Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Yes there is evidence of a more typical pattern coming at least for a while.

I posted in the Strat thread a couple of days ago of the warning signs .

Ah sod it then... Let's just meet back here next year. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Jake March-Jones said:

Did I say he wasn't credible? 

No. I was asking that 🙂 anyway was a nice sidebar whilst we wait forbtge 18z.. be nice to see the op follow one the 12z perbs that were breaching -10 Christmas weekend

Posted
15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It’s closing off the high over ne Canada and west Greenland . And the changes to get to that point started within T96 hrs .

It does indeed look more wedgy in the right places.

I think that's the best we can hope for over  Xmas week, the pattern just enough south the allow snowfall somewhere, most likely northern UK at this point.

After that we are looking for euro heights to relax when the mjo moves away from phase 4 and 5. Notably the gem is the fastest into 6 and 7

Potentially the USA cold blast may provide some WAA up the west coast of Greenland if we get lucky.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Wheel, Machine, Bicycle, Vehicle, Transportation

Edited by Battleground Snow
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

No. I was asking that 🙂 anyway was a nice sidebar whilst we wait forbtge 18z.. be nice to see the op follow one the 12z perbs that were breaching -10 Christmas weekend

Ha... Maybe. But maybe we will come crashing down to earth? 

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
19 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

This is the tweet I was referencing . . .

Could contain: Page, Text

I think all I need to know here is that the data source in this and the other tweet is GFS at a range >14 days. Pause for laughter and move on.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Regarding the strat coupling - the upper strat will be approaching record strength in week 2. I find it inconceivable that the modelling will not show this strength downwelling towards the trop - gfs ops have been showing this. The question is does it actually make it far enough down to affect the trop and if it does, at what latitude does it affect the NH. I expect  that trop patterns will still hold sway and if the strength works down then HLB in place will be not be blown away.  Additionally, there is the question as to how well the ens will model the strat and its interaction with the trop.

I think this adds an extra piece of uncertainty into the nwp.  to be fair to the ens, the modelling is following the extended ens as it ticks down but I have no faith that we aren’t going to see a change for week 2 against what is currently being shown. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted

The news about the strat/trop coupling doesn't surprise me in the least as we approach January. I am astounded at the lack of cold during January's in the UK over the last 30 plus years. It should be deep mid winter but it delivers nothing. Just imagine if we had never experienced any decent warm spells in July over the last few decades. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
20 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

A few date records here and there in November yup but the likes of November 2000 in western USA and November 2006/2012 in western Canada were colder.

What is making the cold spell over North America so strong is the fact that the atmospheric circulation pattern is so extreme. You've got an 1060mb high in the Arctic maintaining its intensity as it moves south. The 850s therefore face little moderation going straight over a continental area because the airmass is moving south so fast.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, MapCould contain: Modern Art, Art, Plot, Chart

The uppers over the Arctic may be a degree or 2 warmer then in previous decades but if you get a cold pool and an extreme atmospheric circulation pattern tapping into it, you can still get cold extremes.

It's like the beast from the east in March 2018, if you get an even more extreme cold atmospheric circulation pattern you can still beat cold records but that extra heat circulating around our globe will be elsewhere.

I am critical of those who think cold winters will become a thing of the past, like the ludicrous claim from the MO that ice days will become a thing of the past. If our weather variations are becoming more extreme... then we will beat warm records by a larger margin (December 2015 as an example) but still beat cold records.

Lets just hope at some point we can get one of those cold extremes for us, the last 2 weeks have been a nice try but it was just a surface cold pool building after a period of relatively cold uppers coming in after last weeks northerly.

Good question though.

Thanks for informative reply Q, appreciated

BFTP

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

I think all I need to know here is that the data source in this and the other tweet is GFS at a range >14 days. Pause for laughter and move on.

Exactly. One day we say gfs is thr worst kf the bunch and next day write of the winter in the back of it . Anyway Marco am sure has a firm dislike for the cold stuff. 

Truth is , we have to wait and see. 3 weeks into the winter guys !

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

After taking a tumble on the ice today, I’ve change my mind I want all model output to be mild

BRING ON THE BLOW TORCH! 

(sadly no luck with another colder spell) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

So primed to drop a Cross polar flow over us.. if we can just keep on building those mid Atlantic heights..annoying as it looks feasible but you kinda now the outcome with other models and previous runs. But we still crack on.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
1 hour ago, fromey said:

Actually it was 

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Plot, Chart, Face, Head, Text, Page

LOL and the original post said early January onwards , whereas JC's comment is ............early January . 

Enough said 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
1 hour ago, Speedbird said:

This is the tweet I was referencing . . .

Could contain: Page, Text

Didn’t they say the same in November stating beginning of December Strengthening polar vortex didn’t happen we went in to freezer.

Could contain: Person, Man, Adult, Male, Face, Head

Edited by Scandinavian High.
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Here’s the Atlantic WAA link up at T168 - hopefully a better outcome 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Nudge the whole pattern south and east and it's a belter!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature, DiskCould contain: Plot, Chart, Art, Map, OutdoorsCould contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map, Sea, Water, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 1

Posted

C’mon, surely this ends up good 🥶 No doubt the Greeny heights will sink before pushing everything to our East 🙄

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

C’mon, surely this ends up good 🥶

Just think the euro heights being pumped up by the trough we want to move south east will scupper it.. chicken & egg catch 22

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scandinavian High. said:

Didn’t they say the same in November stating beginning of December Strengthening polar vortex didn’t happen we went in to freezer.

They are hopeless, for some reason people hang on there every word as if it’s gospel. They change as often as the models.

Best prediction for UK winter especially the South is mild and wet.

• Thanks 1

Posted

And there you have it 12 hours later the trough can’t force the euro heights and will now set to south west waving at us for a while until it fills..

1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

Get the heights into Greenland and the rest will fall into place. Better run

Upstream is not really the issue in my view and has not been for several days of modelling. It’s downstream and how the heck to bin off those euro heights 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 minute ago, TSNWK said:

And there you have it 12 hours later the trough can’t force the euro heights and will now set to south west waving at us for a while until it fills..

Yep GFS following the ECM