Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - New Year and Beyond

Message added by Paul,

Please keep your posts to discussing the model output in this thread, and for more general winter weather chat please use the winter chat, moans and ramps thread.

The model highlights thread is also available for a more concise view of the model discussions. 

Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

Another possitive this week with crisp clearer skies, we should notice a difference, especially at night of an increase in daylight after the last few weeks of gloom. 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, KTtom said:

Another possitive this week with crisp clearer skies, we should notice a difference, especially at night of an increase in daylight after the last few weeks of gloom. 

Yes, by mid Jan we do start to pull out of the long dark period evening wise at least, that starts preety much as soon as the clocks go back.. clearer skies at this time of year do make a marked difference, darkness not happening until nearer 5pm as opposed to before half 4 does make a difference, but its not until the end of the month we really start to see late afternoon light draw out. Still we are turning the corner and the light at the end of the tunnel is flickering brighter.

• Like 6

Posted

lets face it looking at the models nothing looks prolonged or sustained at the moment..its going to be very hard for somthing like that to develop as the PV is currently looking too strong! best chance of somthing very cold would likely be from a easterly or somthing.we are not likely to see anything as cold this winter as we experienced at the start of december..that was quite exceptional!

• Like 4

Posted
16 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Main thing to take away from the models for the foreseeable, is a change from a month of predominantly very unsettled atlantic driven weather to something much more settled and quieter as we see high pressure exerting greater influence once we lose the polar maritime flow by next weekend. Models are suggesting heights will be more southerly positioned at least to start with, and a return to mild conditions on the cards, though in clear spells frost will make a return. Further north more unsettled with a mild SW flow, rain or drizzle here.

In the short term - all eyes on whether any frontal/trough features pop up and bring surprise wintry falls. It is going to be a cold 4-5 day period ahead, not on the level of the Dec cold spell, but certainly below average with temps struggling to get out of the low single digits and sharp frosts for most. It will feel like mid winter.

We all know that in general thus far, this winter has not delivered for the vast majority. I think that will carry on unfortunately but hope I am wrong. On a much more positive note though, I will be relieved to see the back of the constant garbage of wind and rain. Absolutely horrendous. The worst return back to work weather-wise in 30 years of working. I will welcome a UK high with open arms. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos
17 minutes ago, January Snowstorm said:

A high moving over us would finish off January I would think

Here's hoping it's transient 

Not sure I agree with that , get a high over us and it can trap the cold bring fog and frost - transient will move us back to the lovely wet and windy weather .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

We all know that in general thus far, this winter has not delivered for the vast majority. I think that will carry on unfortunately but hope I am wrong. On a much more positive note though, I will be relieved to see the back of the constant garbage of wind and rain. Absolutely horrendous. The worst return back to work weather-wise in 30 years of working. I will welcome a UK high with open arms. 

It would be wrong to say there is no potential going into Feb but let's call a spade a spade, the TPV is exactly where we don't want it so with that in mind a period of HP near the UK eventually sinking from where I'm sat is the form horse.

And yes ,mid Dev to mid Jan has been horrific certainly locally its hardly stopped raining.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

It would be wrong to say there is no potential going into Feb but let's call a spade a spade, the TPV is exactly where we don't want it so with that in mind a period of HP near the UK eventually sinking from where I'm sat is the form horse.

And yes ,mid Dev to mid Jan has been horrific certainly locally its hardly stopped raining.

Indeed. One bit of hope is there is still a signal for the tpv to move away westwards from Greenland from day 8. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
18 minutes ago, MJB said:

Not sure I agree with that , get a high over us and it can trap the cold bring fog and frost - transient will move us back to the lovely wet and windy weather .

I'm with you mjb  I would happily take a uk high for the last week of Jan before starting another snow chase.

I have recorded rain everyday so far in 2023 and will welcome some settled dry weather with open arms.

Plenty of time for wintry potential to appear as both Feb and March can deliver big on that front.  Especially if the pv is split or displaced via a ssw.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
8 minutes ago, Chesil View said:

I'm with you mjb  I would happily take a uk high for the last week of JN before starting another snow chase.

I have recorded rain everyday so far in 2023 and will welcome done settled dry weather with open arms.

Plenty of time for wintry potential appear as both Feb and March can deliver big on that front.  Especially if the pv is split or displaced via a ssw.

Feb - yes definitely.  March it has to be early and not last for too long.👍 

• Like 3

Posted

Have we not got a PV thread? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, syed2878 said:

Interesting you mention the SSW, but if I’ve read Blue on Waze post regarding a split SSW that could do more harm than good not only that, but if you read the Met office 1630 day update it doesn’t look too encouraging for February by no means I am saying winter is over hell no way march 2013 was excellent for cold and snow. 😣😒

Mostly looking like a displacement away from Greenland now, not a SSW. Just will it happen, and with it take the Greenland vortex with it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, Gowon said:

Not very exciting but handy for drying out and getting out in the garden🙂

Will have time to clear it for spring, if it's a warm high, I'm not gardening in the freezing cold. As the center looks near the se, no wind, I do expect fog and cold, but might be wrong. Haven't looked at day time temps yet 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Will have time to clear it for spring, if it's a warm high, I'm not gardening in the freezing cold. As the center looks near the se, no wind, I do expect fog and cold, but might be wrong. Haven't looked at day time temps yet 

That's what I had in mind👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

6z HARMONIE looks to be very in tune with the Met Office snow warning for the far southeast, early hours of Monday:

animwsy9.gif

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Latest Ukv for Tuesday morning will get us Dorset watchers raising an eyebrow or two

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't know whether we'll be treated to an SSW in the coming days/weeks -- the models are still equivocal -- but such events have grown in prominence, these past 20-years or so. But, not, I think because they've become commoner, but because we seldom experience those potent northerlies and north-westerlies of yesteryear... IMO, without an SSW, the current rainy, sleety crud seems to be about the best we can hope for? 🤔🤔

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snowy winters, pleasently warm summers without the extremes
3 hours ago, Penrith Snow said:

This winter is very different and with the El Nina signal of positive AO and NAO late winter I really don’t expect a notable cold spell in February 

Thinking back to the beginning of the season, didn't seasonal forecasts already see February as likely to be milder and wetter than Dec/Jan, see NW's own winter forecast. Without ruling out the odd short cold spell, it might well work out that way in general?!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Mike Poole said:

I think our longer term prospects for cold are in a bit of a state of flux at the moment.  I think that a scandi high as a longer term ‘destination’, which had been trending, is now receding as a possibility, more a transition towards possible heights further to the NW.  

Looking at the ECM mean, T192 and T360 - there is a trend towards retrogression of systems around the NH:

Could contain: Outdoors, NatureCould contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

The consequences of this are varied, but

• The chances of a scandi high too far east, into Russia, are receding.
  • The PV segment over Greenland, which some have been complaining about, looks to back west, giving us a bit more wriggle room there.
  • The (approx) Ural high, Aleutian low signal (marked T192 chart), which has been present for some time now, will probably wane.
  • This may mean that ‘fuel’ for causing the strat vortex pain may start to run out after 10 days or so, what we’ve had by then may be enough to cause a SSW, or maybe fall short.  Either way, the result is most likely to be a strat vortex displaced to the Asian side.  

I mentioned this retrogression signal yesterday in relation to the clusters, and again this morning, cluster 1 in the T264+ timeframe, shows high pressure on the move from scandi towards Greenland.

Could contain: Person, Pattern, Outdoors, Text

Bang on cue, the ECM control flirts with a Greenland high, T300:

Could contain: Plot, Chart, Outdoors, Nature

I get the feeling we need some high lat block foothold before this shift happens, or it may be increasingly difficult to gain one as the help from the MJO (plus lag) disappears.  If there is a split SSW, that will be a different story, a displacement of the strat vortex will help, but we don’t want to be starting from scratch to build for cold in that scenario.  Interesting model watching continues, but I’m getting impatient to land something decent!

Great Post Mike you are without doubt one of the " go to " posters on this site.

Thanks for your input it is very much appreciated.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Posted

I think there is too much emphasis put on SSWs, winters were often cold and snowy between 1962 and 1987 but very few had SSW’s.

This emphasis on SSW is all down to the link identified with the BFTE in 2018 but the Trop that winter was already set up for HLB hence the cold spells well before the SSW occurred 

This winter is very different and with the El Nina signal of positive AO and NAO late winter I really don’t expect a notable cold spell in February 

Andy

You make an Interesting point Andy but I can't help but notice that the period you quote of 1962 -87  is prior to the latest undoubted bout of warming.   Hence the feeling amongst some is that for substantial deep cold  (as opposed to just bog standard chilliness) to be advected towards the UK. That an Ssw seems to be required as opposed to just helpful tropospheric set ups. 

You also quote the beast from the east as happening in a troposhere predisposed to cold but in truth that winter was running out of steam rapidly until yhe late Jan ssw kicked of the beast.

My feeling is that bog standard chilly spells such as early Dec 22 and the up coming week are still troposphericallly on the cards but for deep deep old fashion winter cold.  Ssw's are likely to become increasingly required.

Edited by Chesil View
  • Like 2

Posted

I think there is too much emphasis put on SSWs, winters were often cold and snowy between 1962 and 1987 but very few had SSW’s.

This emphasis on SSW is all down to the link identified with the BFTE in 2018 but the Trop that winter was already set up for HLB hence the cold spells well before the SSW occurred 

Andy

Well. The emphasis on SSW is, due to the changed atmosphere, where cold winter weather seems almost impossible with help of a SSW.

• Like 3