Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

18z gfes so far...

Could contain: Chart

Interesting cluster below the mean and op from 14th...

Edited by minus10
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

If the models are struggling how far north the low will get over the next 4 days, then how can we trust any FI output!? Until we clear that off, we can’t know for sure how long the cold May hold on for. Also the Scandi trough, how strong will that get? We don’t yet know! These small differences over the next 48 hours could change a lot over the next week or two! That’s why we are starting to see model disagreements creeping in. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
14 minutes ago, minus10 said:

18z gfes so far...

Wow many go Cold 🥶 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES said:

You know what they say DRL..you can keep some of the people happy some of the time,but you'll never keep all of the people happy all of the time! And in fairness your a really good moderator who let's the place run pretty smoothly and fluently...like a good referee who rather than keep issuing yellow cards, will instead have a quite word in the players ears and tell them to calm it..and that always gets the most respect out of the players!

Sorry to go off topic there. 

Plus he knows his stuff😃. Anyway, it's not like moderating is an exact science, it's very much subjective, having been one once myself, everyone believes they are in the right and it's hard to get a good balance but I think the moderator's have got it basically spot on, on here.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

The overriding pattern still points towards the polar vortex sitting primarily over the north Asia/Siberia local with continuing higher than average heights over Greenland and a general trend to put the uk in lower heights. Make of it what you will but we are in the ball park for a cold few weeks I would say. 

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

All agreed that we love the WRF-NMM in the south and the midlands for delivering the snow right?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Vegetation, PlantCould contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Outdoors, Nature, Vegetation, Plant

I mean I won't be complaining 😆

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
42 minutes ago, minus10 said:

18z gfes so far...

Sorry just realised these are the short gets, it's weird to see some warm runs back, hopefully they don't happen.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Why is it the models always like to end the week on a tease. It's almost like it doesn't want us to have a late lie in past 4am. Luckily the last chase fell on my night shifts but please models be kind & give us some consensus.

To be fair I've fancied a Greeny reload or thereabouts for some time seeing as the Atlantic is largely MIA 🤞

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, MJB said:

gensnh-0-1-240.png

240 Control looks good to me 

An Iceland high with low undercutting, it chase the slider time perhaps.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

As of midnight:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Vegetation, Plant, White Board

Was it forecasted?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, PersonWRF-NMM 2k 18z - not bad

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Atlas, Map, Diagram, PersonWRF-NMM 0.05 18z - a bit too coastal

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Head, PersonUKMO HD 12z - largely coastal

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, PersonARPEGE 0.1 18z - largely coastal

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramICON-EU 21z - only coastal

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, DiagramUKV 21z - needed more precip

All have picked up on something happening in the area, but most have underplayed the inland penetration and/or amount of precipitation.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Regardless of your weather preferences, you have to admit these are some very unusual synoptics for the second week of December (where you'd expect a roaring jet stream with rain band after rain band after rain band...)

ezgif-4-974b865750.gif

Edited by Earthshine
Wrong gif uploaded
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Just read the novel,...this thread and i like what i see but i needed these as it's getting on...

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Photography, Portrait, Man, Adult, Male, Sad🥱😁

some stunning commentary in here this evening and @nick sussex  is like the Piccaso at giving us the art form of the models,..love it Nick and i am glad that you are back posting,i hope you are well and enjoying your vacation mate😉

i think that the gfs op/control will slow down with their progression bais of the pattern being blown away into a more zonal pattern as they are out of kilter with the other models even into/borderline reliable,the atlantic profile looks so much different from 144-168 hrs,...FL 120 tops IMO as always.

You can see from these two means from both the gefs and EPS at 144 hrs that the gefs keeps the -ve height(low) out into the Atlanic attached to the one SW of the uk whereas the EPS doesn't,we need this seperation of the two to gain amplitude/+ve heights up towards our NW,this would in turn prolong the cold spell for the UK.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Pattern, Face, Head, Modern Art, ArtCould contain: Person, Modern Art, Art, Pattern

the 18z gfs control is easier on the eye right now out to day ten>

removes matchsticks

G'night

Could contain: Portrait, Head, Face, Person, Photography, Man, Adult, Male, Tie, CoatCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

Oh and one last thing,...the EPS regime projections are signaling another amplified blocking regime in -NAO  territory.

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

As I'm on night shifts from tonight I'm up for the early morning runs. Thought I'd post a bit about the Icon 0z run. Seems to have lost the signal for any SE snow on Sunday into Monday but instead it brings convective style E/NE winds to the SE Tuesday night and Wednesday Morning  by t150 it is much improved with the ridging towards Greenland compared to yesterday's previous run-- a big step towards the 12z ECM op?

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Land, Outdoors, Nature, Sea, Water, Map, Face

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

Could contain: Sea, Nature, Outdoors, Water, Plot, Chart, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Person, Face, Head

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Person, Map

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 6