Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

Looks my kind of weather! Would find that most agreeable!

Snow and ice days? 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Alderc I don't think it's all that surprising as el niño is suppressing the azores high currently.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

On this occasion I agree with you.

Given most of Greece, even the islands average 30-35C in July those temps should be no more surprising than 24-27C here. In fact all places in Greece are prone 40C + readings. 

i guess when I go on holiday I'm looking for a re-enactment of summer 1976 or 1989 in the UK, rather than something much hotter. Still, hoping it returns to closer to average there after mid-month.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

I am in Greece in two weeks time but have to admit I am a heat worshipper and am looking forward to the hot weather,something I am not keen on in the UK anything over 25c in the UK it just becomes humid and unbearable.Love Greece been so many times its now becoming my second home.

Don't get me wrong, I love most things about Greece but would probably prefer it if it were a couple of degrees cooler in summer. Rather like I'd prefer southern English summer temps to be a couple of degrees higher...

September is very, very nice there. As is winter; it is prone to occasional heavy rain but there are far more bright, sunny days - and ironically more chance of snow!

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Got away with the rain here today. I had a look at the radar early afternoon and the rain was perilously close just to the south of Birmingham. Just had a brief shower. No sunshine and very cool. Suppose it could have been worse compared to some down south. Noticed Wimbledon have had the roof closed all day for the tennis. Feel sorry for those poor souls who were in a queue all night. Got in the grounds and saw a brief amount of tennis early doors on the outside courts and then spent the day under umbrellas. 

Posted

I see rain has disrupted play on all but the two main courts at Wimbledon. We seem to have avoided this in the NW. Gale force winds forecast for parts of E Anglia overnight and a yellow weather warning has been issued, which must be unusual for this time of year.

Edited by A Face like Thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
59 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

I agree. I'm now seriously planning to be gone by next year. It doesn't even depress me: it gets on my last nerve to think of all the sunshine I could be enjoying if I was elsewhere.

It's the combination of the awful spring we had too. Bear in mind we had effectively no warmth or real sun until the very end of May / first week of June. 

And now back to this. For days. 

It's just enough lol.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm having a think about 2 or 3 weeks in India in Jan/Feb 2024. Get a bit of proper heat and see England play some test cricket . The thought of getting out of here in mid winter is very tempting. The flippin summers are bad enough sometimes and totally unpredictable.  14/15c today. Useless.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Cycling home from the station around 6:15pm this evening it felt very cool for July even with a jacket on. The dullness and everyone driving with their lights on as well made it feel more like just before the clocks go forward.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
On 03/07/2023 at 18:43, CreweCold said:

It's a fact though. Warmest June on record.

Some of the moans now would be like winter loving people moaning after experiencing Dec 2010. Yes it was disappointing that January and February 2011 didn't follow December's lead but how on earth could we moan after such an amazing winter month?

Not in the South East it wasn't! I distinctly remember many months of cloudy/cold winds off the North Sea! But Climate Change agenda n all that

• Like 1

Posted

I can recall 21 years ago Alderc that July at this stage didn't do great either.   Weird that July of this year and July 2002 are both el niño julys, 2004 july began dodgy as well and again another niño driven july.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Well I have 2 very full 250 litre water butts now and more rain on the way this coming week or so….wouldn’t be surprised if we will have had over an inch of rain by the end of today though feels like we have had more and that’s more than we have had in nearly 2 months. It’s been raining here literally all day. Jeez it’s all or nothing with our current climate.
We did really need this but hoping the second half of July improves 🙏🏼 but I’m calling it now that we will at least be average rainfall for July but probably will be above, feels like autumn, what a turn of events after 7 gloriously warm and sunny weeks 🤭

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Here's a post I made in June

"

SE, London & EA - Weather Discussion
Neilsouth replied to Paul's topic in SE, London and East Anglia Community Group's SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion

Yep!! Wasn't exactly a hot MAY either unlike many in the West :( COLD and more COLD!!"

Warmest June on Record, what *******

• Like 2

Posted

We definitely were spoilt in June and now reality has hit us in the face big time.    

• Like 1

Posted

After a cool, wet day we are now experiencing almost monsoon-like rain here.

Grim.

I need to get back way South before our scheduled end August 2 weeks in The Algarve. 

Posted

Scrolling back through local records, it appears that the Cotswold area experienced maximum temperatures today that only occur once every 5 to 10 years in July. Around 14c was the maximum recorded at various sites in the area. I believe the last July day to be this cold was back in July 2015. What made it more interesting was the fact there wasn't actually much rain around until mid afternoon, so the low temperature was surprising, as normally to achieve such a low, it has to be lamping it down all day. 

A very interesting day. The warm Atlantic evidently makes no difference whatsoever to this sort of day where the solar energy is almost completely prevented from lifting temperatures even a little.

I see we were competing with places such as Lerwick, and mountain tops in Scotland for the lowest high! 

Posted
1 minute ago, richie3846 said:

Scrolling back through local records, it appears that the Cotswold area experienced maximum temperatures today that only occur once every 5 to 10 years in July. Around 14c was the maximum recorded at various sites in the area. I believe the last July day to be this cold was back in July 2015. What made it more interesting was the fact there wasn't actually much rain around until mid afternoon, so the low temperature was surprising, as normally to achieve such a low, it has to be lamping it down all day. 

A very interesting day. The warm Atlantic evidently makes no difference whatsoever to this sort of day where the solar energy is almost completely prevented from lifting temperatures even a little.

I see we were competing with places such as Lerwick, and mountain tops in Scotland for the lowest high! 

I think NW Iceland got to 13 c today ! We are honoured to be on a par in July. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I think NW Iceland got to 13 c today ! We are honoured to be on a par in July. 

The folk in NW Iceland probably thought it was a fairly decent summer's day!! 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Looks my kind of weather! Would find that most agreeable!

Then we need to swop don't we!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

The folk in NW Iceland probably thought it was a fairly decent summer's day!! 😆

Our friends from Outer Siberia in Yakutsk enjoying temps 26c to 29c every day out to 17th July. 

• Like 2

Posted

It genuinely hasn’t stopped p****g down since 9am. Not even for a single second and going by the radar, it looks like we could be in for another 4-6 hours worth.

utterly wretched climate the U.K. has. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Azazel said:

It genuinely hasn’t stopped p****g down since 9am. Not even for a single second and going by the radar, it looks like we could be in for another 4-6 hours worth.

utterly wretched climate the U.K. has. 

Now I don't mind this wet day. The garden and veggies need it bad as does nature. However if it's still raining when I wake tomorrow I'll be complaining!!

• Like 1

Posted

I weirdly found myself ‘looking forward’ to autumn earlier.

The thought of mellow calm days with atmospheric fog rolling in in the evening and the smell of bonfire smoke made me feel all tingly - then I remembered I live in the U.K. and days like that are rare in autumn too. It’ll just be a continuation of this drivel.

Summer (the bit I look forward to - late spring up to mid summer) is done for me and it feels crazy because I feel like we’ve only just come out of winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I weirdly found myself ‘looking forward’ to autumn earlier.

The thought of mellow calm days with atmospheric fog rolling in in the evening and the smell of bonfire smoke made me feel all tingly - then I remembered I live in the U.K. and days like that are rare in autumn too. It’ll just be a continuation of this drivel.

Summer (the bit I look forward to - late spring up to mid summer) is done for me and it feels crazy because I feel like we’ve only just come out of winter.

I had a moment like that too 🤣 I almost wanted to snuggle up and put candles on. I'm ok until August then when the weather goes tits up then I'm ready for Autumn. Except summer returns in September.

• Like 1