Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Stubborn heights over Europe as per usual - Alpine nightmare. Not to mention any hope of UK cold.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Ipso facto

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Map

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Purga said:

Stubborn heights over Europe as per usual - Alpine nightmare

Only in the ante narnia land that is the gfs model …… all the other models say snow is coming to the alps 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The GFS mean looks better at T192 compared to earlier, better tilt for a more potent PM Flow!! 

Bottom image the 12z , notice the heights in the Atlantic aren’t hooked back in towards the Med forcing more WAA north 

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art, Hurricane, Storm

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Sounds like a fair well-rounded summary, Phil nw. Possibly could squeeze something a little bit wintry outside of areas (Northern and Western high ground) exposed to the chilly Polar Maritime flows from chances of disturbances or smallish Lows mixing into colder flows from the West and North. Probably though nothing more than that (but a more unexpected widespread snowfall could pop about). It does feel like fairly standard fair.

More amplification of the mid Atlantic/Azores High Pressure along with less in the way of lower heights to the North of the ridging could of course lead to something more notable for our part. But must admit, can’t currently see any cool to colder shots being long lasting. Not yet anyway.

Just have to keep remembering that our Winter’s aren’t full of Northern blocking year after year. Same goes with the deep cold that can accompany the Northern blocking. To further add, also, that some decent snowy spells can occur without the need of deep cold and strong blocking to our North (which am sure has been brought up a few times before in the past). 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
24 minutes ago, Purga said:

Stubborn heights over Europe as per usual - Alpine nightmare. Not to mention any hope of UK cold.

Ipso facto

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Outdoors, Nature Could contain: Plot, Chart, Modern Art, Art, Map

Yep and even the other models are now showing some subtle hints that they've been underplaying Iberian Heights the last few days too (I may be wrong on that perception ans I've not looked at the models that much over the last 2 or 3 days). Happens a lot but hopefully, this time, a blip and/or it is just my imagination

The PM flow that we might get early next week will probably get watered down to next to nothing too. It usually does. Met Office not seeing anything wintry for next week either.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
32 minutes ago, Purga said:

Ipso facto

Hmm. 50+ CM expected in French alps between now and Wed 11th. Freezing level around 1000M. 

see snowforecast.com 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 06/01/2023 at 21:20, Atleastitwillbemild said:

Is there any way of getting this to pause or slow down so you can see its progression a bit slower?

I meant to send this two days ago so who knows if you will see it now, but I meant to say that the site that the poster you quoted had pasted from is this one, which only has GFS/GEFS charts for free, and the poster had pasted an EPS chart...

https://www.weathermodels.com/index.php?r=site%2Fpreview&mode=animator&set=GFS Energy&area=Europe&param=2-m Temperature Anom&offset=0&thumbs=1

However there are other sites offering similar charts for free, such as the one below, so you can view the animation for yourself at whichever speed you like...

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=eps&region=eu&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2023010706&fh=108

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
13 minutes ago, LRD said:

Yep and even the other models are now showing some subtle hints that they've been underplaying Iberian Heights the last few days too (I may be wrong on that perception ans I've not looked at the models that much over the last 2 or 3 days). Happens a lot but hopefully, this time, a blip and/or it is just my imagination

The PM flow that we might get early next week will probably get watered down to next to nothing too. It usually does. Met Office not seeing anything wintry for next week either.

Very definite draining away of Iberian/Italian heights on the EPS. Far enough out, of course, to change.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

The 12z gefs mean is flatlining close to the -5 line

here for my local and is certainly colder than last night 18z...

Could contain: Plot, Chart450478431_ens_image(1).thumb.png.24d3ef00b576ee2782bd37a986568891.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
1 minute ago, Catacol said:

Very definite draining away of Iberian/Italian heights on the EPS. Far enough out, of course, to change.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Person, Face, Head

Thanks Catacol

I've bolded a bit of your post to say that's exactly my concern. That the nearer we get to the time of forecast falls in southern and/or central European high pressure, the forecast changes and we find that we have ended up with heights hanging on. Over the years, Euro heights have proved far more stubborn than mid/long range forecasting advertises

Fingers crossed it doesn't happen this time

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Cold air incoming at day seven.

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Blackboard

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, snow, ice. Very hot or very cold.

EC 12z is not interested in the GFS shenanigans and sides with GEM and UKMO at 168h
Now watch that ridge and trough...

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Accessories, Art, Hurricane, Storm

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

Looks poor at 192hrs as everything flattens out! Reliable to 168hrs looks fine

Just needs to ridge between Greeny and Canada now, it’s still cold at 192 

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Art

Could contain: Outdoors, Nature, Pattern, Accessories, Art, Disk

It tried 

Could contain: Graphics, Art, Modern Art, Pattern, Accessories, Outdoors, Nature

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Accessories, Outdoors

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2