Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Spring 2023 - Moans, Ramps & Chat

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
26 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

Now you know how we feel... vivid memories of May last year when the SE was having clear blue skies and 25C while we were stuck with drizzle and 18...

We only had a handful of proper sunny days last May, was pretty dull overall. Here's hoping for a May similar to 2020 this year lol.

Posted

This April hasn’t been that good. It’s been bloody cold.

The last few days have been a mixed bag, and my partner now has a head cold from river walk we did on Tuesday. It was our rotten luck we had a cold wind.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Well since Scotland is now in the Southern half of the UK I'd expect no less! Amazing to think that it costs more to travel to Scotland than it does to Southern Spain. If it were cheaper, I'd have spent a few days in Scotland today and tomorrow as I'm off work for a few days.

We had the cloud roll in at 9am sharp. Worst area of the UK today, as was the case Tuesday lol.

We have patchy cloud down here. 

1 hour ago, danm said:

Not too surprising given we are under an easterly. 

And soon a trough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
47 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

13c, clear blue skies, but a nagging cold breeze.

The back garden

Could contain: Backyard, Nature, Outdoors, Yard, Garden, Chair, Plant, Vegetation, Grass, Interior Design

My tree, and next doors plus all the ones down the street are only just starting to get leaves now lol, everything's already green by you tree wise it looks like.

Edited by alexisj9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Had some unexpected haar this morning but I think we're in the clear now.

27 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

This April hasn’t been that good. It’s been bloody cold.

People forget that April's in the colder half of the year. How often is April truly warm?

6 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

My tree, and next doors plus all the ones down the street are only just starting to get leaves now lol, everything's already green by you tree wise it looks like.

Same situation here. The leaves are just starting to come out. The hardy gorse has been flowering for a while now -- even saw some flowering in late January, though I suspect that was due to an abundance of sunshine (70% above average).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

looks like rain is heading its way towards the southeast, fantastic...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
13 hours ago, al78 said:

Desperation. I WILL sit outside and enjoy the sun because IT'S SPRING FOR GODS SAKE!

There were probably people having barbeques in some of the worst of May-July 2012.

It's damned raw in the wind today! 🥶

Posted
39 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Actually, only got going about a week ago, but it's been quick over last few days.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
On 18/04/2023 at 10:59, alexisj9 said:

It's not late at all, it's happened when it wanted to, 

I think a sense of humour is missing 🤣

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

4th day in a row with clear blue skies and bright sunshine, the breeze is a bit chilly but it is still April, if u can shelter from the breeze its glorious out, 😎

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Relativistic said:

Had some unexpected haar this morning but I think we're in the clear now.

People forget that April's in the colder half of the year. How often is April truly warm?

Same situation here. The leaves are just starting to come out. The hardy gorse has been flowering for a while now -- even saw some flowering in late January, though I suspect that was due to an abundance of sunshine (70% above average).

April is normally a month of contrasts with the UK temperature being very sensitive to slight changes in wind direction compared to other months. Usually we take a few days of highs of 8-10C and then a few days with highs of 18-20C to average out at 14C or so but this month it's been every day being almost exactly average. As we haven't had any of those warm days it's felt like a cold month even though its technically been average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

April is normally a month of contrasts with the UK temperature being very sensitive to slight changes in wind direction compared to other months. Usually we take a few days of highs of 8-10C and then a few days with highs of 18-20C to average out at 14C or so but this month it's been every day being almost exactly average. As we haven't had any of those warm days it's felt like a cold month even though its technically been average.

Yep, without looking at the stats, I'd take a guess and say April is probably the month that can give us the most extremes. You can conceivably get temperatures up to the mid to high 20's as well as daytime temperatures in the low single digits. You can get shorts and t-shirt weather as well as snow.

The Arctic is still cold enough to pack a real punch when winds turn northerly, sea surface temperatures are at their coldest at this time of year, so cold snaps are not unusual. But the European continent also starts to rapidly warm up so any waft from the south/south east can lead to temperatures rocketing. 

April is a temperamental, schizophrenic month. 

• Like 6

Posted

A lot of cloud has appeared from somewhere in the past hour but still mostly sunny. That wind is really stopping it warming up, still only 13C.

April for me is a transitional cold/warm season month that tends to mix elements of both. As someone else said some days in single figures and others getting to at least 18C (often 20+) is "normal" April weather. So is it feeling cold by night and warm by day. This year it just seems to have got totally stuck temperature-wise ever since the end of the cold spell in mid-March. A month of almost constant 10-14C maxima, with a couple of days just hitting 15 (no 16 yet) and a couple at 8-9. No big swings from warm to cold and no clear warming trend. It does now feel like a cold spring so far, at least by day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

An unexpectedly totally glorious week so far. This is the spring I know!! 😄

Yes the breeze is quite chilly by the sea but it's April after all, find a sheltered spot and it's beautiful. Not so warm today at only 14c but earlier this week we had 18c which was amazing. And things look to be getting warmer around a week from now (not tempting fate again of course). Feeling a lot more optimistic about the weather now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
24 minutes ago, Azazel said:

A lovely sunny day today if not a bit windy.

I have had the wildest 24 hours of my life.

Early yesterday morning, my dearest father passed away after a 12 year battle with cancer. No sooner had I gotten home, my partner went into Labour and gave birth to my son before the day was out. I lost a father and became a father on the same day. Still doesn’t feel real. I will feel excited and buzzing on adrenaline and then the next minute burst into tears and absolutely ache for my dad 😔.

Sorry if this is well off topic I just needed somewhere to write it down ❤️

Just saw this, I can't even imagine... congratulations on becoming a dad but it must feel so bittersweet 💔 rest in peace to your father. Hope you are okay, wishing you all the best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Yeah while we didn't get the warm spell we were promised by the met office at least the worst case drizzlefests were avoided.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
29 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Early yesterday morning, my dearest father passed away after a 12 year battle with cancer. No sooner had I gotten home, my partner went into Labour and gave birth to my son before the day was out. I lost a father and became a father on the same day. Still doesn’t feel real. I will feel excited and buzzing on adrenaline and then the next minute burst into tears and absolutely ache for my dad 😔.

That’s a day that you’ll never forget. My condolences for your loss but congratulations on the birth of your son

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It's remained sunny far longer than I thought it would today. Still clear blue skies, although that rain from the east should arrive by rush hour. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Better weather here today, of course it rained like every other day in the last gazillion, but it was first thing and since then there have been sunny spells allowing temperatures to reach 14°C. Shame about the howling wind but I guess you can’t have everything 

Posted
2 hours ago, Methuselah said:

It's damned raw in the wind today! 🥶

It’s nice and sunny where I am in west London, but that’s only if you are in the sun. In the shade it’s still very cold.

The air is fresh and humidity is low though, so that’s one good thing. Would be nice if we reached 20-21c with the same conditions, and it would feel pleasantly warm.

37 minutes ago, Azazel said:

My condolences for your father.

Congratulations on your new born.

It must be a time of very mixed emotions. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Another tremendous day here. High of 16 tomorrow with some patchy cloud in the afternoon forecast and 30% chance light rain Saturday morning, but cooler next week and a little precipitation about, not much though. No low pressure crosses over after weekend to the end of the month, just the odd week front from a pretty stationary low out west, high to the north more or less. Typical April for here.

Could contain: Grass, Garden, Nature, Outdoors, Tree, Vegetation, Shelter, Summer, Villa, Backyard

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

It’s been a nice day today, spent a while this anfternoon sat in the garden and I was finally able to go for a walk without a coat on for the first time this year. Shame it was a one day wonder though with drab conditions returning again from tomorrow. Could even need the winter coat again.