Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
11 hours ago, SunSean said:

Really surprising stat for July (Heathrow)-

From 2006, only 7 days out of a possible 558 (around 1.25%) in July have been 35 degrees plus! And only one 35 degrees plus from 2007-2017. Could have sworn we hit 35 more than that in July but not as common as I imagined. 

30 degrees has been hit 55 times out of 558 (9.9%)

At the other end of the scale, less than 20 degrees has been achieved 60 times out of 558 (10.8%)

Which surely shows that "extreme heat" is honestly not that common at all in Summers since 2000, nowhere near as common as it's often painted-out as being.

On the flipside, cool and below average max weather is much more common in our climate. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
11 minutes ago, SunSean said:

Sunshine totals for July (Awaiting 4 more stations for their final day- will post later on in the sun thread)

Lancashire were the unlucky county to finish on double digits.

Nowhere reached the 200 hour mark!

Hopefully a sunnier August, September & October!

Could contain:

I mean, none of that is good, but 93 hours in an entire month where each day has like 16-18 hours potential of sunshine. That's appalling.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Sunshine totals for July (Awaiting 4 more stations for their final day- will post later on in the sun thread)

Could contain:

154hrs is absolutely dreadful for here. Still I’m sure we’ll have it wasn’t a bad month banded about by some.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Could contain:

110 hours.... 7 clear days out of 31 would have exceeded that. Horrific.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Which surely shows that "extreme heat" is honestly not that common at all in Summers since 2000, nowhere near as common as it's often painted-out as being.

On the flipside, cool and below average max weather is much more common in our climate. 

Yep, totally agree. Reality and perceptions can be very different...! It's also why I do sometimes scratch my head when some folk bemoan the 'lack' of 30c+ temperatures on a regular basis...sure, the UK climate is getting warmer, but 30c+ is just not that common in this country and expecting that sort of heat (if you're a heat-seeker) isn't necessarily realistic. 

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Yep, totally agree. Reality and perceptions can be very different...! It's also why I do sometimes scratch my head when some folk bemoan the 'lack' of 30c+ temperatures on a regular basis...sure, the UK climate is getting warmer, but 30c+ is just not that common in this country and expecting that sort of heat (if you're a heat-seeker) isn't necessarily realistic. 

For sure. There have been 2 very hot recent years (2018 and 2022) that have affected perceptions a little, but during years outside that, 30c+, especially 35c+, happen on a handful of days at most. 

I consider myself more of a summer-seeker than a heat-seeker specifically, although of course there's a degree of overlap. But by that, I mean, I'd rather have 20c and sunny than 30c and thick cloud, and generally find temps in the 30s to be primarily suited for outdoors activities, days at the beach (or a pool), or somewhere where I can wear minimal clothing (i.e. not going to work in a suit haha).

I don't bemoan our lack of 30c+ days, I bemoan when we have long spells without sunny days in the 22-27c range, which is definitely reasonable and expected weather to occur across most of England from June to August, especially in the SE where i live. This July being a prime example of this,

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My BBC app thingy has me down for 16C on Saturday. 🥶

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
26 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Down here we average about 5 days per year with 30c+ temps, mostly between June and August. To not get at least 1 or 2 days of 30c in a summer is very rare.  

When we do get 30c, it's usually surrounded by 27-29c days as well.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It’s cool… it’s windy… but it is at least sunny! Happy Augtober all.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

It’s cool… it’s windy… but it is at least sunny! Happy Augtober all.

That's precisely how it feels! Nothing unpleasant today, just, well, not August!

Enjoy it too, because this looks to be arguably one of - it not the - best days for the foreseeable until the warmer/drier shift lands towards mid August (if it does land, that is).

8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Down here we average about 5 days per year with 30c+ temps, mostly between June and August. To not get at least 1 or 2 days of 30c in a summer is very rare.  

Mid to late May can sometimes bang-out a 30c day or 2 in London as well! Or high 20s at least, which he obviously had none of in this year's May.

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

There’s also a lack of 25c sunny days in quite a few summers also

16 minutes ago, B87 said:

Yeah that’s quite normal even in a poor summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
8 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

That's precisely how it feels! Nothing unpleasant today, just, well, not August!

Enjoy it too, because this looks to be arguably one of - it not the - best days for the foreseeable until the warmer/drier shift lands towards mid August (if it does land, that is).

Mid to late May can sometimes bang-out a 30c day or 2 in London as well! Or high 20s at least, which he obviously had none of in this year's May.

We haven't seen 30c in May since 2005 (but 27-28c happens often). It is far more common in September.

1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

There’s also a lack of 25c sunny days in quite a few summers also

Yeah that’s quite normal even in a poor summer.

2011 saw 30c in June and August

2012 saw it in July and August.

2015 saw it in all 3 summer months.

All poor summers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Ridiculous innit.

Garden party planned for the 13th, and when it turned unsettled at the start of July I really hoped we’d have managed to turn settled after nearly 6/7 weeks!

• Like 2

Posted
11 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Not for me, personally.

October is one of the best months of the year…darkness encroaching, Halloween and bonfire night on the way. It’s one of those months that takes you back to your childhood. It’s nice for it to feel seasonal IMO. 

Whatever happened to those crisp, cold bonfire nights by the way?? I can remember a few ones where it was cold, misty and frosty…the bonfire would provide a warm feeling on your face to take the chill off. 

We used to get them and sometimes still do.

I remember even post 1987(shift to warming) we had a few in the 90s and early 2000s. Also the late 2000s provided cold late October and early November cold.

1992 and 93 were chilly, also think 2003 or 04 was chilly, and 2009 had some cold frosty days.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

We used to get them and sometimes still do.

I remember even post 1987(shift to warming) we had a few in the 90s and early 2000s. Also the late 2000s provided cold late October and early November cold.

1992 and 93 were chilly, also think 2003 or 04 was chilly, and 2009 had some cold frosty days.

Why 1987? It's just an arbitrary year. But, other than that wee bit of rabbit bisection, I agree. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

154hrs is absolutely dreadful for here. Still I’m sure we’ll have it wasn’t a bad month banded about by some.

Of course.

They also like to tell us how good the summers have been since 2012, which is completely baffling to me.

Only 2013, 14(minus August), 2018 and 22 can be classed a good summers since post 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

and there goes the blue sky, it's like nature has been watching over us each morning and when the blue sky appears, nature is like "no you don't" 😭

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Methuselah said:

Why 1987? It's just an arbitrary year. But, other than that wee bit of rabbit bisection, I agree. 

Because, since October 1987(great storm), and December 87, Europe has seen an increase in winter temperatures, with lower snowfalls, also warmer summers have become more common across larger areas of the world, more erratic weather patterns and so forth.

It started gradually in late 87.

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

Because, since October 1987(great storm), and December 87, Europe has seen an increase in winter temperatures, with lower snowfalls, also warmer summers have become more common across larger areas of the world, more erratic weather patterns and so forth.

It started gradually in late 87.

But what's one vigorous depression got to do with anything?

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

But what's one vigorous depression got to do with anything?

You’re not listening to me, so I’m not explaining. Go do some research.

• Like 1

Posted
36 minutes ago, Methuselah said:

My BBC app thingy has me down for 16C on Saturday. 🥶

Welcome to our world!

• Like 2

Posted

Rostherne, NW ended at 105.9 hrs of sunshine for July.. 

Feb 2019: image.thumb.png.ee8b716746c54e7b61c76c7bc1f81897.png 

July 2023: image.thumb.png.e8e90f3f63092cb6cc9bd77fe7326c8a.png  

To put it into context, it was 0.6hrs more than Feb 2019. April this year had more, 144hrs. June had 246hrs. 

Dullest July since 2020 which had a crazy figure of 95.3.. 

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Atmogenic said:

and there goes the blue sky, it's like nature has been watching over us each morning and when the blue sky appears, nature is like "no you don't" 😭

Madness, the utmost best we can manage is, what, 3/4 hours of semi-blue skies at a time. Woeful.

Its just cloud-front, after cloud-front, after cloud-front (interspersed with rain-fronts of course) with tiny bits of reprieve here and there. Relentless stuff, never seen the like of this in July (well, August now...and on it goes).

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

You’re not listening to me, so I’m not explaining. Go do some research.

No, you're right, I'm not! 👍

• Like 1