Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
37 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Although nothing special, August was tbf much better than July. The last foul day we had here was on the 08th, the following day was glorious and from then in it was quite a bit better. There wasn’t another foul day until the 31st.

True though that the month generally underperformed. Came across like a standard September.

The late August bank holiday was nothing special, but it does depend on location.

For me, apart from the storms on the Saturday 26th, which felt warm and humid, with the previous few days of hot sunshine early that week, the days following the storms felt kind of chilly.

Posted
5 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

Give it a few (thousand million) years...

Then we'll all be moaning LOL

4 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol it didn’t feel cold as far as you are concerned.

Do you ever consider other people didn’t find it warm? 

Just wondering is all.

She was in the SE-ern corner where they had tons of sun so was very lucky!

5 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

Me too! I know not part of SW England but climate wise im basically in SW England. 

Hugs mate! We survived ... Somehow lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I was in the blue area! I did moan a lot about cloud. I got sooo unlucky!

Winchester is the new cloud capital of the UK ☁️ 😔

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Winchester is the new cloud capital of the UK ☁️ 😔

Noooo don't want it! Lol. Fingers crossed for an Autumn like last year. It was mazing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

5th consecutive day of 30°C for London, in September! 

And I wouldn't be so confident in saying Sunday/Monday will be the last of the hot weather this year. This hurricane season seems quite active and we shouldn't rule out the possibility of the same weather pattern returning throughout September and October. 2023 is a strange year and may have more tricks up its sleeve. Perhaps >30°C in October? 

hotday5.thumb.png.b207051b51a2cd2f7bd9a37edb039ecd.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

If we didn't have this September heatwave, the only 30c that would've been achieved this year would've been in June... 

We have hot weather for a week and people lose their minds, overlooking the fact that it was cool, cloudy and wet for most the preceeding 6/7 weeks!

End of June, all of July and the first week of August were largely poor. Rest of August was ok, some nice days arrived but then the end was bad. Meaning that was basically all of ‘high summer’ not very summery. So with this hot spell that’ll be 4 weeks out of 52 this year that have been very warm (barring any unlikely further warmth). Wow, 4 whole weeks. How traumatic

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
42 minutes ago, cheese said:

Yeah, I know. By ‘much’ I didn’t mean ‘most’. That’s not a small area of blue on that map. 

As ever your perception of a particular season will depend on the where you live. If you live in that blue area it probably seemed like a cool August. 

For the highest  population densities areas it was average

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Stabilo19 said:

And I wouldn't be so confident in saying Sunday/Monday will be the last of the hot weather this year. This hurricane season seems quite active and we shouldn't rule out the possibility of the same weather pattern returning throughout September and October. 2023 is a strange year and may have more tricks up its sleeve. Perhaps >30°C in October? 

I'ld take it!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

For the highest  population densities areas it was average

That blue area does cover some high density areas like Birmingham though, plus the highly populated Solent region (Southampton, Portsmouth etc). But yes for most it was average. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, thunderstorms and snowy or frosty winters
4 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Can't remember which year it was (possibly 2017) Hurricane Orphelia brought that unusually warm day in October along with the apocalyptic orange sky and red sun, remember that very well and is proof not to underestimate the weather Hurricanes can bring to our shores.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
9 minutes ago, Row w said:

Can't remember which year it was (possibly 2017) Hurricane Orphelia brought that unusually warm day in October along with the apocalyptic orange sky and red sun, remember that very well and is proof not to underestimate the weather Hurricanes can bring to our shores.

Yep, and hurricane Gordon in sept 2006 brought a solitary very warm and sunny but windy day on the 21st. A real late burst of summer.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

30c, humid, sultry, hazy Friday afternoon in the big smoke…

IMG_6366.thumb.jpeg.0cdd8eb039647cdeb3b58c079c5c9f25.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
20 minutes ago, Row w said:

I can still remember that October heatwave we had a few years back (I think 2011), we had a few days in the 20s I'm sure 

• Like 2

Posted
14 minutes ago, Row w said:

It was 16th October 2017. It became really gloomy with Saharan dust and smoke from Iberian wildfires, and appeared threatening for a storm, but as I recall there was only a little light rain, at least at Pagham around that time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
1 hour ago, Cheshire Freeze said:

It didn’t rain every single day of July. 

I should bloody hope not! 😅 Shall we jump for joy at the fact that not every single day was wet, but only most was. We don't live in Torshavn haha!

There were dry and fine days mixed in there too

Yes. About 3.... 

Jokes aside, you have 'cold' in your name - so obviously a 'fine' July day for you, is probably very far from 'fine' for those who prefer warmer conditions from April to Sept. Most of July this year was in the high teens, or 20-21c at best and overcast. Which is simply not good summer weather for me. And thats ok! I enjoy cold and snow in winter so we'll be more inclined to agree in the coming months... ❄️

Re July and early August though, If we want to talk stats, there were multiple days during the month barely scraping into the mid to high teens, with multiple 16 and 17c rainy days, and the 15c Saturday the 22nd that rained for like 14 hours straight (this is in London too, so no doubt it was even colder elsewhere).

I can't recall so many people wearing proper coats and heavy jackets in July - for days on end - throughout the city. I've never, ever seen it in my 11 years working there since leaving university. Waving the CET figures in their faces and telling them "Take your coat/jacket off, it's not even cold, its normal/average July weather, see look at the stats" wouldn't have made them feel any different about the situation, I imagine.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, cheese said:

Met are forecasting a tropical night in Leeds tonight. 

Could contain:

What have the minimums been like in recent days? They've underestimated the sea breeze here and a a result the minimums have been much lower than forecast. So far this month we've had:

1st: 13.8C
2nd: 13.4C
3rd: 12.2C
4th: 11.0C
5th: 10.1C
6th: 14.9C
7th: 14.3C

We're forecast a min of 17C tonight so it'll be interesting if it comes to fruition.

We've peaked at 23.6C today so its not a high base to start from.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

I can still remember that October heatwave we had a few years back (I think 2011), we had a few days in the 20s I'm sure 

29.9c on October 1st:

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A new record is set for the highest temperature recorded in October - at 29.9C (85.8F)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Oooh I missed me dot LOL!!!

Well, I actually believed it as nothing surprises me these days when it come to heat and climate change!! 🤪🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, reef said:

What have the minimums been like in recent days? They've underestimated the sea breeze here and a a result the minimums have been much lower than forecast. So far this month we've had:

1st: 13.8C
2nd: 13.4C
3rd: 12.2C
4th: 11.0C
5th: 10.1C
7th: 14.3C

We're forecast a min of 17C tonight so it'll be interesting if it comes to fruition.

We've peaked at 23.6C today so it’s not a high base to start from.

They have definitely overestimated minimums, but I always assume their forecast is based on the city centre. I’m 5 miles out so it will always be a bit cooler at night here. 

Lows this month here: 

1st: 13.1C

2nd: 13.5C

3rd: 12.3C

4th: 12.1C

5th: 13.0C

7th: 17.0C

8th: 14.4C

It’s very humid and hazy today so I do think we’ll have a warmer night than the 7th, but not 20C+. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Just on my thoughts about this September heatwave. Most notable aspect of it for me is the solidified nature of it - aka, days in a row being 30c or very close to it. That is very rare for us in any summer month, let alone in September.

The 'plumes' we tend to have nowadays that make the likes of the Daily Mail and The Express lose their minds, tend to be pretty short-lived affairs, with a couple of 30c+ days at the peak, and then maybe 2/3 days of high 20s either side of it. Often followed by a Thunderstorm too! 

Quite unprecedented to have - what will be by Sunday - 7-8 days in total of 30c temps or close to it, in September. It almost feels as if the 2 / 2 shorter plumes / warmth spikes we usually have during high summer, were held at bay, and now all condensed and landed in one big bang!

• Like 7

Posted

Temp of 28C, dew point is 20C, hazy skies and not a breath of wind. It actually feels quite stifling this afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Warm

just been chilling in the garden when I was visited by a rather large hornet. I ran of course and it chased me and flew into my leg. 

Probably not going outside again now tbf 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter
44 minutes ago, cheese said:

Met are forecasting a tropical night in Leeds tonight. 

Could contain:

We had a tropical night on the 4th! Our first since July 2016 as well so pretty good going for September.

37 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

30c for October 2023!!! I am feeling it, this is the year.