Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - the cold has arrived

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Posted

So we are looking at christmas day at the earliest for the next cold snap and possibly a white christmas you only need a few flakes..

CFS..and GEM gives you a little hope..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Under normal circumstances you'd like to think on the 18th of Dec a 12z run won't be far off wrong for the 24th / 25th of December but clearly this is knife edge stuff..

Even if UKMO and GFS look similar to ICON I still won't relax until the Grinch ( EC) comes on board.

think we could be waiting until Wednesday before the track of any low will be decided 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Good start to the 12z lets hope its a small snow ball at the top of the hill and once it gets to the end its a big Boulder. A bit further south please 😉

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Map

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

One of the big bookmakers suspended betting on a White Christmas at midday. Clearly they mustn't have been reading this thread & instead possibly checking the latest models. Good luck if you got anything better than evens for oop North

ezgif-5-5adf0417b6.gif

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

So GFS just 72h in but little changes here can matter later.

Polar high is slightly better placed as with the 06z so hopefully that can help the trough dig S in the mid term, especially if we manage a link up with our waning Greenland heights, albeit a temporarily

gfsnh-0-72.png?12

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
5 minutes ago, geordiekev said:

One of the big bookmakers suspended betting on a White Christmas at midday. Clearly they mustn't have been reading this thread & instead possibly checking the latest models. Good luck if you got anything better than evens for oop North

ezgif-5-5adf0417b6.gif

It is always based on how much money/how fast they are taking so there must have been a sudden influx that made them nervous.

Hope Santa hasn't risked all that gift money!

Posted

UKMO 96h, improved Atlantic?

UN96-21.GIF?18-17

Posted
9 hours ago, CreweCold said:

My thoughts too.

If it’s a temporary weak fart northerly you’re after then yes, perhaps there may be a chance around Christmas Day…but even then the chances are any precipitation has long pulled away or fizzled out.

From a broader perspective the writing is on the wall for the AO to go neutral then positive just after Christmas. All that will do is further lock in the Euro HP and condemn the UK to being exposed to zonal westerlies.

I suspect the stratosphere will eventually weaken via a SSW, but that may be later January. 

I hope I haven't missed the opportunity for snow this winter, given I hardly saw any during this outgoing cold spell?!  That said, I find it encouraging you expect a SSW at some point!

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Skullzrulerz said:

Santa may come bearing gifts 🎁

He may, but he may also be late to the party! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

Early doors on the GFS looking promising compared to the 6z, with the low further east and weaker already, and the earlier two runs were upgrades on yesterday, so the trend continues.  T126 v 6z T132:

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, DiskCould contain: Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted

Well here we go, cold and some snow sinking S Christmas eve.

gfs-0-132.png?12gfs-2-138.png?12

1 minute ago, Mike Poole said:

Early doors on the GFS looking promising compared to the 6z, with the low further east already, and the earlier two runs were upgrades on yesterday, so the trend continues.  T126 v 6z T132:

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Art, DiskCould contain: Outdoors, Nature

Aided by lower Euro heights, great trend to have.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

I’m liking the 12z much more!! If we can get clearance quickly, rain to snow

BINGO!

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Graphics, Art

Edited by Snowmadsam
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

So, here we are at T+120 (GFS 12Z) and it's anyone's guess as to what's going to happen:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Back in the days of yore, I'd have plumped for a cold evolution; these days, I'm not so sure!🤔

• Like 2

Posted

UKMO not on the same page, keeping those Euro heights although the Atlantic sector (ridge) is slightly improved, but we need the first half of the puzzle.

UN144-21.GIF?18-17

Edited by Mucka

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Well here we go, cold and some snow sinking S Christmas eve.

gfs-0-132.png?12gfs-2-138.png?12

Aided by lower Euro heights, great trend to have.

Not a particularly great UKMO run though.

• Like 1

Posted

Sh close to be a decent run for us all. If in north of Leeds Manchester I’ll be down the bookies with tenner for a white Christmas. Quiet a big shift east with the low on this one.

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

12z GFS looking better with the Atlantic low moving east quicker and hopefully phasing with the Scaninavian Low

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, MapCould contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art

Posted
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

So, here we are at T+120 (GFS 12Z) and it's anyone's guess as to what's going to happen:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram    Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map

Back in the days of yore, I'd have plumped for a cold evolution; these days, I'm not so sure!🤔

People must be looking at something else to me on this, how will cold air flood south with heights like that over Europe?

Answers on a postcard please, I guess it depends if you want to see falling flakes or proper cold.

• Like 2

Posted

This would be a great Christmas morning chart, bank it.

gfsnh-0-162.png?12

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

People must be looking at something else to me on this, how will cold air flood south with heights like that over Europe?

Answers on a postcard please, I guess it depends if you want to see falling flakes or proper cold.

But the subsequent charts literally do show the cold coming south over us?

• Like 5

Posted

Chance of a technical white Christmas almost anywhere on this run.  I got 3-1 on Glasgow last week, happy with that! Just need 1 flake in 24hrs 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Sea, Outdoors, Nature, Water, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram, Rainforest, Vegetation, Tree, Plant, Outdoors

• Like 3