Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
52 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Sure, I get that but every country has bad periods of summer weather, i read from a poster the other day that Adelaide in Australia barely managed to scrape 16c during a cold period in December (their mid summer)  Though I understand with our changeable weather it happens more often here.  I'm just hoping a high comes slap bang over for another extended period this month, feels chilly out there this morning argh!  But bright and fresh

I refuse to put mine on til October but I was tempted, can't believe that in July eeek 

It felt like autumn this morning, not ready for that yet, especially as we basically didn’t get a spring. But we’re not even half way through summer yet,  so I’m not overly worried at this point

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Like: heat, sun, thunderstorms. Dislike: cold, overcast, wind chill
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It felt like autumn this morning, not ready for that yet, especially as we basically didn’t get a spring. But we’re not even half way through summer yet,  so I’m not overly worried at this point

Starting to properly fed-up with these chilly mornings, waking up and feeling the autumnal chill wipes the smile right off my face, because its a reminder of how much of a rare commodity warmth can often be in this country.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

That's because the records are broken.....every year🤣

Indeed, and it looks as though 32C might be reached, for what will be the third time this summer, sometime over the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Yesterday was one of those truly vile summer days that are on their own special level that you can remember them years later for how bad they are. 12C and pretty much dark all day with drizzle turning into torrential rain.

Thankfully the outlook now looks less awful, perhaps a wet cool day on Monday but before that Friday looks actively hot which will be a nice break.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

Yesterday was one of those truly vile summer days that are on their own special level that you can remember them years later for how bad they are. 12C and pretty much dark all day with drizzle turning into torrential rain.

Thankfully the outlook now looks less awful, perhaps a wet cool day on Monday but before that Friday looks actively hot which will be a nice break.

Truly depressing. Especially the lack of light.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I must be one of the few lucky ones, as the outlook isn't looking that bad for this neck of the woods. Some more sun would be nice though.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Not often you see such a striking satellite image in July. 

Looks like a clear sting jet 

B3C8B8F5-94FA-4040-8CCF-29B8FFA3F638.thumb.jpeg.c24eed913a1667f8a0b9deee7df9ea16.jpeg

Quite possible mate .. Netherlands reporting Storm damage and winds gusting up to 90mph this morning ... exceptional for July, especially as  it not and extra trop , post Hurricane System,   and no doubt down to "climate change".   Everything that is not the norm these days, weather wise is pinned to climate change 

Hooked backed occlusion crystal clear in your Sat image and on the UKMO MSLP chart for 06z

image.thumb.png.65cdee0ab74c591f538be17733480007.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

I don't want to say "I told you so" but this pattern really is looking locked in now. 

The patterns always get locked in. It's standard now - it'll never just be 1 or 2 days of dross. it'll be a whole week, 2 weeks or more. 

Likewise for the sunny and warm pattern during June, with next to no rainfall for weeks. 

It's why when people say "Oh, it's just one cloudy/cooler day, no need to panic!" I chuckle because I know full well...it isn't just going to be one day! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Methuselah said:

Indeed, and it looks as though 32C might be reached, for what will be the third time this summer, sometime over the weekend.

30c+ days are really not a massive rarity in England from June to August, especially in the South. Pretty much all of wider Northern Europe also has similar temps on certain days throughout summer. 

I would say that some of the temps recorded across the country over the last couple of days, like 12c, 11c etc as maxes, are more noteworthy / unusual for July than a 30c.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
7 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

30c+ days are really not a massive rarity in England from June to August, especially in the South. Pretty much all of wider Northern Europe also has similar temps on certain days throughout summer. 

I would say that some of the temps recorded across the country over the last couple of days, like 12c, 11c etc as maxes, are more noteworthy / unusual for July than a 30c.

Well, they are becoming increasingly rare; they're far less common than when ar were a lud! 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
57 minutes ago, StingJet said:

Quite possible mate .. Netherlands reporting Storm damage and winds gusting up to 90mph this morning ... exceptional for July, especially as  it not and extra trop , post Hurricane System,   and no doubt down to "climate change".   Everything that is not the norm these days, weather wise is pinned to climate change 

Hooked backed occlusion crystal clear in your Sat image and on the UKMO MSLP chart for 06z

image.thumb.png.65cdee0ab74c591f538be17733480007.png

Drop the denialist attitude. No-one has claimed that European windstorms are predicted to get worse with climate change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
14 hours ago, danm said:

Yes it was cloudier here during those last two weeks of May compared to the west, but the month of June was very good. 

I’m a heat fan, but 46 is far too hot even for me. Still the sunshine makes up for the damp of the UK at the moment! You’d have to enjoy it from inside an air conditioned room though…

I note the 37 has gone from the forecast for Greece now next week. Seems to flatline at 35 in Thessaloniki so hopefully a couple of degrees lower out in the sticks and at altitude (300m) where I'll be. I looked at the archive for last year for the area and some comfortable days where I was did in fact reach 35 in Thessaloniki. In contrast to the UK right now it seems to be very stable and uniform weather: the norm is 5 or 6 raindays in July so there "ought" on average to be a little more than one wet day a week (usually thundery showers) but no sign for the next 2 weeks or so.

That said, I've found in Greece thundery episodes (which I welcome as they vary things a bit and can be very dramatic) can suddenly appear in the forecast just a week or so in advance.

46 would be way too much... such temps can stay in Africa! 😉

Meanwhile back here, cool and breezy but bright. A cool-for-the-time-of-year forecast max of 20C today but looking at the forecast, today looks to be one of the best days in the next 2 weeks. Today, tomorrow and Friday, and next Wednesday (12th) are literally the only days without rain in the next 2 weeks here according to the BBC forecast! If correct this looks to be a really notably bad July in the UK - certainly worse than 2021 and 2020 - but hopefully things will change.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
40 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I don't actually mind the really extreme days like yesterday as long as they're isolated affairs. I'd be happy with one 12c in July if we got 20 fine dry days during the month.

It's the protracted unsettled periods which go on for weeks which are not nice.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

It does feel Septemberish but not necessarily in a bad way. It's just good to see it bright and dry!

Today is another waste of a summer days, the odd light shower floating around, 60-80% cloud cover and temps around 18/19C.

These are days people are calling out as being ‘it’ll feel ok between the shower or between the frontal rain under the trough’ well no it doesn’t, it’s chilly and gloomy. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Today is another waste of a summer days, the odd light shower floating around, 60-80% cloud cover and temps around 18/19C.

These are days people are calling out as being ‘it’ll feel ok between the shower or between the frontal rain under the trough’ well no it doesn’t, it’s chilly and gloomy. 

Your area must be very unlucky, I've been in a t shirt through out, and missed the rain last night. I mean the rain hit my area, but I stayed dry, it happened after I went where I was going.

Edited by alexisj9

3 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Your area must be very unlucky, I've been in a t shirt through out, and missed the rain last night. I mean the rain hit my area, but I stayed dry, it happened after I went where I was going.

It’s only the lightest of showers but you are missing the point, generally it’s breezy, cloudy, cool and unsummer like. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Half decent day here today.  Plenty of sun between passing clouds, which feels warm still, despite a cool breeze blowing.  Finishing work shortly, half day today so with a bit of luck my garden may be sheltered from the breeze and with no kids today, a relaxing afternoon in the garden beckons!

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

18c, windy, feeling fresh, when it clouds over. Sunny intervals seem to be diminishing as the hours go by today.

Could, and should, be a lot better.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Dropped to 17C indoors here before going to bed last night, 8C the minimum outside, some sunnier spells now and 18C. Thankfully we aren't getting impacted by this viscious rare July storm named Poly, which rattled through the Netherlands this morning. It seems the warmer seas may have helped to intensify if further according to some. Certainly has amazing structure on satellite.

Could contain:

• Like 6

Posted
19 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s only the lightest of showers but you are missing the point, generally it’s breezy, cloudy, cool and unsummer like. 

Agree. We're at about an 18/19c max here, which is some several degrees below average maxes for July in my area, and the pretty extensive cloud cover and on-and-off showers are marring things further.

18/19c and fully sunny skies would be fine. Not exactly good or warm for July, but acceptable enough. But that's not what we're having, or will be having any time soon.

Cloud has been the dominant feature all week and looks the same for the foreseeable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Grim Grim Grim if ever a word could be defined rightly its on the mods thread😬

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

Must be faulty....😉

LOL!

It's set to 21c so if it drops below that it comes on. Must admit I was surprised!

5 hours ago, sarahng said:

Snap!  Mine came on yesterday lunchtime for about half and hour!  Madness in July.

I thought that LOL! What's yours set to?

Posted
52 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It got to 21 here but cloudy now so it's dropped again ... It so does feel like Autumn it's weird!

Posted

Today just sums up just how vile our summers can be at times. 

I can’t wait for another 25-30c spell of weather. 19-20c with cloud and rain is hideous for July.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1