which is only half of what has been recorded at Blackstone Edge reservoir less than 7 miles away.

it just shows the rain shadow effect with a SE flow.

that said it’s the worst possible direction for me and with a strong wind I came home to the 💧 💧 of water getting under the flashing and into the living room.

It’s temporarily sorted with a bucket and thankfully it’s stopped again anyway but the last time this happened was Feb 2020 with Storm Ciara which dumped a lot more rain here but I assume from a similar direction.

putting it into perspective though, I’m sure that there are a lot up and down the country wishing that a single bucket would sort their flooding problems.

• Like 7

Posted

G-TAWD TUI 737-800 not having a good week. It Left Manchester for Kos on Tuesday and had to return after burning fuel off for 2 hours over Blackburn. 

Today,  it returned from Corfu and ran off the runway at Leeds Bradford 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Been dry here since lunchtime. Rain shadow has even got this far west. More of a north-easterly wind today which is a bit unusual so a different shape to the shadow.

• Like 6