Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s pathetic. 

As soon as we had a few hot days of 28-29c( after weeks and months of chilly weather in the spring) during June, the London news starring giving out heat alerts.

Oh please!! It just so ridiculous, how the media loves to stir things up.

The heat alerts have nothing to do with weather warnings, they are aimed at infrastructure, and are not a new thing, them being braidcast by the news is new however, wish they would stop it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

July 23 is fast becoming a replica of July 09, very wet, dull and cool.

Synoptically, that's also the case.. 

image.thumb.png.06ef3384141029b3d72b300b06deefb3.pngimage.thumb.png.fc478354d4b77241be42ee1e3cea7f81.png

• Insightful 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

I think unless the forecasts change it's extremely likely that July 2023 will be considerably worse than 2012. Remember that was half-decent after the 19th and featured a particularly good few days from around the 22nd-27th.

As for 2007, not sure. That month had three settled days at the end of the month, so if this doesn't happen, it could be argued that the month will be worse even than 2007. That year also had scattered sunny days earlier in the month, e.g. 16th, 18th, 22nd and 24th.

For sunshine and rainfall, it's so far been poor but not terrible. July 2010 (which was warmer) is in a league of its own for lack of sunshine round here, an atrocious 86 hours which has nearly been reached this month. For rainfall it's above average so far but not exceptionally so, though a few wet days could change that.

The lowest absolute maximum for the second half of July since 1988 is 20.8 in 2009- having fallen just short yesterday (20.7 according to the synop) that one could fall if the forecasts of 17-19 right through till the end of the month come off.

• Thanks 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Summer8906 said:

As for 2007, not sure. That month had three settled days at the end of the month, so if this doesn't happen, it could be argued that the month will be worse even than 2007. That year also had scattered sunny days earlier in the month, e.g. 16th, 18th, 22nd and 24th.

Yes you are right last 3 days..2007..August was a good month but cold nights..

This week has been dire with slack movements and watery clouds which seem to want to drop rain in a strange manner today..

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Watching cricket (Manchester) and golf today  (Dee Estuary) on the box , and the weather has been great. Here (and  I suspect many more  southern areas) have had infuriating clouds  and a few spots of rain.

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Felt like autumn today, coldest feeling day in weeks, could be down to 8C tonight, feels as though autumn is in the air with a definite nip, slight ground frost possible in prone areas of north?

Posted
9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I would rather the 40c by the pool.

Nothing would make me cancel a holiday even it it’s 48c in Sardinia.

I wouldn’t cancel my med holiday, only to be stuck back in this country with the potential of a rainy and unsettled week on the Sussex coast? No thanks.

I like this country, but it’s always so unreliable when it comes to good summer weather when you need it.

I wouldn’t cancel a med holiday if it was 40c.  However, if it was forecast to be 48c, I would consider cancelling!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s pathetic. 

As soon as we had a few hot days of 28-29c( after weeks and months of chilly weather in the spring) during June, the London news starring giving out heat alerts.

Oh please!! It just so ridiculous, how the media loves to stir things up.

You better hope theres no cold alerts this winter then mate if it just drops to freezing.....your going to look very silly🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

July 23 is fast becoming a replica of July 09, very wet, dull and cool.

Let's pray this winter follows the one that followed that summer!

• Like 4

Posted
44 minutes ago, Snowyowl9 said:

Yes you are right last 3 days..2007..August was a good month but cold nights..

This week has been dire with slack movements and watery clouds which seem to want to drop rain in a strange manner today..

Have you got that rain that literally does nothing, except you can feel a drop on your skin every 30s. If so, welcome to se type weather, for the last few years re rain, unless it's heavy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Let's pray this winter follows the one that followed that summer!

We can only hope and pray!.....Last Winter we actually had!

• Like 2

Posted
36 minutes ago, markyo said:

You better hope theres no cold alerts this winter then mate if it just drops to freezing.....your going to look very silly🤣

I actually prefer a frosty cold winter, but I hate the damp 10-12c stuff, as that always feels colder to me.

26 minutes ago, markyo said:

We can only hope and pray!.....Last Winter we actually had!

With El Niño on the doorstep, isn’t a very mild winter more likely? 

I love hot summers, but I don’t want a mild winter. 

Posted
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

The heat alerts have nothing to do with weather warnings, they are aimed at infrastructure, and are not a new thing, them being braidcast by the news is new however, wish they would stop it.

It's the time of year when the media looks for heatwave headlines, start of school holidays.. if you watch the news year to year, the same themed stories occur with regular singularity, economic, health and weatherwise.. first week of Jan is always NHS crisis for example.. you bet come November it will be all talk of 'hard times to come' etc.. generally this time of year is peppered with heat stories, and used to be called the silly season on account of lack of political stories. 

Mondays always seem to bring the hardest hitting depressing stories, tv programmes are the same on a Monday, but never a Fri or Sunday eve..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

It's the time of year when the media looks for heatwave headlines, start of school holidays.. if you watch the news year to year, the same themed stories occur with regular singularity, economic, health and weatherwise.. first week of Jan is always NHS crisis for example.. you bet come November it will be all talk of 'hard times to come' etc.. generally this time of year is peppered with heat stories, and used to be called the silly season on account of lack of political stories. 

Mondays always seem to bring the hardest hitting depressing stories, tv programmes are the same on a Monday, but never a Fri or Sunday eve..

September for the first big freeze winter stories!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Paul said:

Oh and don't forget the easter heatwave! Unfortunately the weather becomes a political topic for the media, and apparently a weather headline story increases sales of papers by 10% or at least used to.. money talks..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
7 minutes ago, Paul said:

They'll be hard pressed this year I reckon, we're overdue for a "tropical" winter à la 2015. Having said that, it's been a long while since we had that October heatwave. Not that the tabloids really care about probability, they're more interested in what the average Wetherspoons customer wants to believe (thinking of those 40°c heatwaves they were predicting back in May)

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Oh and don't forget the easter heatwave! Unfortunately the weather becomes a political topic for the media, and apparently a weather headline story increases sales of papers by 10% or at least used to.. money talks..

Yeah, daily express for example. Bad weather plastered all over the front page, and people lap it up. Gets on my nerves telling people not to pay attention to it, then getting looked at like I'm mad, only for a couple of weeks later, them saying, it doesn't look like that heatwave is gonna happen, and start talking about how the jet stream is in the wrong place, forgetting I already told them that. Talking about the mirror and that silly two week 40⁰ heatwave nonsense they printed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
6 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

The July 1987 Greece heatwave was one of the worst and probably just as dangerous as this current one. It was over 40c then for a number of days.

Don’t think many Brits would be cancelling a Greek holiday in the summer of 1987, when we were witnessing a truly dire run of cool summers.

Summer 1980 in the USA was probably even worse compared to this current heatwave in Europe. The daytime highs were regularly hitting and exceeding 35c-40c.

It’s all happened before.

The heat haters just love to latch on to the fact it’s becoming dangerously hot, because they hate the heat, and want everyone else to live in a world where it’s damp and cool all year round.

The 1936 July / August heatwave also in the USA is unprecedented of which many records still stand today.The town of steele North Dakota recorded 49.4 degrees on July 6th along with Alton in Kansas also 49.4 degrees which are still the hottest temps recorded in the contiguous  USA outside of the desserts  , Bismarck exceeded 38  degrees from the 5th to the 12th with 3 of those days reaching 44 degrees .Altu  in  Oklahoma averaged a max of 43.2 for the month of August and Ozark in Arkansas topped 38 degrees for 20 days in a row during the month.  Towns in Texas were over 38 degrees from July 12th till Aug 27th.Even Wisconsin had temps over 45 degrees among many days over 40 .Many states suffered and night minima of 33 degrees  must of been harsh when air conditioning was non existent with giant ice cubes placed in front of fans and people sleeping outside. Nothing like it has come close and that's how people coped.The media would be in a frenzy now but this was 87 years ago.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, emmett garland said:

The 1936 July / August heatwave also in the USA is unprecedented of which many records still stand today.The town of steele North Dakota recorded 49.4 degrees on July 6th along with Alton in Kansas also 49.4 degrees which are still the hottest temps recorded in the contiguous  USA outside of the desserts  , Bismarck exceeded 38  degrees from the 5th to the 12th with 3 of those days reaching 44 degrees .Altu  in  Oklahoma averaged a max of 43.2 for the month of August and Ozark in Arkansas topped 38 degrees for 20 days in a row during the month.  Towns in Texas were over 38 degrees from July 12th till Aug 27th.Even Wisconsin had temps over 45 degrees among many days over 40 .Many states suffered and night minima of 33 degrees  must of been harsh when air conditioning was non existent with giant ice cubes placed in front of fans and people sleeping outside. Nothing like it has come close and that's how people coped.The media would be in a frenzy now but this was 87 years ago.

Yes sometimes you'd think the world has never experienced comparable heat ever before. They just look for individual weather record events which can be a one day wonder.. rarely talk about extreme seasons as a whole.  Anyhow that's enough from me on what I think about the media and weather stories. 

• Like 1

Posted

It’s not been too bad the last two days here in Somerset- dry and quite warm and a decent amount of sun. Certainly better than forecast. Not looking forward to the weekend, though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Im heading to Somerset, Sunday to Friday coming, not timed that well! Hoping for just one dry usable day..

Yes not the best week coming up at all. Very different to the same week last year.

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Have you got that rain that literally does nothing, except you can feel a drop on your skin every 30s. If so, welcome to se type weather, for the last few years re rain, unless it's heavy.

Not really..

Today was very different..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Days 21C or above at Shawbury in "poor" Julys:

2020- 5

2015- 7

2012- 7

2009- 7

2007- 6

1998- 4

1993- 10 

1988- 0

2023 so far; 4, and the forecast is 17/18/19 every day for at least the next week. Average max for 91-20 is 21.1, and 20.9 for 81-10 so 21 is bang average over the two periods. No escaping it, this month has been poor and could well end up worse than any of the 07-12 lot on this measure (all the others in that spell had at least 10). 2020 really was dire until the last couple of days.

Average high at my closest station in July is 21.4C. Average high so far this July is 20.6C. The very worst Julys like 2012 had average highs below 20C here, so we’re not close to that yet. We are however getting close to July 2020 which had an average high of 20C. 

Today was pleasant with sunny spells and a high of 21C - exactly the kind of weather you’d expect at this time of year. One last decent day tomorrow before a washout on Saturday 

Edited by cheese