Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, markyo said:

If not?......cancelled holiday? Many are. Many can't afford them.

Not sure you’d go to these places if there wasn’t a pool or beach? I know I wouldn’t 

7 minutes ago, dryfie said:

Neighbours just returned from a three day (I kid you not!) jaunt to Corfu.  Complaining bitterly about the heat and how nobody warned them.  They kept asking what was causing all this, and it took great constraint to avoid telling them it was partially selfish bastards like themselves.  They were quite upset to find us sitting out in a sunny 22c sipping ouzo (much cheaper in Lidl than in Tesco BTW).

Why are they selfish bastards?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Were I in one of Brits' favourite haunts, I think I'd stay underwater! 🤔

Posted
41 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Looking lovely in Barcelona high 20’s lower 30’s 

That’s just about perfect and obviously not a chance in hell we not going 

I'm a warm weather fan but that is too hot for a city break for me. I'm much less tolerant of heat when walking around cities- it feels much hotter and more oppressive. That said I would definitely still be going if I'd booked a trip there, that's for sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, 38.7°C said:

Anyone else cancelling holidays because of the European heat or is it just the media creating panic and feeding the snowflake generation?? Quite sure there have been far hotter heatwaves down there.  

Most of it is unnecessary hysteria. 

Id have thought more travel plans are being cancelled in the UK tbh.

• Like 5

Posted

There's no need to panic chaps, it's only Italy! Sometimes, I wonder if some folks are actually human! 🤔

_130419468_waterfountainitaly.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Parts of Sardinia and Sicily will be the hottest in Europe with highs of 46C or 47C.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 hours ago, Nick L said:

Meanwhile, another pleasant day here.

Same here. Glorious today here and not too stifling, albeit very warm feeling in direct sunlight.

A very useable day yet people are on here moaning 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have to say, I’ve found it a very typical UK summer so far- mixed. A very warm/hot spell in June followed by more changeable weather which has included wet days, thunderstorms, and sunny days such as today.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, danm said:

Agree. Sitting by the pool in 40 degree heat or camping in wind and rain? I know which I'd prefer. 

Camping at anytime?! 🤣

40c heat?! Nah; it was 36c this time last year when we were in Villa Martin, Spain and that was too hot to do anything but laze by the pool at the villa. Zante in the late 90s still haunts me; 42c for a few days, steaming sea, literally.

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Not sure you’d go to these places if there wasn’t a pool or beach? I know I wouldn’t 

Why are they selfish bastards?

For many years we’ve chosen not to fly, to give the kids a better chance to have a world to live in.  They’ve continued this of their own accord for future children.  In general I accept the right of anybody to have their own values, and not follow suit.  Any family  deserves a nice summer holiday, and many here have done so since schools closed three weeks ago, taking advantage of lower flight costs before English schools shut.  What I take exception to is, having already had four weeks of overseas holidays, people would take a flight for a three day holiday just because it’s cheap due lack of demand.  Folk have a right to sensible holidays, not to ruin the planet for others who can afford nothing.  A couple of weeks ago we booked out of a Telford hotel.  Receptionist asked where we were driving to, and we replied Scotland.  “Oh Scotland, that’s on my bucket list”.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
26 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Same here. Glorious today here and not too stifling, albeit very warm feeling in direct sunlight.

I have to say, I’ve found it a very typical UK summer so far- mixed. A very warm/hot spell in June followed by more changeable weather which has included wet days, thunderstorms, and sunny days such as today.

Nothing usable about the day here, soon as I finished work it was yet again pouring down. Plus side is the kids new wellies are getting loads of use the BBQ not so much 

Indoor temp now down to 20.1 which is dressing gown temp for mrs seabreeze 

And not everybody had a hot June

Edited by seabreeze86
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Well all I can say after looking at this weekend and next week is thank goodness I cancelled my week in Scarborough. Looks bloody awful on the GFS!!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
20 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Camping at anytime?! 🤣

40c heat?! Nah; it was 36c this time last year when we were in Villa Martin, Spain and that was too hot to do anything but laze by the pool at the villa. Zante in the late 90s still haunts me; 42c for a few days, steaming sea, literally.

Haha no camping at anytime for me personally. Definitely not in wind and rain. 

I’d prefer 32c by the pool but if you gave me a choice I’d take 40c by the pool over 15c with wind and rain stuck in a tent. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted

So, another day, another plethora of thunderstorm warnings, and absolutely NOTHING! Note to self: stop trying to imprint warnings onto reality! 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

There was an article a few months back, I think it was the Telegraph so take it with a huge grain of salt... the author discussed the future prospects of holiday destinations. They made the point that popular holiday spots such as Greece and the med coast of Spain will be far too hot for tourism by the middle of the century, and that the Spanish northern coast and destinations such as Brittany, the Belgian riviera and the south of England would have a much more tolerable summertime climate instead! I'm not sure I can imagine a subtropical climate in those regions though, although the climate seems to be changing at an unexpectedly rapid pace.

• Like 2

Posted

Perfectly ok day here. Plenty of sunny spells this afternoon, only one brief shower early this morning. 23/24c

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm,sunny,cheerful!.
18 minutes ago, dryfie said:

For many years we’ve chosen not to fly, to give the kids a better chance to have a world to live in.  They’ve continued this of their own accord for future children.  In general I accept the right of anybody to have their own values, and not follow suit.  Any family  deserves a nice summer holiday, and many here have done so since schools closed three weeks ago, taking advantage of lower flight costs before English schools shut.  What I take exception to is, having already had four weeks of overseas holidays, people would take a flight for a three day holiday just because it’s cheap due lack of demand.  Folk have a right to sensible holidays, not to ruin the planet for others who can afford nothing.  A couple of weeks ago we booked out of a Telford hotel.  Receptionist asked where we were driving to, and we replied Scotland.  “Oh Scotland, that’s on my bucket list”.

Not flying on a plane isn't going to save the planet,when China,Brazil,USA,and India couldn't give a fig.We contribute less than 1% of global emissions.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Meat n Two Veg said:

Not flying on a plane isn't going to save the planet,when China,Brazil,USA,and India couldn't give a fig.We contribute less than 1% of global emissions.

Yep targeting families who have their one holiday a year whilst other countries pump out tonnes upon tonnes of CO2….

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

There was an article a few months back, I think it was the Telegraph so take it with a huge grain of salt... the author discussed the future prospects of holiday destinations. They made the point that popular holiday spots such as Greece and the med coast of Spain will be far too hot for tourism by the middle of the century, and that the Spanish northern coast and destinations such as Brittany, the Belgian riviera and the south of England would have a much more tolerable summertime climate instead! I'm not sure I can imagine a subtropical climate in those regions though, although the climate seems to be changing at an unexpectedly rapid pace.

I remember the so called experts saying 20 years ago that we would be growing pineapples in southern England by now.Al Gore said New York would be under water by now...

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Meat n Two Veg said:

I remember the so called experts saying 20 years ago that we would be growing pineapples in southern England by now.Al Gore said New York would be under water by now...

Really? 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Yep targeting families who have their one holiday a year whilst other countries pump out tonnes upon tonnes of CO2….

Precisely.I feel no guilt in flying.When the US president stops flying around the world with air force one,and multiple back up planes,including a motor procession of gas guzzling  vehicles,then I'll take notice.When China stops building a coal powered energy plant practically every week,then I'll take notice.This island grandstanding makes zero difference.

4 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

Really? 

Yes,really.And everything Al Gore said would happen,hasn't (COYS,btw😁)

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, danm said:

WHat percentage of holidaymakers in the worst affected areas are actually cancelling their holidays? A tiny, tiny % i'd suspect. 

So families wanting their one holiday per year (in most cases) are selfish bastards? Ok then...

SEI_164411148-141e_1689771090.jpg?qualit
METRO.CO.UK

'We’ve had to stay in our room most of the day.'

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Fantastic day working in North Wales. Blue sky, lovely temp. This summer has been what is called typical UK weather. The level of moaning on here is not though, it borders on aggression a times, which i find both fascinating and disturbing. I could understand it if it was akin to 2007, its not. The hottest June every recorded, yet it is continuous the moaning even though it hasn't by any means been a washout. The Crowdon set of res which feed Manchester, the top one is totally dry! Out completely! The other 2 are under half full. That is the Pennies as well don't forget.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:
METRO.CO.UK

Heatwave? What heatwave? It's always warm down there in summer! 😁

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, markyo said:
METRO.CO.UK

A metro article with a dramatic headline doesn’t exactly help. I’d still wager cancellations will be a tiny %. 

• Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, danm said:

And that’s exactly what I didn’t say.  I specifically said that reasonable air use was acceptable, just not over obstensious use for the sake of it. 

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4