Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Christmas week and beyond

nick sussex
Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
17 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

at last - after a run of fizzlers on the op we have a sizzler - eps mean doesn't look all that interested though, if you run the sequence through last few frames it just doesn't really do much - usually indicative of a fizzler.

Could contain: Purple, Art, Pattern, Accessories, Spiral, Person

What site did you get that chart from Feb,...need to add more sites to my long list of favourites😁

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

What site did you get that chart from Feb,...need to add more sites to my long list of favourites😁

CHARTS.ECMWF.INT

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 hours ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Is it just me,or do many of you feel that special sense of occasion on Xmas day. A togetherness and the one real day where you get all your bitterness,frustrations and anger and sweep them all up and put them under the carpet! The one day where your perhaps gonna make it up with a loved one,or a long lost friend who you swore blind that you would never speak to again.

And to think that if your year as been truelly bad with many a bad memory,or your hoping that when that New Year bell sounds this time next week,that a new year will hopefully bring you much more joy and better fortune! For health reasons...for money reasons...and obviously for all things meteorological.

The year is about to wind down and we face a rut of unfavourable weather conditions for at least a 10-14 day period...beyond this anything goes..its a different year and anything is possible to change for the better for both us as persons and yes...weather events that may bring us much joy! We just don't know yet because these events have yet to get started..This for me is the big excitement,not knowing what is coming next! The anticipation of what could happen..yes we could 2nd guess and make a prediction....but until said events materialise we just don't know.

Things may look poor right now,but how will things look this time next week? They could be looking dire...but they could be looking sublime! 

So on this fantastic Xmas day I send you hope...goodwill and the strength and fight to get through 2023 with more vigour than ever before.

And fresh off the grapevine I detect a little hint of some colder ensembles amongst those mogreps 6z runs. Yes it may be a toppler but sometimes small tadpoles become giant 🐸

Keep positive my friends.

Could contain: Smoke Pipe, Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Smoke Pipe

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Greeting Card, Mail, Envelope, Advertisement, Poster, Dynamite, Weapon

Nope 

• Like 3

Posted
5 hours ago, bluearmy said:

I can’t rely on someone that can’t spell wintry Matt ….. that should be the pre requisite for a ‘forecaster’ that is prepared to go public with a tweet !

Funnily enough I've seen some meto updates with that exact spelling mistake over the last month. Unforgivable. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

T+120 - Euro heights lowering:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Text

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Funnily enough I've seen some meto updates with that exact spelling mistake over the last month. Unforgivable. 

Im still not convinced anyone with much authority compiles those updates...even todays uses the term 'Heavy snow showers' in its extended update from a brief northerly. Its very unlike them to be so specific so far out so can only conclude they let the security guard write yesterdays. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

Happy Christmas to all weather followers, our 5 days cold snap mid December now a distant memory, last of snow melted yesterday and so far running about +1.5 anomally, the mild spell that will last well until 10.1 and beyond will put even those regions around me that are runnung -1 anomally in to like +1 anomally. It would have to be a 1985 February style to make this winter anything else then a poor brother of last 4 forgetful winters. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Weather, Nature, Backyard, Yard

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
6 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Wintry or wintery, either way of spelling it is acceptable, its just that wintry is the more common way of spelling it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the GFS op from D8-16 we see the tPV ragged, and there for the taking. There does not appear to be any strength or connect with the sPV:

animoae4.gif

Just a bellowing Pacific high can easily send a wedge into the polar region, so any forcing wave patterns would seemingly develop into another blocked NH pattern. If there is an MJO signal for higher-heights, the GFS is currently not modelling that. It is a benign setup that hopefully is not a saga. Of course, a polar high without some sort of meridional flow is not that great within the current flow.

The ECM NH at D10 is similar with regard to the tPV, so assuming status quo, week 2 of Jan, may be too early to see something better to surface. My optimism level is 3/10 for the first half of January. Hopefully a new signal will pop up earlier.

For IMBY, the hope is a N/S divide, so respite from the rain in week 2; the mean hints at that (D8-16):

animybv5.gif

Have a good Boxing Day.

Edited by IDO
more specifics
  • Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Lukesluckybunch said:

Absolute awful gfs run in terms of cold..and ECM was horrid also!

Yes, I think the best outcome I can see for week 1 January is high pressure nudging in from the south making it dry and mild as opposed to wet, windy and mild.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, John88B said:

Wintry or wintery, either way of spelling it is acceptable, its just that wintry is the more common way of spelling it.

You’re probably correct - the same people that have made slippy acceptable. Language evolves - bah humbug!

some scandi ridges in the extended manage to advect a fair amount of deep cold into europe and a few as far as nw europe. the back end of the clusters are encouraging but a long way away 

straws ……

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Posted
8 hours ago, blizzard81 said:

Re this wintry wintery discussion.

As a meteorologist of the old school, I always used wintry, but

Showing results for oxford dictionary for wintry or wintery
Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

In modern English, wintry is the preferred spelling of the adjective meaning of, like, or relating to winter. Wintery has a long history in English, but it has never been the preferred form, and it has no meanings of its own.

Turning to the likely weather for the next 10-14 days. The NOAA charts have little signal for a cold blast!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
Just now, KTtom said:

God you can tell the models are crap when there is virtually a whole page discussing the spelling of a word!

Yep its about as wintry/wintery as it gets a the moment! 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, KTtom said:

God you can tell the models are crap when there is virtually a whole page discussing the spelling of a word!

Exactly, just shows you again as we head into January, that as far as the UK is concerned it should not be classed as a winter month as the temperatures are more spring like year after year. 

Nothing in the model output indicates any change for at least two weeks. 

We have to hope the warming high up will effect Europe hopefully tail end of January, otherwise just mild weather will be dominating throughout the month. 

So utterly predictable!!! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

GFS has the early NYE storm further north now.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors

Winter is still on. I bet you don't see these during the Spring/Summer anyway.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Now seeing the gfs introduce a second warming by day 16 as the earlier one fizzles somewhat, having displaced the vortex towards svaalbard.  This is evident on a fair few gefs members. This has my interest as I recall some ssw splits in the past following this evolution. Repeated strong warmings, each one a little stronger than the last.  The eps mean only goes to day 15. There is an indications that something is headed into the Asian sector from europe at that point in time but it’s going to need to be picked by the 46 later (which is possible as it will run off the back of this eps run) if we are to see today if the eps have seen the same second warming ahead. 

Thanks for the update. On previous occasions has this usually led to cold conditions for the UK? Thanks

Posted

Models strangely flat as a pancake this morning?

lack of data flights yesterday? (I'll get my coat)

• Like 5