First 20 and 25 degrees temps - Spring 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Highest temps in recent Aprils for Leeds: 

2022: 21.2C

2021: 19.2C

2020: 22.3C

2019: 24.4C

2018: 27.4C (especially amazing after the very cold & snowy March)

2017: 22.1C

2016: 16.9C

2015: 20.8C

Reaching 20C in April is normal & excepted here, but the odd year fails to do so. We could reach 20C next week but we’ll see. 

20C in March seems like it’s becoming more common too. It reached 20.8C in March 2022 & 22.3C in March 2021.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
14 hours ago, cheese said:

Reaching 20C in April is normal & excepted here, but the odd year fails to do so. We could reach 20C next week but we’ll see. 

20C in March seems like it’s becoming more common too. It reached 20.8C in March 2022 & 22.3C in March 2021.

I still remember being amazed on 18th April 2018 that it was 25c while exactly a month before it had been snowing

• Like 1

Posted
18 hours ago, cheese said:

Yeah, but 10-13c in May is something that seems to be happening more frequently also. 

4 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

I still remember being amazed on 18th April 2018 that it was 25c while exactly a month before it had been snowing

It was actually still quite chilly in my area during the first half of April. I remember it barely scraping 10-12c in London on some days.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
4 hours ago, plymsunshine said:

Had a few warm days in April into the low 20s here in 2018 but there was also a chunk of below average chilly ones which failed to get out of single figures. May though was better. The bank holiday early in the month was particularly good, I remember loads of people sat out enjoying their drinks at pubs and also the Royal wedding was a nice day, sunny and into the 20s. I think this set the scene really for the long summer ahead.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Dark Horse said:

Had a few warm days in April into the low 20s here in 2018 but there was also a chunk of below average chilly ones which failed to get out of single figures. May though was better. The bank holiday early in the month was particularly good, I remember loads of people sat out enjoying their drinks at pubs and also the Royal wedding was a nice day, sunny and into the 20s. I think this set the scene really for the long summer ahead.

2018 was just delightful and I would say it was better than 2020, despite 2020 having a long sunny spring period from late March until early June, almost uninterrupted.

However, the May-July period of 2018 beats 2020 hands down for me, as it fell within the warmer period of the year, with peak daylight hours.

• Like 4

Posted
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

2018 was just delightful and I would say it was better than 2020, despite 2020 having a long sunny spring period from late March until early June, almost uninterrupted.

However, the May-July period of 2018 beats 2020 hands down for me, as it fell within the warmer period of the year, with peak daylight hours.

2018 was far better given the state affairs in 2020 - the anxiety of 2020 scarred everything.

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

2018 was far better given the state affairs in 2020 - the anxiety of 2020 scarred everything.

Yeah, but I’m talking more about the weather in general. 

Yes, the uncertainty around covid did make that spring and summer a strange period.

It felt like an empty desert during those early lockdown periods, with weeks of sunshine while most things were closed down completely. A very weird feeling to everything. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
2 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

That period of 2018 demonstrated the power of the weather to me - I lost 2 stone just because I felt so much more motivated to be outside walking every day. It all went back on the following winter of course!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
On 11/04/2023 at 13:56, Metwatch said:

Quite a few locations on Met Office site showing 20°C and 21°C now from Sunday.  

Not sure we'll see 20°C on Sunday if there's quite a bit of cloud, and the warmer airmass not fully arriving by that point, but from Monday and Tuesday if more sunshine, then a much better chance. 

Could contain: Text, Symbol, Number

Not convinced on this, with early next week looking less warm now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 20/03/2023 at 21:58, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I had and still have a feeling that our first 20°C day will be late this year. I am going for 30th April with a few warmish days (late teens) leading up to it. 

A couple of days ago it looked like our first 20°C day would be hapening next week. But since the upcoming warmish spell has been watered down somewhat, I am sticking to my original prediction of 30th April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

Looking like somewhere in the North of Scotland might be the first past the post for 20C this year maybe Monday or Tuesday. I often find it's the areas you wouldn't expect that fare like this in spring. BBC has 19C and sunny forecast for both days for Inverness. Metoffice only saying 17C. Still all to play for . . .

Posted
On 11/04/2023 at 23:56, cheese said:

Believe it or not, from 1980-2006 we only reached 20C here (no higher than 22.7C) on 13 days before 1st May.

Since then it has happened 21 times and two of those days were 24.0C and 26.1C.

On average we hit the first 20C in April and May about half the time each.

Its definitely becoming more common though.

• Like 2

Posted

As I thought a few days ago, Ireland probably would hit 20c before the UK and they indeed did. Next week it's possible for UK.

Could contain: Page, Text, Chart, Plot

• Like 2

Posted

Mmm most of England might now struggle to make even 18 degrees this week, indeed 15's and 16s could be the maxima for many... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I'm gonna revise my prediction and go for first 20 degrees being May 16th....2024

Lol

• Thanks 1

Posted

That's our first 20C, 2 days before my 25c prediction of 19th April.

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 4

Posted
5 hours ago, SunSean said:

I'm gonna revise my prediction and go for first 20 degrees being May 16th....2024

Lol

Sick if your right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
5 hours ago, Metwatch said:

That's our first 20C, 2 days before my 25c prediction of 19th April.

Crazy stuff, the far north-west of Scotland! 

This is a bit reminiscent of the early summer of 2021, which saw an inverse of the stereotypical "North v South weather divide", wherein North-West England and Scotland had some great runs of clear, warm weather whilst the South wallowed in endless cloud and dullness.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 hours ago, Frigid said:

Now, the first 20C in England.. looks to be a while for that to happen. 

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if these mild temps across England persist well into May (perhaps bumped up by a single degree C or so, and a less chilly wind), and we'll hit June and the obligatory "Saharan Plume" will appear overnight and blast us into a 4/5 days of 32c, then it'll disappear as promptly as it came, and we'll slide back down into 17c and overcast. 😝

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if these mild temps across England persist well into May (perhaps bumped up by a single degree C or so, and a less chilly wind), and we'll hit June and the obligatory "Saharan Plume" will appear overnight and blast us into a 4/5 days of 32c, then it'll disappear as promptly as it came, and we'll slide back down into 17c and overcast. 😝

With a severe thunderstorm event in late May👍

Posted
3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Too damn true. A comfy 24/25c is as rare as snow these days 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

20c: 4th May

25c: 15th May

30c: 13th June (it's about time)

35c: 18th July

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
On 13/04/2023 at 14:09, reef said:

Believe it or not, from 1980-2006 we only reached 20C here (no higher than 22.7C) on 13 days before 1st May.

Since then it has happened 21 times and two of those days were 24.0C and 26.1C.

On average we hit the first 20C in April and May about half the time each.

Its definitely becoming more common though.

Yeah, I suspect reaching 20C in April was the exception rather than the rule here in the 20th century. Much like reaching 90F was a rare occurrence here but has become an almost annual occurrence since 2015. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Did England breach 20C, I believe Scotland hit it.