Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
6 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

It would appear that confidence in a cold winter has really plummeted over the last two weeks. At the end of august it was seemingly inevitable with all the correct factors lined up, but seems most people are pessimistic now? 

Having said that, the strength of the signals indicating a warm end to September were somewhat weaker in the last forecast updates.

Hope so. The thought of weeks on end of sub zero temperatures.  Cloudy snow flurries. No sunshine. Fills me with dread. Having said that I don't mind a late winter as nights are getting lighter and spring is getting nearer. I can cope. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Hope so. The thought of weeks on end of sub zero temperatures.  Cloudy snow flurries. No sunshine. Fills me with dread. Having said that I don't mind a late winter as nights are getting lighter and spring is getting nearer. I can cope. 

Same here. I don't mind a classic winter setup as long as it's only a week or so. A prolonged Arctic-style winter would be bad news, there's no infrastructure to deal with prolonged cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It's the weekend. Of course the s**te will be here.

Bless you mate .. you always bring a smile to my face with your "on point" responses .. always good to "tell it like it is"

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Thoroughly wet today!  33.2mm so far.

rainfall-mm-rain-rate-mm(1).thumb.png.abd0f2517ab3096a369e6c1e694e01ff.png

Up until Sunday, September's rainfall total was 1.4mm. 79.4mm has fallen since then.

I hadn't even noticed the absence of rain until yesterday, there's been nothing since august and then a sudden deluge. The length of dry periods is certainly increasing in recent years, I wonder if we'll come out of winter and into spring with another potential drought? It would provide the perfect breeding ground for another record breaking heatwave next year.

Posted
Just now, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Not sure if that is a compliment!  All the best anyway.

It is mate 😊

Posted
6 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Same here. I don't mind a classic winter setup as long as it's only a week or so. A prolonged Arctic-style winter would be bad news, there's no infrastructure to deal with prolonged cold.

I think that's pretty unlikely to be honest!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and clear. Thunderstorms
14 minutes ago, StingJet said:

Yes .. an epic Storm and one of the strongest Sting Jet events the UK has experienced.  Remember the Storm well as we stayed ahead of it driving up to Oban for the Ferry to Tiree for two weeks of big wave windsurfing

I remember it well. I lived in the West Country at the time and although it was ferocious it wasn’t as bad as it was in the South East. My sister, in London lost her roof.

Posted
Just now, Don said:

I think that's pretty unlikely to be honest!

It's not surprising unfortunately. 2009-2010 was a freak occurrence, a 1 in 100 event delivered by the absolute perfect alignment of factors. It's not something I'm ever expecting to see a repeat of, the only cold we seem to get these days is from SSWs when they come to ruin spring.

A mild winter isn't really a better alternative. Milder often translates into cloud and rain, so just a different kind of cold at that time of year.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mary C said:

I remember it well. I lived in the West Country at the time and although it was ferocious it wasn’t as bad as it was in the South East. My sister, in London lost her roof.

The consequences were quite devastating for many in the South East,  it was a very 11th hour call on how bad it was going to be, no battening down the hatches could prevent the destructive forces of nature.
It must be horrendous for those who live in the Hurricane (Tropical Storms) and Tornado prone parts of the world, the wind at its most ferocious takes no prisoners 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I have been in Australia and South Africa on xmas day following the cricket with England prior to Boxing Day test matches in Melbourne, Durban and Centurion. It is a bit weird when it's hot but they still have the xmas decorations up in the bars/pubs.  As a heat fan I don't mind it in t shirt and shorts and a santa hat ! 

But wouldn't it show there is a big problem should we hit those temps in our winter, thankfully we won't.

Posted
1 hour ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Is today's weather an ex hurricane?

Lee is involved, but just it's energy added to a normal low, so basically the moisture in the air, winds not so much in this one.

1 hour ago, Dorsetbred said:

Ex Lee and Nigel will be here at the weekend.

Well unless the weather reports are wrong Lee is involved now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Wynn D Woo said:

and I said it hasn't been a problem

For you....thats my point entirely.

Posted
56 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Lol even if we have a cold winter for the UK, there won't be weeks of any of those, it'll be the usual mixed bag of weather, but depressed temps. So some snow, some cloud some rain, even some sun. Possibly quite a bit of sun.

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, Mary C said:

All I remember is the roar and eithe lightning or powerflashes, and also that the weather station being used for central London at the time, on the post office tower broke, so we actually don't know how strong things got. But I'm 90% sure it was lightning, to spite what people keep saying, cause I could see the bolts, had several in my small square yard, during the heavy rains and strong winds, but wind was either louder than the thunder, or was blowing so much the sound couldn't travel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Some stunning evening light tonight as the setting sun pops out of the exiting cold front.

Best time of the day for a cold front to pass through in my opinion. Just had to go through a damp, wet day to get there! 

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Lol even if we have a cold winter for the UK, there won't be weeks of any of those, it'll be the usual mixed bag of weather, but depressed temps. So some snow, some cloud some rain, even some sun. Possibly quite a bit of sun.

I just remember some bad ones (or good ones for cold lovers) . Like 1987. A long beast from the east domination . Or 1995. 1979. . 1985. Easterlies. Cold. Very cold. And of course 2009/2010. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Speaking of windstorms - 26 February 1990 saw a wind gust of 98mph at Leeds Weather Centre with a maximum sustained speed of 63mph. Has any other city recoded higher than that?