Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Distinctly cool today. 19c currently, may just about squeeze out a 20c. That's about 4 degrees below the peak July average, 5 degrees if you look only at the last 10 years. 

Plenty of cloud, a few sunny spells. Managed to dodge the few showers hat are passing through here, although me missing them is very localised. 

A few nicer days coming up, at leats it won't feel cold, even in any showers that may pop up over the weekend. 

Next week is low pressure dominated, but placement is still very much up for grabs. Could mean the difference between persistent showers or just a few showers with sunshine. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
40 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Dropped to 17C indoors here before going to bed last night, 8C the minimum outside, some sunnier spells now and 18C. Thankfully we aren't getting impacted by this viscious rare July storm named Poly, which rattled through the Netherlands this morning. It seems the warmer seas may have helped to intensify if further according to some. Certainly has amazing structure on satellite.

Could contain:

Looks amazing, but the Netherlands has sustained a lot of damage, unfortunately. Very rapid development of this system

• Like 2

Posted

How some people think this is acceptable weather for high summer will never cease to amaze me lol.

We get this rubbish between late September until march, and in the case of this year, it was as late as mid May.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
25 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

LOL!

It's set to 21c so if it drops below that it comes on. Must admit I was surprised!

I thought that LOL! What's yours set to?

19!

• Insightful 1

Posted

If we have a few days of 18c or less then the heating would be used again in my studio flat. It starts to lose the heat once daytime temps fall below 19c. 

It seems to become like a furnace after a few days exceeding 26c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Mainly cloudy and 18°C at Heathrow. Another crap day, thankfully warmer for Thursday and Friday

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Mainly cloudy and 18°C at Heathrow. Another crap day, thankfully warmer for Thursday and Friday

27-28c by the weekend. I’ll have some of that thanks 👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Looks amazing, but the Netherlands has sustained a lot of damage, unfortunately. Very rapid development of this system

It's basically their 87, by the sounds of things.

6 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

How some people think this is acceptable weather for high summer will never cease to amaze me lol.

We get this rubbish between late September until march, and in the case of this year, it was as late as mid May.

Early June here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Cold, Thunder, Heat

Making slow-cooked beef stew and dumplings for dinner, in July! Gives me an excuse to have the oven on for a few hours, might warm the house up a bit...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

19-20c with cloud and rain is hideous for July.

It isn't great but its not terrible. The average high in London from 1961-1990 was only 22C and there were summers in the 60s and 80s that struggled to reach this. A few showers dotted around but not a write off.

Over the UK as a whole this is a 5/10 day of weather, yesterday I'd say was a 1-2/10 in central and southern parts.

Just think August 2008 saw low maxes throughout the whole month almost and record low levels of sunshine, we aren't in the 'awful' territory yet but we've been setting a high water mark in recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
7 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

It isn't great but its not terrible. The average high in London from 1961-1990 was only 22C and there were summers in the 60s and 80s that struggled to reach this. A few showers dotted around but not a write off.

Over the UK as a whole this is a 5/10 day of weather, yesterday I'd say was a 1-2/10 in central and southern parts.

Just think August 2008 saw low maxes throughout the whole month almost and record low levels of sunshine, we aren't in the 'awful' territory yet but we've been setting a high water mark in recent years.

London average temp in July is now 23.9c

Posted
1 minute ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Indeed, which reflects how much warmer things are now and how dreadful summers were in decades gone by.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

1 minute ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

Indeed, which reflects how much warmer things are now and how dreadful summers were in decades gone by.

Looking at the last 10 years, the July London average max has now jumped above 25c. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, GokouD said:

Making slow-cooked beef stew and dumplings for dinner, in July! Gives me an excuse to have the oven on for a few hours, might warm the house up a bit...

I'm on my way!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Can we have these showers daily? These temperatures are perfect for me as well. Don't like it too warm and its also nice with some great cloudscape.

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, danm said:

Looking at the last 10 years, the July London average max has now jumped above 25c. 

That is really quite impressive, I remember the old figures I looked at for 1961-1990 at Heathrow were rounded down, average max was 22.46C, you can imagine this was even lower for the 1951-1980 period.

A few other places from 1991-2020 (61-90 in brackets)
London Heathrow - 23.89 (22.46)
Bournemouth - 22.24 (21.41)
Birmingham Coleshill - 22 (21.13)
Norwich Coltishall - 21.65 (20.25)
Cardiff - 21.79 (21.02)
Hull - 22.02 (20.41)
Rochdale - 20.01 (19.26)

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, GokouD said:

It’s that bad isn’t it lol.

I’m sticking with my salads, as they take less time and are lighter. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
13 minutes ago, Quicksilver1989 said:

That is really quite impressive, I remember the old figures I looked at for 1961-1990 at Heathrow were rounded down, average max was 22.46C, you can imagine this was even lower for the 1951-1980 period.

A few other places from 1991-2020 (61-90 in brackets)
London Heathrow - 23.89 (22.46)
Bournemouth - 22.24 (21.41)
Birmingham Coleshill - 22 (21.13)
Norwich Coltishall - 21.65 (20.25)
Cardiff - 21.79 (21.02)
Hull - 22.02 (20.41)
Rochdale - 20.01 (19.26)

Interesting that Norwich in the warm east has a lower mean max than Bournemouth or Birmingham.

Presumably a small number of unusually cold days with wind off the North Sea bring the mean max down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just checked the thermometer. 21C in my house. Perfect indoor temperature.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Summer8906 said:

Interesting that Norwich in the warm east has a lower mean max than Bournemouth or Birmingham.

Presumably a small number of unusually cold days with wind off the North Sea bring the mean max down.

Close proximity to the East Coast ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

You can definitely tell this is the doing of the weak to moderate niño system.  Niño summers do tend to be unstable and rickety as a rule.   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
1 minute ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

You can definitely tell this is the doing of the weak to moderate niño system.  Niño summers do tend to be unstable and rickety as a rule.   

A lot of talk about 2007/12 but is this July looking synoptically similar to 2009? Wasn't that an El Niño year?

That year was of course something of a "sandwich" summer, August wasn't brilliant but a lot better than July!

1997 was the famous Niño summer if I remember right - that was mixed but pretty much all the bad weather occurred in June.