Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny days and balmy evenings.

I'm having an outdoor event in Huddersfield this Saturday, what are the best rainfall charts to look at?  It's not looking great ☔

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
56 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Indeed. It's the same as predicting we'll have regular 40+C days in summer this decade. No chance.

No it won't happen, thank goodness, but I do expect to hit that, or may be higher unfortunately at least once every 2-3 summers

58 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Considering we can quite easily not reach 20c in June (and sometimes during July, like this one), I highly doubt we will be getting 20c in December lol.

But we have hit 20 this July.

Posted

rish Met Office published summary reports of the 1991 - 2020 30 year climate data. Lots to look into, but what struck me is the really amazing lack of snow. For Dublin Airport for instance, there is a 30 year mean of 2.2 days a year where snow is lying at 09:00 am in the morning and west of Ireland Snow Chance. Only February gets near a 1 day mean at 0.9. 

It'll be a hard chase this winter I keel with El Nino and warmer seas possibly persisting. But 2010's can happen again.

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Far less frequently though? 

For Heathrow, here's how many 30c+ days there were in Summer throughout the 80's

1980: 0

1981: 0

1982: 0

1983: 9 (remarkably, 6 of those were on consecutive days). '83 was an excellent Summer.

1984: 4

1985: 1

1986: 3

1987: 0

1988: 0

1989: 8 (again, 6 of those were on consecutive days) Another rare excellent UK 80's Summer. 

So the entire decade only saw 25 days hit 30c or above. 5 of the 10 years had no 30c days. That's pretty inconceivable now. The last time we had a Summer in London without hitting 30c would have been in 2007 or 2008, and that in itself was rare for the 21st Century. Rare even for the 90's when most years hit 30c. 

Yes, even on the warmer 1991-2020 average its still 6-9C above average depending on the summer month at Heathrow and even more above average elsewhere.

We often get posts in here talking about wanting a few weeks of 25-30C and sunshine. That sort of weather is as rare as it gets in the UK, even in the south-east. Its reserved for the very best summers.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

But we have hit 20 this July.

I think I wasn't clear on my post / you misread - I didn't mean we haven't hit 20c at all (I mean, its 20c today lol), I meant we've had days this month where we haven't reached 20c. Especially in parts of the country outside the SE.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Once again, whitewash. This country's ability to be near-perpetually cloudy or hazy is actually remarkable. 

The satellite cloud cover map is laughable. It's all specifically clustered around Britain. 

Could contain:

Another day, more Atlantic muck. When will the conveyor belt of dreary boredom end? Have to say, I do like the colour grey. My sofa and armchairs are a lovely deep grey. I have nice grey towels, IKEA bedding, a couple of grey rugs, trendy grey tiles in the bathroom. I’m getting grey in my beard, too. But as a sky colour? No thanks, unless something is being produced from it (rain, hail, snow, lightning, fog, etc.). Blue is so much nicer in that regard. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Decent day here. Yesterday turned out pretty nice too after early showers cleared. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Captain Shortwave said:

In terms of summer weather we have had been with good weather (June this year and essentially the whole of summer 2022). As we speak July is currently running close to normal, though admittedly the temperatures have been a little underwhelming.

Yesterday was my son’s sports day, the sun was out the entire time and the temperature was around 22/23c, not too bad and the rain recently has been welcome because there were signs of stress in some of the plants from the dry spell during June and the preceding months.

It wasn’t dry in spring, but maybe it was in your location.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Thick overcast now in London, not a scrap of blue or sun to be seen.

The dross conditions continue.  

Dull dull dull!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Dreadful here today pouring with rain and currently 13 Celsius 

Got lucky yesterday and had a half decent day although not what I’d call mid summer weather 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cloudy again today, no wind though at least. Just need the sun back!

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, danm said:

Far less frequently though? 

For Heathrow, here's how many 30c+ days there were in Summer throughout the 80's

1980: 0

1981: 0

1982: 0

1983: 9 (remarkably, 6 of those were on consecutive days). '83 was an excellent Summer.

1984: 4

1985: 1

1986: 3

1987: 0

1988: 0

1989: 8 (again, 6 of those were on consecutive days) Another rare excellent UK 80's Summer. 

So the entire decade only saw 25 days hit 30c or above. 5 of the 10 years had no 30c days. That's pretty inconceivable now. The last time we had a Summer in London without hitting 30c would have been in 2007 or 2008, and that in itself was rare for the 21st Century. Rare even for the 90's when most years hit 30c. 

Yes I take your point. We stopped having years when 30c wasn’t reached in 1989(post 1987 warning), and like you say most years since have reached 30-32c more frequently. 

Since 2015, the 35c bracket has been breached a number of times.

The U.K. has been gradually warming for 36 years now, if you look at a month by month period, starting in December 1987.

Like someone said above, the shift has been gradual, but it’s becoming more notable in recent times.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.

This time last year it was 33c, followed by 37c the next day here.

Today we will be lucky to hit 16, and tomorrow is expected to be 17c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Parrtly cloudy skies here. This is comfortable weather for me - Really nice 👍

• Like 2

Posted

It’s fairly humid in London right now, as the clouds cover most of the sky, but the sun is coming out. A slightly better day than yesterday, but we could do with more clear sunny days, over this mucky humid cloudy feeling.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, NorthSeaCloud said:

Madness isn't it. Do we live in the Mediterranean, or the Sub-Arctic? Neither, we live in Britain, where either of those climates can potentially be possible by the flip of a coin!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summer with thunderstorms, freezing cold snowy winters.
7 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Madness isn't it. Do we live in the Mediterranean, or the Sub-Arctic? Neither, we live in Britain, where either of those climates can potentially be possible by the flip of a coin!

Indeed, that is the nature of our climate.

Posted

Anybody else having a weird glitch where post reactions and notifications arent showing up, or just me?

Just says "somebody reacted to your post" with a blank/default profile photo

• Like 2

Posted
37 minutes ago, NorthSeaCloud said:

Yeah, this time last year was terrible, the current temps are far more preferable.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 hour ago, reef said:

Yes, even on the warmer 1991-2020 average its still 6-9C above average depending on the summer month at Heathrow and even more above average elsewhere.

We often get posts in here talking about wanting a few weeks of 25-30C and sunshine. That sort of weather is as rare as it gets in the UK, even in the south-east. Its reserved for the very best summers.

25c isn't rare for London in summer, with around 30 days surpassing that on average.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
44 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s fairly humid in London right now, as the clouds cover most of the sky, but the sun is coming out. A slightly better day than yesterday, but we could do with more clear sunny days, over this mucky humid cloudy feeling.

There was a lot more sunshine yesterday and we reached 23.6c, today is cloudier but there is some hazy sunshine at times. it feels warm though, especially when that sun peaks through. 

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Buzz said:

Yeah, this time last year was terrible, the current temps are far more preferable.

Up here its 14c and rain today. But that heat was quite a lot last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Gowon said:

Parrtly cloudy skies here. This is comfortable weather for me - Really nice 👍

Agreed! Just popped out to the garden centre on our lunch break. Weak sunshine but with the light winds and the time of year it feels really nice.

• Like 2