Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

That is some high..

Could contain: Outdoors, Plot, Chart, Nature

....eating away at the vortex...

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Whether people buy it or not, it’s much more interesting to view. Fwiw when output starts to get a bit crazy stuff is happening.😄

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Well this anom from gfs6z 240 says it all..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

..intense Kara sea anomaly combined with the one to the west just south of Greenland locking in the trough over the uk and down into Europe...much more interesting (even if it is gfs day 10)..

...also Aleutian low so further precursor impacts on the vortex?

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Looking at the 0z and 6z gfs both in the same ballpark as to say. TEITS made a good point just now tho. the synoptics these days don't seem to build a block run to run with anything you could hang your hat on. Imo this also applies at the 120/144 hr Mark. Stange times nhp wise for sure but interesting at the same time 🙏🙏

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Well this anom from gfs6z 240 says it all..

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

..intense Kara sea anomaly combined with the one to the west just south of Greenland locking in the trough over the uk and down into Europe...much more interesting (even if it is gfs day 10)..

...also Aleutian low so further precursor impacts on the vortex?

Gfes mean in same ball park...

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Nature, Outdoors, Face, Person, Head

• Like 8

Posted

All three models GFS, ECM and UKMO continue with the trends shown yesterday, the atlantic long wave trough deepening and sharper, thanks to a more amplified flow as we enter mid-month period ( a week's time), height rises out of the western atlantic seaboard, the jet then digs further south and we see it more aligned NW-SE, hence a surge of colder uppers from the NW, sub 528 dam air for most, with sub 522 dam air thicknesses into NW regions as shown in ECM 10 day output. Still too early to call a change to colder unsettled is on the cards, but if we continue with these synoptics by Monday entering the reliable timeframe, we will be able to say this. After 4 weeks of persistantly very mild SW airflow, for anyone wanting something colder, this change will be welcomed. Naturally as I say we often see variations after 3-4 weeks in mobile flows, and I am incrreasingly confident a colder (not very cold) more just average for mid winter and unsettled spell is on the cards. Think cold zonality as happened in lattter stages of Jan 2015.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
4 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Good point Fred.

I think it's been so crap model and weather wise since mid December most of us are just desperate for a change..

Let's hope we get a change it's rained here for weeks and it's getting depressing..

This can’t continue….one hopes!  However, I feel the models will move more and more towards the amplification and colder conditions, and the plunge NW/SE (even more vertical) of a deep LP (or 2) is the direction of change for me.  Once we get this, several doors of opportunity open.  I think we will get -6 to -8 upper air over us widely and thus snow chances will increase.  I think the type of change I have in mind you are in excellent location.  However, we are still looking towards midmonth and we need to see growing consistency over the next week to gain confidence.  For now it is FI….but it’s not an ‘unrealistic’ or ‘unreasonable’ evolution.  If a Jan 1987 popped up one feels we could ignore that.

BFTP

• Like 7

Posted

If there is a decent chance of an SSW, or at least signs similar to that of the EC then we may see a wording change from the METO fir the long range. As for the 8-12 day range it would be nice to see that improve even further on the 12zs, and possible brought forward a day or 2!!

Something like this around day 10 maybe. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

If there is a decent chance of an SSW, or at least signs similar to that of the EC then we may see a wording change from the METO fir the long range. As for the 8-12 day range it would be nice to see that improve even further on the 12zs, and possible brought forward a day or 2!!

Something like this around day 10 maybe. 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Plot, Chart

What kind of SSW do you mean? Minor warming or major warming with wind reversal (wich i don’t find any signs for in the next future)

regards

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

Could we get a January of contrasting halves? Some more interesting features popping up around D8-D10, most notably this big high to the NE of Scandi:

Could contain: Accessories, Outdoors, Nature, Pattern, Art, OrnamentCould contain: Accessories, Plot, Chart, Bonfire, Flame, Fire, Pattern, Outdoors, Nature

EC has the high a bit further away but the GFS 06z has it moving westwards, there would be some really cold air moving along underneath that so you'd hope it would be onto something... but it is the GFS.

A polar maritime airmass moving over us is possible into around D8+ though whether its just a transient bit of cold in an overall westerly pattern... or more of a northerly like the GFS 00z is unclear.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Don't have much to add onto the posts at the moment, keep them coming...

Hopefully, we keep seeing the SSW chance uptrending due to the Ural Block etc...

Could contain: Head, Person, Face, Laughing, Happy, Portrait, Photography, Teeth, Mouth, Body Part

A lazy day today then Eagle Eye 😂

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
8 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

Yes better looking cold zonal charts but if I remember these were being shown a week ago only for the idea to turn to dust.

I will want to see the pattern maintained into next week before I get the bunting out.

Andy

Not really it was a much weaker signal, these ones are steaper and colder, bring decent uppers much further south. Hopefully instead of diluting they sharpen up, and may be even turn northerly. Just needs the high to the west to move east a little.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

I don’t know if these have been posted but it’s a bit of a shift 

Could contain: Plot, Chart

Could contain: Plot, Chart

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1