Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 20th March 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

4 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I suspect thst would be a bit too far north given the gravity wave comes from the convergence line so you want to be really close to that but not on it. You'll then have a good view to your south and hopefully storms around you so you can make a decision on where you chase for better views.

Ok thank you. I've been chasing for years but have very limited meteorological knowledge. I tend to rely on others for that part 😂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

lots of energy 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wake me up when the storms arrive

Hmmm. Thanks Nick Finnis for the forecast. A bit disappointing for the Reigate Local High Pressure zone, here.  Enjoy the storms, those of you who get them! 👍

Posted
1 hour ago, Eagle Eye said:

I suspect thst would be a bit too far north given the gravity wave comes from the convergence line so you want to be really close to that but not on it. You'll then have a good view to your south and hopefully storms around you so you can make a decision on where you chase for better views.

If I was chasing and not working I'd be staying put here and seeing what pans out.  Good links all directions from this area (M18/M1/m180/m62) so fairly easy to move.

If anyone does head this way plan around avoiding the A1 north of Doncaster, horrendous roadworks will kill you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
38 minutes ago, AndyFromDonny said:

If anyone does head this way plan around avoiding the A1 north of Doncaster, horrendous roadworks will kill you.

I'm in Doncaster now, thanks for this.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
1 hour ago, Supacell said:

Ok thank you. I've been chasing for years but have very limited meteorological knowledge. I tend to rely on others for that part 😂

Well , now only a few hours before ramping up is likely to occur and here's the setup and my thoughts in case you wanted them

We have a convergence line from Bristol up to just north of Norwich. The shortwave trough across the east has forced a bouyancy maximum near Peterborough and a strong storm. The gravity wave forced from the convergence line has met the occluded front and is forced up right behind it but those will weaken over the next few hours. Behind it which I havent circled and it's left an open sector of which Lincolnshire is a part of. A good storm forming behind the Peterborough one on the convergence line will force gravity wave action into that open sector and storms form.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Plant, Vegetation

The latest AROME shows this perfectly. The thing is that going to the Humber is a possibility, it's on the back of the occluded front and has good CAPE values with a renewed pulse of storms later but I'd prefer to be close enough to the already formed convergence line in case of a bust and also have quite a good chance of storms myself. Plus Lincolnshire tends to have better views and always seems to be a hotspot.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Decent convection building to my north. Just had a heavy shower overhead while radar shows almost nothing in the last update so things are building quick already with an unstable atmosphere. 

Feels almost tropical with a dewpoint of 12.7°C.

Could contain: Architecture, Building, House, Housing, Roof, Neighborhood, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Sky

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
19 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Heres another after

20230505_120430.thumb.jpg.7f6071b3be8ebf8426071ff14c978de9.jpg

Edited by Robbie Garrett
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Some pretty heavy showers over London now 

Could contain: City, Metropolis, Urban, Neighborhood, High Rise, Condo, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Apartment Building

Could contain: City, Urban, Metropolis, Neighborhood, High Rise, Cloud, Sky, Condo, Apartment Building, Office Building

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Small rain shower just as I was leaving Shooters Hill about midday. I'm in Welling now, roads are dry round here, skies look pretty nice but no sparks or rumbles. Looks like all the action is once again missing me, even though we are actually getting cells pass over. Just doesn't seem to be any trigger around here this year.

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram, White Board

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Architecture, Building, Housing, House

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Cloud, Cumulus

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Cloud, Cumulus, Building, Housing, Roof, Bird

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Architecture, Building, Housing, Person

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Animal, Bird

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning
5 minutes ago, Scuba steve said:

Some pretty heavy showers over London now 

Could contain: City, Metropolis, Urban, Neighborhood, High Rise, Condo, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Apartment Building

Could contain: City, Urban, Metropolis, Neighborhood, High Rise, Cloud, Sky, Condo, Apartment Building, Office Building

I've gotten 5 rumbles out of this bad boy so far 

• Like 2

Posted

First post of the year after a fairly disappointing start. Apart from one rumble in April I’ve seen or heard nothing.

Today’s storms over London look very impressive and I can hear thunder from home in Bexley. Getting very good height on these Cbs but unfortunately the line is just a few miles too far to my N and W for any lightning or to get proper enjoyment.

This current storm is developing an impressive anvil 

Could contain: Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Weather, Sky, Housing, House, Roof, Cumulus, Hut

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Plant, Tree, Fir

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Flare, Light, Sunlight

Edited by Harry
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Looking towards Essex

Could contain: Field, Nature, Outdoors, Cloud, Cumulus, Sky, Weather, Person, Grassland, Grass

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Electronics

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looking for the cells down to the SW, coming up the M5 into our area

Plenty of Juice awaiting them in Brum🤞

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Architecture, Building

• Like 2

Posted

@Eagle Eye Thanks. Already committed to the storms that will hopefully develop further north now though. Currently near to Snaith and looking south it appears clouds are building.

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Reservoir, Water, Scenery, Sky, Lake, Pond

Arome is showing some intense precipitation around here from around mid afternoon. Going to have a picnic in the sun and then see how it looks.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
13 minutes ago, Harry said:

First post of the year after a fairly disappointing start. Apart from one rumble in April I’ve seen or heard nothing.

Today’s storms over London look very impressive and I can hear thunder from home in Bexley. Getting very good height on these Cbs but unfortunately the line is just a few miles too far to my N and W for any lightning or to get proper enjoyment.

This current storm is developing an impressive anvil 

Could contain: Outdoors, Shelter, Nature, Weather, Sky, Housing, House, Roof, Cumulus, Hut

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Plant, Tree, Fir

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Flare, Light, Sunlight

Hey buddy. Weird, I'm closer to the storms than you but I haven't heard anything? What time did you hear the rumbles? I might have been driving at the time. I've got the window open here just to hear anything distant! I'm desperate now after having missed out on all the action bar one flash and bang a couple of months ago.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Thunder here in Cambourne, Cambridge.

Could contain: Neighborhood, Suburb, Outdoors, Shelter, Car, Lamp, Housing, House, Nature, Person

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 5

Posted

Oh look the sun's just come out! 😡 God, this can be a very frustrating hobby!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Quiet here today in Coventry. Had a heavy shower earlier but that's it. Hope for some thundery activity later @Metwatch we in for a chance around 3/4 ish? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

A lot of lovely convection around, including some rather tasty skies currently surrounding Welshpool. 

It’ll probably be typical though if a thundery downpour or something happens back at home in Birmingham/Coventry when out and about 😅 (but to be fair, the skies again do like quite interesting here). 

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Azure Sky, Architecture, Building, Housing

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Cloud, Cumulus, Weather, Azure Sky, Utility Pole

Could contain: Neighborhood, Road, Car, City, Street, Tarmac, Housing, Suburb, House, Plant

Could contain: Road, Nature, Outdoors, Weather, Cumulus, Sky, Freeway, Tarmac, Highway, Car

Could contain: Cloud, Cumulus, Nature, Outdoors, Sky, Weather, Car, Utility Pole, Neighborhood, Road Sign

• Like 4