Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted

How funny, September 24th is my birthday too! I remember 2021’s being incredible in London - felt like a peak summer day with bright sunshine throughout, whereas in contrast in 2010 it was very unseasonably cold and a preview of what that winter would bring. Hope this one is good as it’s nice to have it on a weekend.

Posted
43 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Just got back from cycling. Air feels comfortable when you're moving, once you stand still it feels really warm. Reminds me of a summer night.

Still reckon it'll be a very brief winter this time round, and likely very mild too. The only significant cold we'll see will be one or two cold snaps around February, followed by some March heat.

Why though? Have a look at the seasonal models, majority of them are pinging to a blocked, cold winter.  I know cold is unlikely but the signal is the strongest we've seen in many years. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Why though? Have a look at the seasonal models, majority of them are pinging to a blocked, cold winter.  I know cold is unlikely but the signal is the strongest we've seen in many years. 

Hopecasting and the law of averages which state that it's very hard to get sustained cold and snow in the UK.

Personally I hope he gets snowed in and has to use a pair of tennis rackets strapped to his feet to walk anywhere😆

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

It’s a lovely warm evening, just been for a nice walk with the dog. Extremely rare for it to be so warm and dark at 8pm, it’s almost like being in the Caribbean.

It is!!!!

3 hours ago, Azazel said:

What an absolutely perfect evening. 

i would genuinely take this all year if I could. Sat outside in a thin t shirt and shorts and my body feels the perfect temperature.

Wild that it’s September though - mentally I’ve actually switched back into summer mode lol. I’m so confused. 

Yes!!! Me too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Still 21°C here. Could easily be sat outside still, just a shame it's so late 😆

Edited by matt111
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

If anyone doesn't like the warm nights then they'd love it here. We were already down to 18.2C at 6pm and are currently at 14.7C.

Friday to Sunday looks like the warmest days for us. A very good chance our September record of 27.7C could go on one of those days. GFS suggests 30C and 31C for the weekend, so it could well be it goes in style.

• Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Still 21°C here. Could easily be sat outside still, just a shame it's so late 😆

I just walked outside to feel it! It's amazing!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, reef said:

If anyone doesn't like the warm nights then they'd love it here. We were already down to 18.2C at 6pm and are currently at 14.7C.

Friday to Sunday looks like the warmest days for us. A very good chance our September record of 27.7C could go on one of those days. GFS suggests 30C and 31C for the weekend, so it could well be it goes in style.

It was still above 20C at quarter to midnight here, currently 19C. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I just walked outside to feel it! It's amazing!! 

Did the same not long ago and yes it feels really nice out there. The flies that suddenly appeared as I walked out the door didn't feel so nice though, that's one downside to it being like this at this time of year. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Some friends and I swam down Severn this evening at Ironbridge for a while- incredibly, the water temp was 20°C…!!! In September?!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

As much as I enjoying this warm spell now, I tend to lose interest in warmth once we have reached the equinox (same with cold weather in spring).

But that doesn't mean that I want it to be unsettled unless there is a storm or two. Once we are at the equinox my interest turns to single digit foggy mornings, average daytime temps (mid to late teens) with sunshine followed by cool cosy evenings. I am personally hoping we get those conditions later this month. After that more of those conditions in October along with the first named storm and finally a cool and frosty November with sunshine and another storm at some point.

But until the equinox, I am happy for this hot spell to remain. ☀️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

As much as I enjoying this warm spell now, I tend to lose interest in warmth once we have reached the equinox (same with cold weather in spring).

But that doesn't mean that I want it to be unsettled unless there is a storm or two. Once we are at the equinox my interest turns to single digit foggy mornings, average daytime temps (mid to late teens) with sunshine followed by cool cosy evenings. I am personally hoping we get those conditions later this month. After that more of those conditions in October along with the first named storm and finally a cool and frosty November with sunshine and another storm at some point.

But until the equinox, I am happy for this hot spell to remain. ☀️

We're kind of in a holding pattern between mid September and November. Too late for heat and storms and too early for cold and snow.

Usually the most trying period of the year weatherwise for me, unless we can get some October gales.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal, but not too hot in summer.
7 hours ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

It’s a lovely warm evening, just been for a nice walk with the dog. Extremely rare for it to be so warm and dark at 8pm, it’s almost like being in the Caribbean.

It's hot, humid, nearly 4am and I'm wide awake and sweating.  There's nothing lovely about this spell.

• Like 5

Posted
32 minutes ago, S Bragg said:

It's hot, humid, nearly 4am and I'm wide awake and sweating.  There's nothing lovely about this spell.

Fear not, the ICON really cools us down next week. The 0C isotherm making it in across Scotland and much cooler elsewhere

image.thumb.png.b39af5165db7c0e69e0a5d909af4f307.png

Overnight temperatures well down into single figures

image.thumb.png.e8bca0aa33cbb3d58d7351a96d5f4d94.png

Edited by Cheshire Freeze
  • Like 5

Posted

Plenty of places in the south west stayed above 20C overnight, given the truncated daylight hours it’s really very nice with the windows open and a warm breeze coming in. Can’t understand the moaning. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Awful night for sleeping, imagine being in a poorly ventilated flat with only one aspect, horrific temps. 20c over night is a nightmare for so many.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 5

Posted

19C already. Very overcast though but already high humidity. Noticed while watering my bedding plants that flowers are popping up everywhere! Thought I wouldn't see anymore of those so they are obviously enjoying this warm and sunny spell! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Morning from a nice warm and sunny Altenmarkt- Zauchensee. Temp in the valley expected to peak around 30c today, similar to much of what Central and Western Europe including parts of The British Isles under the early September heat dome is experiencing. Amazing weather.

C

Could contain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Has anyone got the stats for the warmest places overnight? Looks like a couple of places in South Wales and SW England may have remained above 21C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!
20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Slept fine last night - looking forward to another day of high temps and another warm evening for sitting outside:) 

Always interesting how people are all so different! Hellish conditions from my perspective, I can hardly breath it's so humid...and sleep was very fitful, to say the least. I am really disliking and struggling with this spell of weather now...the humidity is just the worst.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
6 hours ago, BleakMidwinter said:

Some friends and I swam down Severn this evening at Ironbridge for a while- incredibly, the water temp was 20°C…!!! In September?!

Isn't mid August to mid September the peak in water temperatures during the year so should be the hottest it gets at the moment? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Finally get a day off 2moz to enjoy this spell of Summer weather and now the forecast have decided to say it will be mostly cloudy. I wonder who out there I have aggravated so much that they decided to put a curse on me! At least Saturday is still looking good....for now...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
8 hours ago, Frigid said:

The question on whether it will be a mild or cold winter will be debated every year. The models change daily and anyone predicting a 'cold' winter in August/Sept is usually way off the mark.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
19 minutes ago, Weatherman_93 said:

The question on whether it will be a mild or cold winter will be debated every year. The models change daily and anyone predicting a 'cold' winter in August/Sept is usually way off the mark.

At any time now, the newspapers will be releasing a news story predicting the coldest winter in over a century. 

• Like 3