Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2023 chat

Posted
13 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Work life balance is always the key. 

Indeed it is. Work smarter not harder or longer. Put the hours in if needed, when they not bail at 2 or 3! 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MP-R said:

Must say I’ve never seen that ever. Even in hotter countries…

Come to Fuerteventura😁. In the eve, if it's windy, the locals (and Italian expats) will don padded jackets, even if it's still 22/23c. To them wind=jacket time😁

The wife and I are usually strolling down the main drag in summer gear; shorts and polo top for me, and a dress or skirt/blouse combo for the Boss😁.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Dear God. You sat in the garden in this ?

So did I lol, well not sit, but I was out looking at my flower beds, and pulled a couple of weeds between showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 minute ago, Bristle Si said:

Come to Fuerteventura😁. In the eve, if it's windy, the locals (and Italian expats) will don padded jackets, even if it's still 22/23c. To them wind=jacket time😁

The wife and I are usually strolling down the main drag in summer gear; shorts and polo top for me, and a dress or skirt/blouse combo for the Boss😁.

Oh yes I’ve seen it in the low twenties, but never at 30°C+.

When I lived in Madrid the coats came out at 20°C… they don’t do cold there either lol.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well, we did have a few drier slots. Like i said earlier it wasnt even stormy here; well, not by my definition anyway. 

This 'storm' was born of the softie times. "Ooh, take care risk averse of the UK; there's some wind and rain about today".

Edited by Bristle Si
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

Well, we did have a few drier slots. Like i said earlier it wasnt even stormy here; well, not by my definition anyway. 

This 'storm' was born of the softie times. "Ooh, take care risk averse of the UK; there's some wind and rain about today".

Sound. Enjoy!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
9 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Must say I’ve never seen that ever. Even in hotter countries…

I’ve seen people in Paris wearing jumpers and jackets when it’s been mid/high 20s, but that’s more of a fashion thing for them. Parisians don’t dress down for anything lol. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
9 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

You can definitely tell who are the locals and who are the tourists with the way someone is dressed by night there. 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Oh yes I’ve seen it in the low twenties, but never at 30°C+.

When I lived in Madrid the coats came out at 20°C… they don’t do cold there either lol.

My boss came over from Tampa in Florida in mid June when it was summer like. Didn’t once take his jumpers off and said each morning he enjoy the chilly mornings even though it was 20C plus. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

I’ve seen people in Paris wearing jumpers and jackets when it’s been mid/high 20s, but that’s more of a fashion thing for them. Parisians don’t dress down for anything lol. 

In Paris they will probably set fire to everything if they have to work 1 hour a week extra . And fair play. We should follow instead of being sycophantic dullards.

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It takes all sorts mate.

14 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Indeed it is. Work smarter not harder or longer. Put the hours in if needed, when they not bail at 2 or 3! 

I have work tomorrow, work most Sundays as well as my full time job, but it’s a zero hours situation. I will take a few weekends off during mid august until mid September.

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

In Paris they will probably set fire to everything if they have to work 1 hour a week extra . And fair play. We should follow instead of being sycophantic dullards.

Now, now. No politics😁

Posted
11 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

I was in Chicago in October 2010, and they were having a hot spell. It was 26-28c, and quite warm into the evenings, but the heat was quite dry. I was able to wear a light jacket in that. Maybe because it was by the lake.

Posted
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

My God, I thought Friday was supposed to be decent, Were forecast for 100% cloud cover now!!!!!!! Woeful, utterly woeful! Praying that forecast is bunk!!!

Told you I'm not a believer. I am also institutionalised by it. Cloud just is and always will be

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I just find it impossibly strange how someone can be perishingly cold on an 18c day in July or August yet not need heating on a 14c day in December.

Which person or persons do you speak of?

Posted
2 hours ago, Azazel said:

Heating is going on. It’s freezing out there 

I can't believe people are putting the heating on BEFORE me!!! I'm a 7 stone skinny minny and even I haven't put it on. Tbh it did cross my mind when I saw 21c on the thingy but I was like nope I'm getting under the blanket lol

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I actually had heating on from late September last year until early June this year. That shows you just how cold it’s been on and off, between the milder periods.

I think I did too actually!!

Posted
1 hour ago, SollyOlly said:

That's a good point, Azazel (and I'm not 'patronising' you, btw!). I can't be bothered to go through and point them out, but there are some here who do feel that anything below 30c+ for days on end "isn't summer". I'm old, I don't deny it, but for me an English summer's day is lovely sun and mid-20s. I do accept that the world has moved on, though...! 🙂

I want mid 20's!!! I'ld take that!! But we arent' even seeing that right now!

• Like 1

Posted

I don’t believe in having the heating turned off if I feel cold. 

I would go without food for a few days before I consider not using the heating.

Me too!!

Posted

I’ve been wearing a jacket or top over the t shirt during the past week or so.

I have a bra, vest, long sleeved top and then a wooley jumper on top

I enjoy my own company.

Introverts r uz

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

That's how desperate us Brits have become lolol

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Met. said:

Feels like a loooooooooooooong October this year with the morbidly intense overcast and frequent rain since early July going on and on without remitt. Not a complaint so much as an observation. Just doesn't seem like there's been a summer this year. Straight into Autumn after the two weeks of sun in June. Weird sensation. Bit like being a woodlouse hanging out under some soil or a rock.

By thr time we actually get to October, it would be a repeat of somthing like April 2020 or February 2019 or March 2012/2022 or something that will make this October juxtapose the awful March and July, and the meh April (possibly August too). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

Not had to put the heating on here. Even with the poor July it never got below 20c inside. Usually hovered between 20 and 23c. Obviously if the day was bright it was warmer inside.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

All hopes pinned on a considerably warmer and drier 2024. If it doesn't start getting warm in March and we have a repeat of this year, SSWs and bitterly cold eastern breezes ruining the weather up into late May, it'll really struggle to make up for this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1