Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
49 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Shades of 2012 ….

Whilst this month has been poor, I will refrain from comparing it with 2012 (or 2007) until we see widespread destructive flooding like we did in those two summers. We might have dodged a bullet with the very dry spell from mid May to mid June which helped the river and soil moisture levels recover from the wet spring.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
7 minutes ago, al78 said:

Whilst this month has been poor, I will refrain from comparing it with 2012 (or 2007) until we see widespread destructive flooding like we did in those two summers. We might have dodged a bullet with the very dry spell from mid May to mid June which helped the river and soil moisture levels recover from the wet spring.

In your backyard perhaps, but as noted already on here by some members on here ,it's been worse than those infamous summers in some parts of the country 😩

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
19 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Everybody was rediculed on here for saying that weeks ago the up coming weather pattern was similar to 2012 . Well it's come back to haunt many people! 

Wild fires existed and used to happen long before hotels and people were there

Didn't say otherwise, but this is a major event to everyone who's lost houses or jobs, to wildlife in the area, to travelers, some Greeks have lost everything. That is no over reaction.

• Like 4

Posted
15 minutes ago, weatherguru14 said:

Alex Deakin  gets on my nerves when it comes to climate change . Its obviously happening. but he seems to push it when its not needed.. (just my opinion) in the sense of saying July has been around average. Im sure he will change  that next time theres deep dive. 

July 2012 from my recollection  was very cold and cloudy. This July has been basically wet wet and more wet. both rubbish weather months 

Don't know about other parts of the UK, as many places have faired a lot worse than here, but we are running at around average for temps and probably sun here. Not sure about rain amounts though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Met forecast actually looks ok for this week tbf. Not great but not terrible either. Think it will depend on how many showers we get. 

E08E979F-6FEB-47CD-B6ED-BD726A0E908E.thumb.png.01952e518ac968e9dcfded48784343a0.png

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A temporary mood lift yesterday with some long overdue warmth and sun.

Back from to earth this morning. Cloudy, damp, chilly, 14°C…

• Like 3

Posted

All that talk about sandwiches concidering this summer, hoping for a better August. I seem to be in one right now, front coming down from the north, showers coming up from the SW.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Pretty dire for late July. Not one of the next 10 days will even reach the average maximum temperature either, according to this forecast. Hope it’s better in reality.

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Cold and damp in London. You could mistake it for November out there this morning - and not for the first time this month.. 

I can't bear to listen to the news talk about the heatwaves all over the world any more while it's like this here. 😐

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Say that to the travelers stuck in Greece who's hotels have burnt down. 

Yes It is a problem for the locals - no doubt. But they are doing all they can to solve the problems caused. 

Yes it is  a problem for them  (but it seems to be a god send) for the BBC management team staff that were sent out from London. My understanding is that they sent 3 teams to countries in Europe at the end of last week  (SpaIn and Italy also) to report on the heat issues.  Why not rely on the local reporters (as they would in the Alps I have no doubt, if it was snow). 

If every country and service organisation sent the CC people out to see with their own eyes, then there would be more reporters than holiday makers.

Sorry - but I do not see how they are helping the locals. The travellers are the responsibility of the holiday companies - not the  BBC.

MIA

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Cold and damp in London. You could mistake it for November out there this morning - and not for the first time this month.. 

I can't bear to listen to the news talk about the heatwaves all over the world any more while it's like this here. 😐

It's not reached here yet, but getting closer, have the same weather as yesterday for now.

2 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Yes It is a problem for the locals - no doubt. But they are doing all they can to solve the problems caused. 

Yes it is  a problem for them  (but it seems to be a god send) for the BBC management team staff that were sent out from London. My understanding is that they sent 3 teams to countries in Europe at the end of last week  (SpaIn and Italy also) to report on the heat issues.  Why not rely on the local reporters (as they would in the Alps I have no doubt, if it was snow). 

If every country and service organisation sent the CC people out to see with their own eyes, then there would be more reporters than holiday makers.

Sorry - but I do not see how they are helping the locals. The travellers are the responsibility of the holiday companies - not the  BBC.

MIA

Agreed, not sure I ever said the BBC was helping anything

Posted

It's clouding over now, but still dry. Showers about so will probably get something soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
2 hours ago, al78 said:

They are the issue. If favourable conditions for wildfires are increasing, that will make wildfires more likely, regardless of the trigger.

An indirect attempt to deny any possible link to climate change and heat related extremes.

Keep on 2nd guessing al78 , your previous comments have been noted , at present I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request "Drop the Climate Denialist Attitude"
For the following reasons 
I have no affiliation with any organisation or agenda related to climate denial ..  moreover to deny climate change would be to deny humanities existence
Likewise I have no affiliation to any Conspiracy Agenda(s)

The evidence is suggestive that Climate Change will impact on European Wind Storms, as the key driver of rapid cyclogenesis is indeed the Jet Stream.
The evidence is also suggestive that Climate Change will impact on the frequency (more) and outbreaks of wildfires, but specifically around wildfires trigged by lightning , moreover affecting Country such as Canada, with a specific reference to their catastrophic wild fires recently.

My response to Markyo was purely to note that the heatwave will increase the risk of wildfires but not the issue / cause .. if this was the case then the majority of countries bordering the med including the islands would now be on fire , clearly not the case, other than what is BAU for these hot regions through the summer

You may want to consider dropping the "self righteous and arrogant" attitude that appears to surface in  many of your responses.

And just for the record .. I spent the 90's Mountain Biking 40 miles a day to work and back, come rain or shine,  for the avoidance of using a car!
How is your carbon footprint looking after your recent trip to Norway?
Furthermore, for the avoidance of commuting daily from the Isle of Anglesey to Cheshire (2007-2015), I converted my VW T4 Windsurfing Van into a sleep over, making the commute just there and back once a week.  Believe you me "vanning it" you get to experience extremes of temperature at both ends of the spectrum from baking hot (+30c) to freezing cold  (-17c)

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 6

Posted
22 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

MIA

That's all they do nowadays: scare stories, gossip and sucking up to the Royal Family. Avoid BBC News like the plague.

• Like 3

Posted
56 minutes ago, Dagmar said:

Another pitiful day. Skies heavy, pouring with rain. Nothing is thriving. The trees are heavy and drooping, wildlife is silent, there are no kids playing out in the first week of their holidays. Cafés are empty, ice cream unsold. Sporting fixtures ruined. Money wasted. Dreadful.

Everything looks sorry. Utterly pitiful.

To think people like this sort of thing. It's perverse.

Conscious this reads like something Morrissey would write but whatever. I'm done with it.

It's so depressing, all these long days squandered on cr*ppy weather... such a waste.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

There's still time for that....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well I took advantage of the missus's regrets about not getting away over the weekend, and managed to find a great last minute deal on a small villa in the Algarve and fly out on Thursday early morning for a week, same time zone so I can work from there whilst the kids splash in the pool. 

I'm hoping when we return on the 3rd that things will have improved here, but looking at the models this morning, I'm not so sure it will. 

After a nice day yesterday we're back down to earth with a bang this morning. Cool, cloudy, damp. It looks and feels like Autumn out there. We're still not at 2007 or 2012 levels of awfulness, but this is one of the longest periods of cool and unsettled Summer weather I can remember for quite some time. Maybe mid June to mid July 2021 down here, but other than that we'd probably have to go back to 2011. Even that cooler spell in June 2019 I don't think lasted as long.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Comparing the most recent 30 days (24th June- 23rd July) to the previous 30 days (25th May- 23rd June), for Heathrow-

25th May- 23rd June- 20/30 days with 50% plus sunshine

24th June- 23rd July- 4/30 days with 50% plus sunshine.

What a fall. Yikes!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, danm said:

Well I took advantage of the missus's regrets about not getting away over the weekend, and managed to find a great last minute deal on a small villa in the Algarve and fly out on Thursday early morning for a week, same time zone so I can work from there whilst the kids splash in the pool. 

I'm hoping when we return on the 3rd that things will have improved here, but looking at the models this morning, I'm not so sure it will. 

After a nice day yesterday we're back down to earth with a bang this morning. Cool, cloudy, damp. It looks and feels like Autumn out there. We're still not at 2007 or 2012 levels of awfulness, but this is one of the longest periods of cool and unsettled Summer weather I can remember for quite some time. Maybe mid June to mid July 2021 down here, but other than that we'd probably have to go back to 2011. Even that cooler spell in June 2019 I don't think lasted as long.

Oh, i'm so jealous Dan. Where u going in the Algarve, if u dont mind me asking?

Enjoy😎👍

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Oh, i'm so jealous Dan. Where u going in the Algarve, if u dont mind me asking?

Enjoy😎👍

A villa about 15mins drive north of Vale do Lobo. Me and the wife had spent a few days in that area way back in 2014 before we had kids at a hotel and the beaches there are beautiful. 

Edited by danm
  • Thanks 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

Is it only the Vatican up in flames????

image.thumb.png.f9c595f44370caae1823a7401676d0a8.png

Is that dot a wild fire, not sure what your pic is showing

Posted
5 minutes ago, danm said:

A villa about 15mins drive north of Vale do Lobo. Me and the wife had spent a few days in that area way back in 2014 before we had kids at a hotel and the beaches there are beautiful. 

Nice. We go a lot further West than there. I'm sure u'll have a great week👍.

• Thanks 1