Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Good lad. Exactly what I am doing now. Got back from pub. Thought might as well have a couple more cans before I knock it on the head. 

Ditto!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

It wasn't an awful day here, but it did remind me of a late September type day, so I suppose for the time of year it was on the poor side!

I've got a sneaky concern that if we can't shift this pattern soon the atlantic will wake up in terms of tropical acitvity early for the Cape Verde season and we will see a procession of storms funneling up the central Atlantic basically forcing the Azores high into a pretty locked in pattern of what we currently have, with weak ridges and constant ex tropical cyclones nearby.

Still even if this summer does whiff out, we still had a pretty exceptional June.

June here was great until the 17th only. after that fairly wet.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, SunnyG said:

Yesterday was so awful that today seems great. This is how bad this July is proving. Total, utter bilge.

I thought this!! Today has felt Fantastic! Just to see blue sky and some sun!

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, SunSean said:

Hmm, surprisingly enjoyable day so far. Lots of sunshine, slight patter of rain once in a while and even the massive clouds are moving extremely fast so they haven't been covering the sun too long. I'm not even noticing the wind hardly as my garden is both a heat trap and a wind block lol. Would prefer days like this more often to the constant boring grey.

Amen!! The fast moving clouds was great!!!!

Posted
7 hours ago, danm said:

Yep it’s a lovely sunny afternoon but that wind kills it.

IMG_6012.thumb.jpeg.44e0c877508890fdff6e8d5a3ced7314.jpeg

Beggars can't be choosers ...

Posted
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

It wasn't an awful day here, but it did remind me of a late September type day, so I suppose for the time of year it was on the poor side!

I've got a sneaky concern that if we can't shift this pattern soon the atlantic will wake up in terms of tropical acitvity early for the Cape Verde season and we will see a procession of storms funneling up the central Atlantic basically forcing the Azores high into a pretty locked in pattern of what we currently have, with weak ridges and constant ex tropical cyclones nearby.

Still even if this summer does whiff out, we still had a pretty exceptional June.

That was Spring mate! We're still waiting for summer!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

That was Spring mate! We're still waiting for summer!!

The 'December to remember' was autumn and winter never arrived! 😥

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

This Weather is seriously depressing me now.  Work is stressful but warm sunny days always take the sting out of it.  Want to hide in a hole until we get some proper sunny weather again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well it’s a small improvement for the short term…

DBA3E29E-08D5-4A66-90FD-07BB33765096.thumb.jpeg.66f01a96c74bf042bd810db6dd465c36.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
10 minutes ago, danm said:

Well it’s a small improvement for the short term…

DBA3E29E-08D5-4A66-90FD-07BB33765096.thumb.jpeg.66f01a96c74bf042bd810db6dd465c36.jpeg

Indeed it is, no brilliant heat but a compromise and at least no heat related deaths either.    

Posted
2 minutes ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

Indeed it is, no brilliant heat but a compromise and at least no heat related deaths either.    

Average weather for July that!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Absolutely @Donand just about enough to keep people happy.    

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

People seem to be moaning a lot but it looks to me like we've dodged a bullet so far this summer.

Look at the issues ongoing across parts of America and S Europe-people dropping dead due to things like heat stress etc.

The last few years have taught us that we can no longer get 'bog standard' heatwaves which are fairly pleasant...year on year the temperatures during our hot spells are getting hotter and hotter, which culminated in a record of 40+C last summer. Upper air temperatures seem to be increasing yearly and spreading further N and expanding across larger areas of the mid latitudes. If we're going to start experiencing heat on such levels going forward then we need to have the infrastructure in place...and that means making sure that everyone has access to fairly priced air conditioning etc.

Given a choice between dangerously high temperatures and the weather we've had for the past 3 weeks or so, I'd choose the latter every time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Feels cold this morning, and the wind is already gusting. Clear skies at the moment, at least. 

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

People seem to be moaning a lot but it looks to me like we've dodged a bullet so far this summer.

Look at the issues ongoing across parts of America and S Europe-people dropping dead due to things like heat stress etc.

The last few years have taught us that we can no longer get 'bog standard' heatwaves which are fairly pleasant...year on year the temperatures during our hot spells are getting hotter and hotter, which culminated in a record of 40+C last summer. Upper air temperatures seem to be increasing yearly and spreading further N and expanding across larger areas of the mid latitudes. If we're going to start experiencing heat on such levels going forward then we need to have the infrastructure in place...and that means making sure that everyone has access to fairly priced air conditioning etc.

Given a choice between dangerously high temperatures and the weather we've had for the past 3 weeks or so, I'd choose the latter every time.

A few weeks of 25-30c isn’t going to kill anyone. 

Weeks of 19-21c with long cloudy conditions is depressing in high summer.

Yes, it is very hot in parts of the med, but that doesn’t mean everyone in the U.K. wants to enjoy weeks of crap weather instead.

Rain, cloud, rain and more cloudy weather, on top of weeks of cold and damp weather in spring, to be followed by a few lovely warm weeks in June, now replaced with poor summer weather. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Does it have to be all or nothing, though? A spell of sunny weather with warm temperatures in the mid-high 20’s would be very nice at this time of year, instead of this current garbage. That’s achievable without any extreme heat. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

We better also hope we dodge the same dangerous cold, icy, snowy bullet in the winter as well then, which we more than likely will but we’ll end up in a perpetual autumn with the only seasonal difference being the ‘light’ autumn we are now in verses the ‘dark’ autumn in 6months time. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
32 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

A few weeks of 25-30c isn’t going to kill anyone. 

Weeks of 19-21c with long cloudy conditions is depressing in high summer.

Yes, it is very hot in parts of the med, but that doesn’t mean everyone in the U.K. wants to enjoy weeks of crap weather instead.

Rain, cloud, rain and more cloudy weather, on top of weeks of cold and damp weather in spring, to be followed by a few lovely warm weeks in June, now replaced with poor summer weather. 

Your not reading the post correctly again, your just ignoring the actual content Your first sentence has nothing to do with his post!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
17 minutes ago, Alderc said:

We better also hope we dodge the same dangerous cold, icy, snowy bullet in the winter as well then, which we more than likely will but we’ll end up in a perpetual autumn with the only seasonal difference being the ‘light’ autumn we are now in verses the ‘dark’ autumn in 6months time. 

Give me last years heat over this dross any time
We didn’t even have a brilliant June here like everyone else just scrapped above average although at least it was dry 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Sunshine Table at the halfway point.

I see some normally sunny locations stuck in the bottom half so far! - Dorset, Oxfordshire, Devon, Buckinghamshire and West Sussex! Somerset really low!

I have removed 2 locations for now (may add back at some point)-

Warwickshire- Anomalously high readings despite the surrounding counties being modest.

Bristol- The tiny county is a stones throw from the station in Gloucestershire. 

I have added missing counties to ones nearby so that all 48 can be included.

Any station with missing data is normally a university station so you can find an update in the new sunshine thread 2moz 🌞

Could contain:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Sunshine Table at the halfway point.

I see some normally sunny locations stuck in the bottom half so far! - Dorset, Oxfordshire, Devon, Buckinghamshire and West Sussex! Somerset really low!

I have removed 2 locations for now (may add back at some point)-

Warwickshire- Anomalously high readings despite the surrounding counties being modest.

Bristol- The tiny county is a stones throw from the station in Gloucestershire. 

I have added missing counties to ones nearby so that all 48 can be included.

Any station with missing data is normally a university station so you can find an update in the new sunshine thread 2moz 🌞

Could contain:

Dreadful, over 45hr behind average already down here. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

lol .. first July evening I can remember where the central heating had to be raised from its summer hibernation .. particularly cold evening indoors after yesterday's wind and rain fest.

Whilst digging around on the Net I happened across this "Official Blog" from the MetO relating to the poor 2015 Summer,  with particular reference to : (screenshot)

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2015/08/28/so-what-happened-to-our-summer/

image.thumb.png.930190dc5c461dec337e59ec2c4bf6c5.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, StingJet said:

lol .. first July evening I can remember where the central heating had to be raised from its summer hibernation .. particularly cold evening indoors after yesterday's wind and rain fest.

Whilst digging around on the Net I happened across this "Official Blog" from the MetO relating to the poor 2015 Summer,  with particular reference to : (screenshot)

Lol, isn’t - or wasn’t - the Atlantic much warmer than usual this year? So not only do colder than normal SSTs push the jet stream south, but warmer ones do too? 

Anyway, models looking worse than ever. really hope we tap into some of that European heat come august.

Sod’s Law that we get this awful spring/summer when I’m not going away - I would be in southern France in a couple weeks time!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, StingJet said:

Lol so basically if the Atlantic temperature profile is either significantly above or below average its jam side down for the uk regarding the jet? 

Just about to get onto the plane and head home of the next 9months of winter. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I think the only solace I can take from the constant pitiful Mid-Summer models is that May 2023 was looking on course for being even worse than May 2021 at one point until it completely flipped and gave us a decent 2nd half. Although I don't think the same will happen for July this year, August & September MUST and surely SHOULD be better than this Autumn clone of a month. For anyone that doesn't like the heat or sunshine, this year has been about as absolute perfect as you could ever imagine in your wildest dreams. I hope for fairness sake, we do get a lovely sunny August & September (Not asking for searing temps, just lovely warm sunshine) and also for fairness, heat haters can have a cold snowy December. I just want to experience my fave weather preference a bit more before Mid- Autumn hits because I honestly find it mentally draining going through most of the year with mainly grey skies. I think we should all have our preferred weather a bit more through the year and I'd imagine even heat haters would prefer 19c and sunny to 19c and cloudy? As would I, prefer 0c with snow on the ground and bright skies to 10c and cloudy in Winter.

• Like 1