Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
3 minutes ago, B87 said:

Nothing, but it isn't hot. It's completely unremarkable summer weather. You can see the heat was in the first half of August last year. The 2nd half was warm but not hot.

Screenshot_20230730_130338_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.555c3a27eb6b3ae9287e70f4488be709.jpg

I'd bank any of those temps for August 23 (25th aside)

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
Just now, StingJet said:

I'd bank any of those temps for August 23 

23/24c is the average for August. I'd want at least an above average one this year to make up for July. 

A 250 sun hour August would do, to make up for the 170 sun hour rubbish from July (a 50 hour deficit).

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, B87 said:

23/24c is the average for August. I'd want at least an above average one this year to make up for July. 

A 250 sun hour August would do, to make up for the 170 sun hour rubbish from July (a 50 hour deficit).

I'll run with that 👍
First week or so to get through , probably not even scraping average , thereafter , I have just about everything that can be "crossed"  crossed

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
15 hours ago, Addicks Fan 1981 said:

good for certain industries,

Curious as to what industries these are? 

Energy companies? And indoor retail?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
12 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

It's insane to me that in a country at this latitude, in the height of summer, it can be 17-21c, windy and cloudy for weeks on end. That kind of weather obviously needs a jumper unless you're some kind of fur covered animal. How can this be the peak of "warmth"... I just don't get it. Not asking for 40c but having a grey sheet constantly over my head is really depressing. It's like living under a low brightness camera filter.

Before you say "move somewhere else then!!!!!!!!" - I just turned 18. Give me the money and maybe I will!

Indeed. But it can also be 25-30c and sunny for weeks (like last year or in 2018). 

Our weather conditions from the months of April to Sept are really just a bit of a gamble. It could be quite similar to somewhere like Barcelona for several weeks or longer, or it could be virtually indistinguishable from Torshavn or Bergen. Coin flip as to which. With last July and this July being prime examples of that disparity. 

Its one of my main gripes tbh. Some people love the "changeability" of it, but for me personally, it just makes planning for things incredibly difficult, especially as someone who loves hiking, mountaineering and camping. I'm a fan of realiable, seasonal weather that does what you expect it's going to do, at the relevant time of year. 

I know I'm in the wrong country for that, but thats my preference/ideal nonetheless.

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Over the years when the weather turned wet for protracted periods  it was always said "good for ducks and brolly sales"

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, Don said:

A Jumper?  I can't remember the last time I wore one of those, perhaps during winter 2009/10 or December 2010?!  Defo not since!

Did you go sans layers during Beast from the East!?

10 hours ago, Don said:

Not going to say that, but whilst we’ve not had the best of summer weather recently, 17-21c is hardly freezing and does not really require a jumper!

It's mostly about the mornings and evening. This July has been fine for just t-shirt /shirt during the day but the evenings (and nights) have been very chilly for this time of year especially if you're remaining outside for a prolonged period. Especially as it's been (and still is) rather windy. Not just a soft summer breeze. 

I do quite alot of camping in summer and can't recall the last July where I've needed this many layers during the evenings/nights.

• Like 3

Posted
24 minutes ago, B87 said:

Nothing, but it isn't hot. It's completely unremarkable summer weather. You can see the heat was in the first half of August last year. The 2nd half was warm but not hot.

Screenshot_20230730_130338_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.555c3a27eb6b3ae9287e70f4488be709.jpg

Honestly I'd happily take sustained 23c and sunny, let alone 24-29c. Might be unremarkable but far better than the 17-21/22c and cloudy that's dominated this July. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It's mostly about the mornings and evening. This July has been fine for just t-shirt /shirt during the day but the evenings (and nights) have been very chilly for this time of year especially if you're remaining outside for a prolonged period. Especially as it's been (and still is) rather windy. Not just a soft summer breeze. 

I do quite alot of camping in summer and can't recall the last July where I've needed this many layers during the evenings/nights.

For sure !  Whilst any half decent sunny spell through the day has been supported by a strong "summer" sun ,  as soon as dusk approaches temps fall off a cliff , especially when accompanied by "clear skies" , granted though , given cloud cover overnight the drop in temps is somewhat arrested 
I cannot recall low temps (sub 10c)  in July before , that has been experienced of late

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 2

Posted

I can't wait to see the back of this summer. At least when it's autumn cr*ppy weather is par for the course and if it isn't, it's a bonus. But a dull summer really fills me with rage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Heading out for the afternoon. Who to believe when it comes to the radar returns?Hmmm,i think as ever I will ignore the Met Office jokers. They really are appalling. 

Could contain:

Could contain:

Posted
1 minute ago, SunnyG said:

I can't wait to see the back of this summer. At least when it's autumn cr*ppy weather is par for the course and if it isn't, it's a bonus. But a dull summer really fills me with rage.

Yep .. I can understand your feelings , I actually have utter contempt for the models at present , especially the GFS,  (06z run refers)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
26 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Probably farming, but it's slightly to wet, for some harvests though, were the product should be dry like hay, and stuff. You don't want new green shoots growing now, which many have.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
20 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Indeed. But it can also be 25-30c and sunny for weeks (like last year or in 2018). 

Our weather conditions from the months of April to Sept are really just a bit of a gamble. It could be quite similar to somewhere like Barcelona for several weeks or longer, or it could be virtually indistinguishable from Torshavn or Bergen. Coin flip as to which. With last July and this July being prime examples of that disparity. 

Its one of my main gripes tbh. Some people love the "changeability" of it, but for me personally, it just makes planning for things incredibly difficult, especially as someone who loves hiking, mountaineering and camping. I'm a fan of realiable, seasonal weather that does what you expect it's going to do, at the relevant time of year. 

I know I'm in the wrong country for that, but thats my preference/ideal nonetheless.

Yep, since June it’s definitely not been camping weather. Am thinking of selling all my camping gear if this carries on lol! Needs to be warm and dry for camping, otherwise it’s not fun for me. See how next year goes 

• Like 1

Posted

16c, grey, raining steadily and by looks of the radar we're prob stuck under this for the afters.

I can tell how crap a July it's been because i'm having yet another Sunday roast in July; one of the positives of a crap weather Sunday in mid-Summer.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
30 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I said in a post the other day.   

Posted
4 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yep, since June it’s definitely not been camping weather. Am thinking of selling all my camping gear if this carries on lol! Needs to be warm and dry for camping, otherwise it’s not fun for me. See how next year goes 

Isn't part of the fun of camping being out in all weather's battling the elements? 🤔 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Wimbledon88 said:

Isn't part of the fun of camping being out in all weather's battling the elements? 🤔 

Camping? Fun?🙄😉

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Wimbledon88 said:

Not for me. You can’t really sleep under the stars (which is magical) when it’s chilly, drizzling and windy. I like a nice warm evening where we can grill dinner and have a nice fire. 

• Like 1

Posted
11 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

Subjective! Have worn a hoodie in 24c before. 17-21 really can feel cold if it's windy and cloudy, and especially so if it's wet as well.

But my main problem is the sunshine. 59 hours in the last three weeks which would be poor for January. A real shame for the amount of daylight we get. Relentless cloud presents what should be such a beautiful country in such a depressing light.

Praying this summer will start feeling like summer again and I can go back to posting every day smiling about how uplifting the weather has been, as I was for most of May and June 🙂 

I'm pretty sure August will give us some warm sunny days, albeit no repeat of last year.  At least 'when' the sun does shine currently, the landscape is lush, rather than the dust bowl of last summer.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

16c, grey, raining steadily and by looks of the radar we're prob stuck under this for the afters.

I can tell how crap a July it's been because i'm having yet another Sunday roast in July; one of the positives of a crap weather Sunday in mid-Summer.

Same here, having a roast today too, weather feels autumnal 

• Like 1

Posted
28 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Hmm, good question!  I defo wore a winter coat then lol!

I must admit, although I haven't felt cold this July, I wouldn't particularly want to spend a night out in it i.e. camping, especially when it's wet!  Nothing worse than that.  This July has definitely lacked warm summer evenings to enjoy the beer gardens, so in no way am I saying it's been a good month like June.

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

I'm pretty sure August will give us some warm sunny days, albeit no repeat of last year.  At least 'when' the sun does shine currently, the landscape is lush, rather than the dust bowl of last summer.

Yes, the landscape certainly looks good, let’s hope it doesn’t turn into a quagmire of mud!

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

17-21 definitely requires a jumper for me

Yes, it just shows how different we all are when it comes to temperature tolerance.  Kind of swings and roundabouts as I cope well when it's cold but not when it's too hot, whereas it's the other way round for you.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Camping? Fun?🙄😉

Sorry .. this had to be posted 

https://youtu.be/jH4QZaTdbp8

• Like 3