Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Those areas of the North East are very similar to the climate of South Western Norway tbh. Just less snow in winter.

Summer temperatures aren’t too different but SW Norway is significantly duller and wetter all year. 

On average, Bergen gets an astonishing 2347mm of rain a year, 195 days of rain, and 1187 hours of sun - on par with Shetland!

Tynemouth (a few miles east of Newcastle on the coast) gets 608mm of rain a year, 116 days of rain and 1551 hours of sun - pretty standard for eastern England.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
15 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

I love windstorms especially at night, windier the better, makes me feel or safe and snug indoors lol   I remember burns day storm in the early 90's when I was little and it has stayed with me I guess, i think we had wind gusts into 85 - 90mph range, we still went to school as the worst of the wind was late morning, we weren't aloud outside til home time, had it been these days I'm pretty sure school would have been cancelled, It's only a matter of time until it happens again....I remember trees uprooted, roofing in roads and roof asphalt flying in the air and trying to not get hit by it walking home.

I just keep thinking back to 87 I never want to hear wind like that again, and thankfully I haven't, but every wind storm has me worried.

16 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Everybody cheer up, a little rain and wind doesn't hurt anyone, makes the country green, at least it's not cold....Sun and some warmth looks to be returning soon too 🙂

Today is ok, I think lol, the cold front isn't here yet, we'll see.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

For a weather enthusiast's site I can't understand folk getting into a frenzy over some wind and rain. It's rough weather. Get used to it for the next 7 months. 

For goodness sake.😃

7 months!? 'kin hope not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
47 minutes ago, markyo said:

Much better, working, sleeping you name it just better

Not been any trouble sleeping or working though, it hasn't exactly been boiling hot, lol!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Loving the contrasts this month; from last week's heat, to the thunderstorms, to today's slice of glorious autumn heavy rain and strong winds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
19 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I just keep thinking back to 87 I never want to hear wind like that again, and thankfully I haven't, but every wind storm has me worried.

Today is ok, I think lol, the cold front isn't here yet, we'll see.

The 1987 storm I don't think I remember too well though I was only 6 but I think it was just a gale here, it was more a south eastern event so must have strengthened as it past the south west or a sting jet.  I think in the south east you had 90 - 110mph gusts? and 50-60 sustained winds from what I read?

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
Just now, TwisterGirl81 said:

The 1987 storm I don't think I remember but I think it was just a gale here, it was more a south eastern event so must have strengthened as it past the south west or a sting jet.  I think in the south east you had 90 - 110mph gusts? and 50-60 sustained winds from what I read?

Shoreham had a gust of 117mph with 73mph sustained winds, I think the peak hit here directly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
29 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

For a weather enthusiast's site I can't understand folk getting into a frenzy over some wind and rain. It's rough weather. Get used to it for the next 7 months. 

For goodness sake.😃

I'm not sure why so many people are convinced this sort of weather is stuck with us for 6-7 months. There's still a possibility that October and even November could be warm and settled, and true spring warmth potential starts around March time. Realistically it's only about three months of guaranteed persistent cold and dark.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Shoreham had a gust of 117mph with 73mph sustained winds, I think the peak hit here directly.

So scary, doesn't even bare thinking about, must have been a terrifying experience, especially as it was overnight as well.  Can you remember it?

Posted
1 minute ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

So scary, doesn't even bare thinking about, must have been a terrifying experience, especially as it was overnight as well.  Can you remember it?

I wasn't actually alive to witness it, but stories from older people who were all say it was horrific with no other wind event coming anywhere near the intensity levels of this one, some people around here still believe it was actually a hurricane.

Posted
Just now, Freeze said:

I wasn't actually alive to witness it, but stories from older people who were all say it was horrific with no other wind event coming anywhere near the intensity levels of this one, some people around here still believe it was actually a hurricane.

Well it wasn't far off a category 1, I think they said it was once in a 300 year event, though I'm not convinced especially with climate change, maybe just a catchy media headline 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Absolute pits today. Been cats and dogs for the last 4hrs. Feels cold outside. Nothing to like really. 

Sods law. I'm off this week. Every Wednesday at work it never rains. Today chucked it down from dawn until about 2pm. My plan was to get the train down to Worcester for Worcestershire CCC's final home fixture of the cricket season. I didn't bother and play abandoned for the day without a ball bowled. Oh well. Maybe next April will bring in some good weather and the trip is back on. 

Posted
26 minutes ago, Bristle Si said:

7 months!? 'kin hope not.

October will be warm and settled I bet. 😎 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Well it wasn't far off a category 1, I think they said it was once in a 300 year event, though I'm not convinced especially with climate change, maybe just a catchy media headline 

1mph from a cat 1, I'm sure something similar will occur again soon!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
47 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

For goodness sake.😃

Were we on atrainspotting site I'd agree with you! 😁

Posted
51 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

For goodness sake.😃

If people moaning about weather they don’t like is triggering for you then I think you’re on the wrong forum! 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
15 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Absolute pits today. Been cats and dogs for the last 4hrs. Feels cold outside. Nothing to like really. 

Too chilly for me, not much reason to leave the house other than to go shopping. And to think it's still warmer than some days we had during that supposedly average July and August spell.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
45 minutes ago, Wynn D Woo said:

Not been any trouble sleeping or working though, it hasn't exactly been boiling hot, lol!

Never said it had...your point?

Don't forget i'm still working in 35c plus temps

Posted
10 minutes ago, This Moody Sky said:

Just signing in for the evening, hi all. Expecting rain here in the next 20 minutes or so. Excited! 

Enjoy it, met office recorded nearly 13.5mm so far today though they are a couple miles away from where I am and we had a few little heavier pulses of rain here which just skimmed their location so I think we must have received not too far off an inch

Edited by TwisterGirl81

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
1 hour ago, Wimbledon88 said:

For goodness sake.😃

OK. So. Here's the thing, see.

I'm a keen bicyclist (yes, one of the most hated groups of people, even though I'm considerate, and don't break rules like running red lights etc...)

So, here are some of the hazards that mean I get restricted in my bicycling activities in wet and windy weather:

• Puddles - can be deep and hiding potholes and other hazards especially. One of my cycling friends took a tumble after hitting a hidden pothole in a puddle, went over the handlebars, smashed his face in. Sold his bike the next day
  • Wind - especially traversing the peak district, a strong crosswind can easily blow one across the road, and into the fast 50mph traffic. Nearly happened to me before. Lesson learned
  • Wet roads - poor braking distance, especially for a bike, which has a longer braking distance than a car. Risk of skidding over when breaking especially downhill. Yes, happened before. Lesson learned
  • Wet roads - splashing mud and water all over you, and the bike. Bike must be cleaned comprehensively after the ride.
  • On that note, bike parts go rusty kinda quickly when they get wet
  • Electrical equipment on bike starts to play up if it gets waterlogged (such as the bike computer)
  • Getting soaking wet - even in light rain, and especially windy weather, added to the speed of the bike you will get a comprehensive soaking, and it will go through almost anything you wear
  • Having to wear coats etc... is impractical, as it stops you having the required flexibility to adequately ride the bicycle

I hope this makes sense.

For goodness sake.

Edited by Met.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1