Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted

I haven't actually found July too bad really. Mainly a mix of sun and torrential showers. Not great obviously but it's been nothing like the March/April horror story with endless cloudy nothingness for weeks on end. At least something is actually happening weather wise.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Can’t do it at the moment, as my partner is a gardener and has clients in west London. 

If we move out, it becomes too expensive for her to commute in, and unlike myself, she has to travel to different areas, so it makes coming into London extremely difficult.

If I were living alone, I would have packed up and moved to the Sussex coast I reckon.

I'm sure she could get some down South and set up down there

Posted
Just now, adrianh said:

I haven't actually found July too bad really. Mainly a mix of sun and torrential showers. Not great obviously but it's been nothing like the March/April horror story with endless cloudy nothingness for weeks on end. At least something is actually happening weather wise.

It’s not great though. The summer is disappearing at the fast rate, and before we know it, September will be upon us once again lol.

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'm sure she could get some down South and set up down there

No, it means growing new clients(no pub intended there lol) and starting from scratch. It takes time to build a business.

I think we will move to Latvia at some point in the next 5-7 years, so until then we will sit tight. By 2030 or shortly after, it’s off to Latvia forever 👍

• Like 2

Posted
25 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't think this is true at all. There are plenty of studies suggesting that the "happiest" nations are in Scandinavia, hardly a warm and sunny climate!

There's a bit of truth there though. Sunny weather can positively affect someone's mood under certain circumstances. For sure though bad weather can't be exclusively linked to depression as there are more serious factors behind depression and mental health in general. 

For example, even though I'm a "coldie", when the sun comes out after a prolonged period of wet weather I have a feeling (slight one but I can sense it) of joy. It lasts like 10sec but it's there. 😀

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, Sunny76 said:

No, it means growing new clients [.]

From seed? Or from cuttings! 😄

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
31 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, I like my English tea, and sometimes the odd pub, but the weather and general lifestyle here is a burden.

I know I don’t enjoy life as much as I should, and that’s down to two things. The expense of living in London, in a small flat with no open space, and the terrible weather, plus the dreadful daily commute to work on the underground.

Yes, think that journey to work must be an ordeal. I was lucky enough to live in the village of Charlwood for several years, nice spot next to the pub and church. Charlwood is located close to Gatwick Airport so could just pop across the field to work back in those days!

Posted
43 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I don't think this is true at all. There are plenty of studies suggesting that the "happiest" nations are in Scandinavia, hardly a warm and sunny climate!

True. Norway, Sweden and Finland are all in the top 10 for happiness. Finland is ranked first and has a far more inferior climate to the UK, if it's warmth and sun you desire. Iceland is ranked 3rd.. Reykjavik is one of the dullest cities on Earth btw. So I don't think it's to do with weather, but more with quality of life overall. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Fairly reasonable day, lots of sunny spells, dry so far. 22c. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, carinthian said:

Yes, think that journey to work must be an ordeal. I was lucky enough to live in the village of Charlwood for several years, nice spot next to the pub and church. Charlwood is located close to Gatwick Airport so could just pop across the field to work back in those days!

Granted, there are lovely places in the U.K., and parts of Berkshire and Bucks, which aren’t too far from my neck of the woods. 

But, it’s expensive to travel when your job is based in central London. I don’t think I could travel 30-40 miles plus each day, every day. I know people who do it, but they are often exhausted as a result of it.

So, it’s either that option, or live closer to town and less than great accommodation for more money, and endure the horrible underground commute. 

Thankfully we live in a nicer part of London, so that’s one good thing. 

However life abroad isn’t all rosey, as I had my fair share of negatives when I lived in Toronto and that was 20 plus years ago. 

Posted

Just a comment on June. Up until 17th it was great, the weather broke on the 18th and the rest of the month here was very changeable, quite wet at times with limited notable warmth. That was just over 4 weeks ago. The first half of July has been very poor. 2 weeks and 2 days good vs over 4 weeks poor, means this summer overall at half way point has in my view been below par. Further south and east it is now probably even stevens, as the warmth and settled extended another week in the main. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
10 minutes ago, Frigid said:

True. Norway, Sweden and Finland are all in the top 10 for happiness. Finland is ranked first and has a far more inferior climate to the UK, if it's warmth and sun you desire. Iceland is ranked 3rd.. Reykjavik is one of the dullest cities on Earth btw. So I don't think it's to do with weather, but more with quality of life overall. 

I am not sure who compiles these ranking. My daughter lives in Sweden and quite a few problems on the integration front and many Swedes love to get away in the winter to escape the long dark days. All Scandinavian countries are very expensive. All good if you have a nice income. Yes, Sweden is a great place to live but personally, Austria, British Columbia via and of course blighty my top 3.

Edited by carinthian
Missed letter
  • Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Index 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

2022 261

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2023 247 (up to 15th July)

Watch it slide fast down the rankings next couple of weeks .

Posted

This week provides a window of respectable weather, still a little below average for the time of year. But at least any showers will be few and far between for this part of the world with some decent sunny spells. 

Screenshot2023-07-17at13_23_15.thumb.png.9e0d6c2f5b27660da4c2330b53d0858d.png

Shame it won't last though...

I'm seriously now trying to see if me and the family can get away and for me to work out in Portugal for a week or two, looking for some last minute deals for a small villa rental near Vale do Lobo or Quinta do Lago areas of the Algarve. The weekend onwards really does not look too good. 

• Thanks 1

Posted

Any extreme heat lovers can fly over to China and experience 52c heat. Looks like a record for there.

Or 46c in Sardinia anyone?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

They also have some of the highest suicide rates in Europe. Go figure.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I’m confused… what is this?

Could contain:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
4 hours ago, Buzz said:

A question for all of the heat lovers here - would you like the UK to endure, for weeks on end, the same temps (upper 30's and into the 40's Celcius) which parts of southern Europe are currently experiencing?

Personally, no - I don’t enjoy those temperatures. But I’d accept that level of heat now for their normal summer conditions later.

Edited by cheese

Posted
53 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Just a comment on June. Up until 17th it was great, the weather broke on the 18th and the rest of the month here was very changeable, quite wet at times with limited notable warmth. That was just over 4 weeks ago. The first half of July has been very poor. 2 weeks and 2 days good vs over 4 weeks poor, means this summer overall at half way point has in my view been below par. Further south and east it is now probably even stevens, as the warmth and settled extended another week in the main. 

It was the opposite here more or less - June was often cloudy and cool until mid month when the easterly flow finally buggered off. Then we had a great couple of weeks with temperatures in the mid/high 20s. 

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again - I don’t like good Junes, because the rest of summer always seems to be crap. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Long spells of strong sunshine, a moderate breeze and getting on for 23C. A horrendous, horrific and diabolical disgrace! 😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

I’m not sure about that. Summers in southern Finland are sunnier than anywhere in the UK (including the south coast) and inland southern Finland has average July highs on par with SE England. Their winters are duller than hours, but they’re at least snowy instead of just drizzly. 

In any case, the UK has the terrible climate of the Netherlands with the terrible economy of Italy, so we have the worst of both worlds these days. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Buzz said:

A question for all of the heat lovers here - would you like the UK to endure, for weeks on end, the same temps (upper 30's and into the 40's Celcius) which parts of southern Europe are currently experiencing?

Nope, 23-28°C for the majority of summer would do me fine, it’s much more about the sunshine. Which I think most of the summer lovers on here would agree with, I’ve not seen anyone baying for those extreme temperatures?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

More to do with quality of life, which Scandinavia has in bucket loads. When in comes to rates of suicide, however, some of the Baltic states, Finland and Sweden have many more than say, the UK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm,sunny,cheerful!.
13 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Beautiful day here I Herts(so far) actually feels like summer!.Not to hot,blue skies.More please!.

Beautiful day here in Herts(so far)actually feels like summer!.Warm sunshine,blue skies.More please!.

• Like 3