Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Heat Haters Club 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.

It feels so much better out there today now the humidity has finally cleared.  Let's hope we've seen the last of the real humidity this year.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
5 hours ago, Chris J said:

I think the media made so much of the 40+c last year that many are just convinced its always been the norm and now guaranteed as part of summer entitlement.

Nobody thinks 40c is the norm mate... It was extreme, no doubts about it. Only was a day, thankfully. This year however, we didn't even see a 30c this July so our climate is, as ways, flip flopping about. Not sure who you think is feeling 'entitled' to 40c again, we aren't Morocco!

I agree that as a country we need to start investing in air con being prevalent across our infrastructure. Our infrastructure is currently designed to KEEP IN heat (unlike Spain or Greece for.instance). Speaking long term, warmer weather will see a shift in investment I imagine. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Nobody thinks 40c is the norm mate... It was extreme, no doubts about it. Only was a day, thankfully. This year however, we didn't even see a 30c this July so our climate is, as ways, flip flopping about. Not sure who you think is feeling 'entitled' to 40c again, we aren't Morocco!

I agree that as a country we need to start investing in air con being prevalent across our infrastructure. Our infrastructure is currently designed to KEEP IN heat (unlike Spain or Greece for.instance). Speaking long term, warmer weather will see a shift in investment I imagine. 

Air conditioning is something that will need to be more accessible. As of right now, it does look to be advertised more. I'm starting to think that there will be a shift in many things.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

Yes, I think that there will be...and it's more pronounced for a country like ours, for as a poster above said, everything in the UK is historically based on keeping heat in, not ventilating in the true sense. The south/ south east are already seeing really prolonged periods of much greater warmth heat, too (not so much this year, sure, but that's an exception). Adaptation will have to come, and pretty soon I reckon.

• Like 2

Well its certainly lovely and fresh out there this evening. Sunsets getting earlier and earlier, we have done bloody well this summer overall...probably nearly as good as it can get to be honest. More of the same next year please!

Hopefully there's still some pleasant days to come but not long until the equinox now.

Posted

Another fresh and pleasant day on the Yorkshire Coast, after last week's humidity. With the end of August in sight we should have done with heat. It can get warm in September but usually only a day or two, and quite unusual in our location as the sea moderates our temperatures.

So hopefully I will see you all in other threads, but for everyone's sake I hope we don't meet in this one again.

We are off to France for our holiday at the end of September, staying on the edge of Paris. Obviously the potential for heat is greater, that's why we delay our holiday until the end of September. So far the years that we have been at that time we haven't had a hot enough day to cause us to change plans.

Hoping for a proper Winter this year, but I am prepared to be disappointed.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Well this 12 oz run pops up plenty of warm to very warm weather and a few hot unpleasant days.  Quite a shift from yesterday so not much confidence in the run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Well this 12 oz run pops up plenty of warm to very warm weather and a few hot unpleasant days.  Quite a shift from yesterday so not much confidence in the run.

I just noticed talk of it becoming warmer let’s hope it’s wrong and nothing becomes of it 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Pewkzii said:

I just noticed talk of it becoming warmer let’s hope it’s wrong and nothing becomes of it 

Seems to a strong trend of something warmer and settled from the weekend, but not a done deal yet.

• Like 1

Posted

The charts are finding ways for a warm September to materialise, but just over the last couple of days, and despite the Hovmoller plots suggesting a string of lows ahead.

Hovmoller has been pretty good this summer, but with all three of the main day to day systems finding some upcoming high pressure and warmth....something must be there.

Potentially a high that builds, but then an undercutting low will pop up....can only hope! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Bring on September warmth I say. It takes a hell of a lot for warmth to be unpleasant in September, and with the long nights it means it actually cools down that bit more. Lovely month. And all the feral kids are back in prison school 😂

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Bring on September warmth I say. It takes a hell of a lot for warmth to be unpleasant in September, and with the long nights it means it actually cools down that bit more. Lovely month. And all the feral kids are back in prison school 😂

You worded this well lol I’m not so worried about the heat now and the feral ones 😂

13 hours ago, Don said:

Seems to a strong trend of something warmer and settled from the weekend, but not a done deal yet.

I hope not fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Nick L said:

Spot on.

I always enjoy my September holiday as most places are nice and quiet and the weather's rarely a problem.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
On 27/08/2023 at 20:11, Nick L said:

It's been a great summer for avoiding unpleasant heat. June was superb for the most part, rarely got uncomfortable. Having numerous days of widespread 30C+ in this country is not the norm and it's nice to have a more normal summer. 

The Autumnal feeling is now creeping in and I'm all for it. We're lucky to have such defined seasons.

LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

crept up to 31c yesterday ..was a dry heat though with the Humidex at 30c oddly ..wont be long once we reach September that i will probably start to pack my bags and move into the cold haters thread for the winter :snowman-emoji:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, al78 said:

LOL.

Want to add something constructive to your reply or just that childish retort?

We get huge variations in light levels and nature from one season to the next and I personally believe we're lucky. I would hate to live somewhere where it's the same throughout the year. 

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
10 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Want to add something constructive to your reply or just that childish retort?

We get huge variations in light levels and nature from one season to the next and I personally believe we're lucky. I would hate to live somewhere where it's the same throughout the year. 

Considering we can have temperatures almost the same both in the winter and summer solstices I wouldn't say we have such huge variations in temperatures / weather itelf. The seasons aren't that defined in that aspect, especially compared to a continental climate or even into eastern Europe at the same latitude as us.

However, in terms of nature changes and daylength? Then yes I would agree there is quite a big difference between summer and winter.

• Like 3

Posted

Oh no, I spoke too soon, Sunday is currently forecast 24c feels like 27c here, but then cooling down here as winds back easterly. Inland I suspect may not be so lucky.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
4 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

I sense the end is in sight for this thread, it was cold today lol

I wasn't cold today, it was ok! Depends on location, I guess. Lovely fresh, crisp morning! Temperature dipped when a shower came through, though.

I was hopeful that this thread could be wrapped up until 2024, but there may be a little sting in the tail coming up...hopefully not serious heat, but the humidity could be annoying though. Still, with the last day of meteorological summer tomorrow, what a relief to have avoided anything too heavy other than a couple of weeks in June. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SollyOlly said:

I wasn't cold today, it was ok! Depends on location, I guess. Lovely fresh, crisp morning! Temperature dipped when a shower came through, though.

I was hopeful that this thread could be wrapped up until 2024, but there may be a little sting in the tail coming up...hopefully not serious heat, but the humidity could be annoying though. Still, with the last day of meteorological summer tomorrow, what a relief to have avoided anything too heavy other than a couple of weeks in June. 

Been up to about 18/19 here today after a sharp 10 minute shower this morning, certainly not cold at all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Certainly not a cold day on the cool side certainly.

Anyway looks like the hot weather arriving yuk.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Certainly not a cold day on the cool side certainly.

Anyway looks like the hot weather arriving yuk.

Effect of that brisk NW wind but the clean fresh air was absolutely lovely after weeks of humid filth and muck.