Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
Just now, sarahng said:

It's been a beautiful evening here today - so warm and sunny.  I fear that is the last until next April/May though!  

There could be more of this in October, only if the Met Office can actually deliver it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

We’ve  (the south west) been in the middle ground this week, overall not poor but not great but warm ish with sun, cloud and rain. Sorry it’s been rubbish you up there 

NW been on wrong side of split, was expecting 25C and mostly sunny here, but not a minute of sun, windy and felt more like April

Posted
4 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

We’ve  (the south west) been in the middle ground this week, overall not poor but not great but warm ish with sun, cloud and rain. Sorry it’s been rubbish you up there 

No worries. What can you do? At least we got a decent Friday with sunny spells  Saturday just grey. But dry ! Hoorah! Anyway you lot had a great May/June. Lovely. Fair play.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

No worries. What can you do? At least we got a decent Friday with sunny spells  Saturday just grey. But dry ! Hoorah! Anyway you lot had a great May/June. Lovely. Fair play.

True we did, was all too short though given that really we only have 6 months that can bring warmth and well 2 months and maybe a week or two total of nice weather just doesn’t cut if for me which is why I’d say this spring and summer has been verging on the poorer side of average…  would be nice if the weather plates fair for us in the this country, god knows how those in the north cope with their usual weather 

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
5 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

True we did, was all too short though given tjlhat really we only have 6 months that can bring warmth and well 2 months total of nice weather just doesn’t cut if for me which is why I’d say this spring and summer has been verging on the poorer side of average…  would be nice if the weather plates fair for us in the this country, god knows how those in the north cope with their usual weather 

Yeah agree. Poor summer. Started off so brilliantly. Ended up a damp squib. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

I am back from my trip overseas and came back to rain and 16c. Not been officially diagnosed with SAD but I think I have it. British Nov-Feb (Alongside the PNW, Southern New Zealand, Tasmania and Northern France/Benelux) are up there for the worse most depressing winters for my tastes. Too mild for reliable snow and wintery weather but too cold and wet for comfortable outdoor activities. I wouldn't mind a cloudy winter climate funny enough if it was snowy (Something like the Great Lakes or Hokkaido where winter months are cloudy but with snow). I find that winter highs wise 5-15c is the dead zone. Too warm for wintery weather but too cool for winter warmth and outdoor activities. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
17 minutes ago, Catbrainz said:

I am back from my trip overseas and came back to rain and 16c. Not been officially diagnosed with SAD but I think I have it. British Nov-Feb (Alongside the PNW, Southern New Zealand, Tasmania and Northern France/Benelux) are up there for the worse most depressing winters for my tastes. Too mild for reliable snow and wintery weather but too cold and wet for comfortable outdoor activities. I wouldn't mind a cloudy winter climate funny enough if it was snowy (Something like the Great Lakes or Hokkaido where winter months are cloudy but with snow). I find that winter highs wise 5-15c is the dead zone. Too warm for wintery weather but too cool for winter warmth and outdoor activities. 

The joys of a maritime climate with dominant influence from a continental south 

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yeah agree. Poor summer. Started off so brilliantly. Ended up a damp squib. 

True It wasn’t great but then again at least we had some nice weather, it was just generally in short supply besides the 6 weeks of glorious weather from mid May, hopefully next year will be stunning 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

True It wasn’t great but then again at least we had some nice weather, it was just generally in short supply besides the 6 weeks of glorious weather from mid May, hopefully next year will be stunning 

Yes. I remember the Sw and W had brilliant sunny stuff mid May onwards. Low /mid 20's . Seems like a long long time ago now  ..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Well it's not t shirt weather out side tonight lol, a rather brisk chilly easterly wind has developed from somewhere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.
22 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I'll pack em up and bring em!

My auntie in Wales has chickens. I think she sells the eggs. Can't beat fresh ones.

Edited by Dark Horse
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, Dark Horse said:

My auntie in Wales has chickens. I think she sells the eggs. Can't beat fresh ones.

Sells ours too. Although only got one layer right now 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons
48 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

The joys of a maritime climate with dominant influence from a continental south 

I think in that regard Tasmania and Southern New Zealand may be even worse for wintery weather (at least in lowlands), Western Europe and the PNW can draw in colder continental airmasses at times while any cold has to cross a giant ocean for the southern hemisphere oceanic climates. I couldn't see say Invercargill NZ getting anything like Dec 2010. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

BBC showing the contrast today:

IMG_6413.thumb.jpeg.bd3b1755b36efa252e530274b3be4fb1.jpeg

Today is very likely the absolute last of what I would class as a “hot” day for this year. Autumn is coming this week. Hopeful we’ll still get some warm-ish and sunny weather into October, before hopefully a good winter with snow potential. Before that we have the rest of Autumn to deal with - the jet will start to fire up as the Arctic gets colder. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 3

Posted

Big contrasts past couple of days, north of a line Morecambe Bay to Teeside, very much autumnal chill, south and late summer hold, more so in the SE. 

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
39 minutes ago, Jon Somerset said:

Unbelievably the storm utterly petered out before it got here. Remarkable. And excessively disappointing.

Looks like more storms are building, could be an interesting day. Fingers crossed 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I genuinely feel a bit sad reading how the light levels/cloud cover/cold/rain has such an impact on some of you. I have always been lucky that, while snow has been my favourite since I can remember (due to an immensely snowy holiday to Scotland in the early 90’s when I was just a little girl), I am happy in all weather, even if it is monotonous or I feel like the previous seasons expected weather did not ‘deliver’.

I walk around my village to people making comments of ‘miserable old day’ and I’m thinking ‘not really’ 😅 If I could give you all my head, I would! That includes the ones on here that appear the opposite and love the approaching time of year and hate the summer.

One thing that does interest me, why are we not all acclimatised to our changeable weather - I often wonder, do some Inuits hate the snow and long for sun and do some Mexican’s hate the heat and long for the cold 🤔 I am sure they do, I’m just not on their weather forums to know 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Lovely day on the Yorkshire Wolds, 19c with sun and light cloud, been sat in the garden in a T-shirt since midmorning, thought i best enjoy it before it goes teets up next week.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

No thunderstorms here so far, just a spell of quite heavy rain. 

Posted

71mm in Exeter in the last 24 hours, most of that since early this morning morning…wow! Surprised I’ve not heard of any flooding so far 

Moderately heavy rain all morning with bouts of torrential rain all through the morning and early afternoon, this video wasn’t even the heaviest it got.

Could contain:

Edited by TwisterGirl81