Posted
2 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

Maximum temperatures in 1993:

Shawbury 24.9

Shobdon 24.8 

Hawarden 24.8

Crosby 25.0

Birmingham 25.5

That really was a dreadful summer for heat, though it was not as dull and wet as several of the 2007-2012 bunch. It also had round here the earliest last-20C day in the past 50 years (1st September). 

I know I'll get slack for this, but that's my type of summer 😄..Cool and dry, honestly perfect. 

1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

I rated 1993 the worse summer warmth wise here in Cumbria and these stats back it up. To not record 25 degrees in summer nowadays almost unthinkable. June to November 93 was persistantly well below average. Not had many such sustained cold periods since, Feb to May 96, Jan to June 13, probably only comparable ones.

Most recent cool period probably December 2020 - May 2021..notably Apr-May 2021, two of the coldest pair of spring months I've ever experienced. Since then it's been predominately mild, much so in 2022. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

I rated 1993 the worse summer warmth wise here in Cumbria and these stats back it up. To not record 25 degrees in summer nowadays almost unthinkable. June to November 93 was persistantly well below average. Not had many such sustained cold periods since, Feb to May 96, Jan to June 13, probably only comparable ones.

1993 may indeed have been cool but it was not a bad Summer and certainly would not class it as poor.I would take that Summer over many of the dire ones we have had to endure between 2007 and 2012 and a few others since also,a good summer is not all about high temps.

Posted
1 hour ago, Frigid said:

I know I'll get slack for this, but that's my type of summer 😄..Cool and dry, honestly perfect. 

Most recent cool period probably December 2020 - May 2021..notably Apr-May 2021, two of the coldest pair of spring months I've ever experienced. Since then it's been predominately mild, much so in 2022. 

Yeah those early months of 2021 were cold. April was very cold and May felt like a winter month, especially during the first half. Cold windy and grey. 

44 minutes ago, hillbilly said:

1993 may indeed have been cool but it was not a bad Summer and certainly would not class it as poor.I would take that Summer over many of the dire ones we have had to endure between 2007 and 2012 and a few others since also,a good summer is not all about high temps.

1993 was better than 2021 in my opinion. We had more sunshine, despite cooler temps. 

Posted
1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

Yes hence reference to warmth wise. I agree we've had worse summers on the lack of sun, and large rainfall front, 1997, 98, 07, 08, 12 were notably wet, 2017 and 2020 not much better excluding June. Years ending in 7 have been notably poor.. other than 1947.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Yes hence reference to warmth wise. I agree we've had worse summers on the lack of sun, and large rainfall front, 1997, 98, 07, 08, 12 were notably wet, 2017 and 2020 not much better excluding June.

Yeah, I would class poor summers as wet and lacking in sunshine. Temps can be on the low side, but if it’s sunny it’s not too bad.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I believe Cardiff breached 23C yesterday. 

Posted

Will we see 25 degrees before the month is out? Came very close today 24.4 degrees. Scotland may well see 25 on Wednesday, England could well have to wait until June which I think equates to latest 25 degrees has occured since 1993. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Will we see 25 degrees before the month is out? Came very close today 24.4 degrees. Scotland may well see 25 on Wednesday, England could well have to wait until June which I think equates to latest 25 degrees has occured since 1993. 

Post 5 suggests that 2021 and 2013 hit their mark on the 31st and 6th.

Though I do believe we are currently in third since the 1990's.

Posted
22 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

No 25 before June. No chance when we have an Easterly gale blowing

Yeah, 22c is the warmest it’s been in London so far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Hearing 25c has finally been reached at Porthmadog! It finally happened. Very late this year like in 2021. Hopefully our last 25c will be later than 12th September this year

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

Hearing 25c has finally been reached at Porthmadog! It finally happened. Very late this year like in 2021. Hopefully our last 25c will be later than 12th September this year

Nice!  First 25c of the year courtesy of a west wales foehn effect - which will have raised the likes of Porthmadog 2 or 3c above areas the other side of the Welsh hills.  Wall to wall sunshine and dry soil from 2 to 3 weeks with very low humidity and a steady breeze will have helped too.  

Very interesting to me when Keswick, Tulloch Bridge and Porthmadog are top of the temperature pops!

Edited by Maz
  • Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Maz said:

Nice!  First 25c of the year courtesy of a west wales foehn effect - which will have raised the likes of Porthmadog 2 or 3c above areas the other side of the Welsh hills.  Wall to wall sunshine and dry soil from 2 to 3 weeks with very low humidity and a steady breeze will have helped too.  

Very interesting to me when Keswick, Tulloch Bridge and Porthmadog are top of the temperature pops!

Yes very odd, usually stations you see in the coldest or wettest category.

Lost count the amount of times we see these conditions in late Spring, very normal.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
On 21/03/2023 at 01:32, Metwatch said:

First 20c - April 7th

First 25c - April 19th

First 30c - May 24th

Only 41 days out... 

• Like 1

Posted

Third position for recent decades.

Posted
10 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes very odd, usually stations you see in the coldest or wettest category.

Keswick is definitely the warmest station in your area being sheltered and relatively low lying. It seems to record much higher temperatures than other stations nearby.

Posted
10 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Keswick is definitely the warmest station in your area being sheltered and relatively low lying. It seems to record much higher temperatures than other stations nearby.

Yes its in a wide bowl, surrounded and sheltered by high ground. There is no official station here, there is a local one in Ambleside. We don't have the same aspect, no foehn affect and a bit too close to Morecambe Bay to experience highest temps. 

• Like 1