Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - 20th March 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Can't see much happening here later, sea mist has potentially spoilt it. Seems we can only rely on plumes down here with storms in the middle of the night only which is very inconvenient!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter
6 minutes ago, Southern Storm said:

Hopefully we'll have plenty of French imports before the season is out! 

I took a gamble and Parked not far from Shaftesbury as it looked like it would be a decent spot for the storms pushing out of the far southwest, it turned out to be the wrong call.. 

Apart from a couple of rumbles and some very distant lightning, it's been very underwhelming. 

However I've learned a decent amount when it comes to filming with the drone, using  ND filters, hopefully that will pay off later in the season 🤞

Good luck for Eastern areas this evening, looking forward to see lots of great footage.

The high ground around Shaftesbury can make for some great viewing points if you get it right.

Yes hoping for lots of plumes this summer, having prime position right by the waterfront!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Summer weather
39 minutes ago, RebsAbbo said:

Just got home having driven through heavy rain showers, & we have thunder here!!! No lightening see though & feels like it could be just passing by….

Just seen a pileus cloud atop one of the cells heading into York, indicating a strong updraft, so I guess there's still hope for some of Yorkshire! I'm 30 miles away but guessing it's the cell over boroughbridge.

Edit: on second thought I don't think it is one of those cells as I wouldn't expect to see it so clearly from so far away, so hopefully there might be something brewing up  closer...

Edited by Thomas Dicken
just changed my mind on where some cells might be

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
5 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Can't see much happening here later, sea mist has potentially spoilt it. Seems we can only rely on plumes down here with storms in the middle of the night only which is very inconvenient!

yeah even here in east sussex, sea mist has rolled onshore 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Bad luck most of the country has them. Hasn't stopped in herts since about 3pm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
1 minute ago, biddie said:

Yes ... got areas in the garden underwater that i havent seen underwater before...herts has been one of the hot spots....

• Thanks 1

Posted

A quick question. Here in Bedford we seem to have storms start then the lightning and thunder stops fairly quickly. This had happened in the past few years? Any reason why? Bedford is obviously by the Ouse etc does this have any bearing whatsoever? Just curious 🧐 

Posted

no rain or thunder at all today here...probably the only place in England that has happened

it really is incredible the bad luck we have. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Raindrops said:

Areas of interest in red, sorry for the bad editing skills.

Worth keeping an eye on, probably for rainfall amounts.

Could contain: Land, Nature, Outdoors, Sea, Water, Coast, Peninsula, Shoreline, Rainforest, Vegetation

Apparnetly only 4.8mm here so far. That must be off though as it's mental out there and that station is to the South of Winchester and i'm in the north.

I stopped this post mid post as it all went mental here! Lots of water floods. I have tons of footage to go through and post! Our patio is under 3 inches of water. End of the road flooded and flooding peoples houses. Mental!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
14 minutes ago, biddie said:

It's the price we pay for living by the sea.

Posted

I'm trapped in the car outside my house in Chelmsford as the rain is too heavy to get out.

Incredible rainfall and pyrotechnics. Hail in the mix. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Yes ... got areas in the garden underwater that i havent seen underwater before...herts has been one of the hot spots....

My patio is flooded. Will upload pics/vids later tonight as I need to feed kids, get in bed etc!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sun, storms & ‘Oh no can’t go into work - snowed in’ days
22 minutes ago, Thomas Dicken said:

Just seen a pileus cloud atop one of the cells heading into York, indicating a strong updraft, so I guess there's still hope for some of Yorkshire! I'm 30 miles away but guessing it's the cell over boroughbridge.

Edit: on second thought I don't think it is one of those cells as I wouldn't expect to see it so clearly from so far away, so hopefully there might be something brewing up  closer...

Didn’t amount to much after all, about 3 rumbles of thunder. It was sitting inland/sw & seems to have dissipated as it moved across to the south of us. Ah well, better luck next time.

• Like 1

Posted

No storms here so far, but just loads of high clouds on the horizon, and a dark moody cloud towards the west.

Still feels humid, so maybe a storm hits us later. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and severe weather events.
1 hour ago, Metwatch said:

Incredibly close lightning from an overhead thunderstorm in Warwickshire about an hour ago, closest I've seen in my life.

Apologies for the excitement there. 😂

That is absolutely nuts great capture,was very close too!! Fair play!

• Like 1

Posted

Wednesday and Thursday looks like almost anywhere could get a few thundery showers during the afternoon and evening. Lots of popcorn type showers scattered around. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
2 hours ago, Metwatch said:

Incredibly close lightning from an overhead thunderstorm in Warwickshire about an hour ago, closest I've seen in my life.

Apologies for the excitement there. 😂

Yes...brilliant capture...had a few of those earlier...still reeling from this afternoons action...will try to upload examples later...downside my garden flowers look decidely worse for ware...they do not take kindly to being battered by hailstones ..not once but many times this afternoon...

• Like 1

Posted

Pretty good display here in the end! Saw a good few forks and flashes with lots and lots of thunder.

Going by the past few years that’s probably it for here until October.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

And to finish off, some screen grabs of lightning from both the very close strike and one further away a few minutes beforehand. 

A day I'll remember for the rest of my life. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Lightning, Thunderstorm

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Lightning, Storm, Thunderstorm, Sky, Weather

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Lightning, Thunderstorm

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Storm, Lightning, Thunderstorm, Weather

I'll bet...it just left me stunned...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

Worth staying up tonight?