Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

First 20 and 25 degrees temps - Spring 2023

Posted
1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Those bemoaning no 20 degrees yet. there have been whole Junes and even Julys here when 20 degrees wasn't recorded once!

I don’t really care if some areas have had to endure no 20c days in June and July in some past years. That doesn’t mean we should have to wait until then for temperature we should be experiencing now, especially in the south of the country. 

It’s baffling how some folk on here will try and justify the continuing cool and cold weather. 

Come July, if we are barely scraping 21-22c and it’s cloudy and miserable, some people will be yet again claiming ‘well this is the average for summer’ The average doesn’t necessarily mean sunny warm and pleasant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!
On 12/04/2023 at 22:41, RainAllNight said:

That period of 2018 demonstrated the power of the weather to me - I lost 2 stone just because I felt so much more motivated to be outside walking every day. It all went back on the following winter of course!

It must be part of the reason why those living in Mediterranean climates are often healthier.  

Posted
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t really care if some areas have had to endure no 20c days in June and July in some past years. That doesn’t mean we should have to wait until then for temperature we should be experiencing now, especially in the south of the country. 

It’s baffling how some folk on here will try and justify the continuing cool and cold weather. 

Come July, if we are barely scraping 21-22c and it’s cloudy and miserable, some people will be yet again claiming ‘well this is the average for summer’ The average doesn’t necessarily mean sunny warm and pleasant.

Fair enough, I just wanted to illustrate how variable our weather often is. Granted in recent years, 20 degrees has on average been recorded in most of England by the end of April, but this should not mean it is now to be expected, exceptions will occur.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Earthshine said:

It must be part of the reason why those living in Mediterranean climates are often healthier.  

Or people living in warmer climates in general. People exercise more in warmer regions.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

England may finally see 20c over the bank holiday weekend, possibly before April is out - I'll go with 20.7c on 30th April. 25c seems impossible to ever achieve in this spring 😭

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
17 minutes ago, plymsunshine said:

England may finally see 20c over the bank holiday weekend, possibly before April is out - I'll go with 20.7c on 30th April. 25c seems impossible to ever achieve in this spring 😭

I personally don't care about any other location's temperature.

But 20°C is looking unlikely here.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

It says something about the quirkiness of this spring that the only place that has recorded 20C so far is in the north of Scotland. How frequently do we get to the end of April with the highest temperature recorded in the Scottish highlands?

Just looked at the Horsham forecast on the Met Office website. After a nice sunny day tomorrow sunshine rationing in progress until at least the weekend, and even then only the occasional sunny interval. What a waste of a post 8pm sunset if we are going to get continuous heavy overcast, it will make it feel like twilight around 6pm.

• Like 2

Posted
30 minutes ago, al78 said:

It says something about the quirkiness of this spring that the only place that has recorded 20C so far is in the north of Scotland. How frequently do we get to the end of April with the highest temperature recorded in the Scottish highlands?

Just looked at the Horsham forecast on the Met Office website. After a nice sunny day tomorrow sunshine rationing in progress until at least the weekend, and even then only the occasional sunny interval. What a waste of a post 8pm sunset if we are going to get continuous heavy overcast, it will make it feel like twilight around 6pm.

All due to the foehn affect, same thing happens Moray Firth in January when high teens can easily occur, whilst much of England struggles to get into the teens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
2 hours ago, al78 said:

As damianslaw's pointed out, this is due to the Foehn effect. It's not as uncommon as you might think for the highlands to record some of the warmest/hottest temperatures in Spring (often Winter too). Many date records for high temperatures in the first half of the calendar year were set at Scottish stations.

Posted

BBC saying its the latest a temp of more than 18 degrees has been recorded in England and Wales since 1986.

Saturday could well deliver the first 20 degrees. 

• Insightful 1

Posted
On 24/04/2023 at 22:59, al78 said:

I'd take met office cloud forecasts with salt. They are very biased towards forecasting cloud. Their forecasting is that bad in this respect, I've stopped using their service altogether. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
41 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

BBC saying its the latest a temp of more than 18 degrees has been recorded in England and Wales since 1986.

Saturday could well deliver the first 20 degrees. 

Interesting. Know what the date was in 1986? Surprised 2013 had managed it by now, though I recall some warmer weather in mid-April.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Interesting. Know what the date was in 1986? Surprised 2013 had managed it by now, though I recall some warmer weather in mid-April.

Not sure but March and April were consistently cold, no surprise failed to deliver at this juncture. Suspect by mid May. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I thought it was 2006.

Posted

If you thought 1986 was late, I understand latest on record was 25 May in 1983. Weymouth 20.3 degrees. What a shocker spring 1983 was then. 1996 despite bringing 20 degrees in April, failed to bring 20 degrees in May until 29 May. May 96 was terrible for warmth.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
41 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

20c hit for the first time this year with 20.2c in Pershore

Took it's time, but April has done it, just.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 20/03/2023 at 21:58, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I had and still have a feeling that our first 20°C day will be late this year. I am going for 30th April with a few warmish days (late teens) leading up to it. There will then be a warm spell at some point in May (more often than not there is). I am going for 21st May for our first 25°C day. 

Discounting Scotland, it looks like I was only a day off with my prediction. 😁

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Still haven’t managed it in London. 

Still not in my neck of the woods yet either. It does seem that the north has been having the best of the spring weather just lately.

Though we did manage to get up to 19 Celsius yesterday, which for late April is decent enough.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
13 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Still haven’t managed it in London. 

It feels like we won't any time soon either. Plenty of 18-19c days and nothing more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
On 19/04/2023 at 01:41, B87 said:

20c: 4th May

25c: 15th May

30c: 13th June (it's about time)

35c: 18th July

I was close, 3 days out for my 20c guess. 

None of the others look like happening any time in the next few weeks though.

Posted

First 70f breached today in Sheffield. 21.3 degrees. Quite late in the season.

Can't see 70f being breached again in the foreseeable. 

Edited by damianslaw