Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
6 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:
  1. Atmospheric - what does that even mean? 
  2. Countdown to Christmas - Are you 5yrs old? 
  3. Cheaper holidays - if you want to sit in the rain, by mid to late autumn warm sunny weather is outside of Europe.
  4. No annoying bugs, ie; wasps - Will give you that one.
  5. Changing colours of the leaves - trees look better green. 
  6. Tasty soups and stews - gross
  7. Misty mornings - Sunny warm ones are better and don’t cause traffic problems 
  8. Cosy nights in - heating costs
  9. My birthday - mine too, it’s rubbish. 

Corrected the above.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

To be fair, the UK doesn’t do autumn foliage well. Never has done. We don’t typically get the vivid colours of New England, mostly just yellows. Some years we seem to get hardly any colours at all before they’re all blown off. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

To be fair, the UK doesn’t do autumn foliage well. Never has done. We don’t typically get the vivid colours of New England, mostly just yellows. Some years we seem to get hardly any colours at all before they’re all blown off. 

They all drop very inconsistently too. Some trees around here are almost totally barren while others are only just turning colour. I'm not sure what those tall but slender looking trees are but they're all barren now.

Posted
11 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

They all drop very inconsistently too. Some trees around here are almost totally barren while others are only just turning colour. I'm not sure what those tall but slender looking trees are but they're all barren now.

True. I know which trees you’re talking about. I think they’re poplars.

Autumn sounds like an amazing season until you remember we live in the UK and not New Hampshire 🤣

Still, the upcoming cooler period looks very sunny, so I’ll definitely enjoy that. Keep the rain and gales at bay for as long as possible.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 4

Posted

I wonder if the weekend would actually be as chilly as forcasted, as sometimes (often in March/April), it is forecasted to be 11c but is actually 14c

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
5 minutes ago, baddie said:

I wonder if the weekend would avtually be as chilly as forcasted, as sometimes during March or April, it is forecasted to be 11c but is actually 14c

I would expect it would get watered down, such extreme forecasrs often do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
36 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Some trees didn't get leaves this year around here, think last year killed them.

Posted
6 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

I would expect it would get watered down, such extreme forecasrs often do.

Still angry how the Met Office didnt give us the week of 18-20c and wall-to-wall sunshine back in mid-April (Like they promised), would have been a very good month if that happened, but it got downgraded to 13-15c, but still sunny-ish, and the high pressure lasted for 5 days (16th-20th) rather than 8. I hope for the next few days the maximas go up a bit (Im not a fan if it instantly getting cold), but nights should definitely be cold

Edited by baddie

Posted
2 minutes ago, baddie said:

Still angry how the Met Office didnt give us the week of 18-20c and wall-to-wall sunshine back in mid-April (Like they promised), would have been a very good month if that happened, but it got downgraded to 13-15c, but still sunny-ish, and the high pressure lasted for 5 days (16th-20th) rather than 8

Selfish Met Office denying our sunshine 🤬😡🤬😡

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

Selfish Met Office denying our sunshine 🤬😡🤬😡

Sometimes they can be good. The models at the beginning of May and August this year both looked terrible, but both months turned out decent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 hours ago, cheese said:

True, more continental climates are far better for autumn colours. We have been lucky occasionally, quite spectacular when it happens. 

• Like 2

Posted

Throwing it down with rain today, thankfully the unsettled weather is short lived though. Heres to a dry and sunny October, whether is warmer or colder than average

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

24°C forecast here today, then 3 more warm days before a massive cool-down. Next week looking positively chilly with the first frosts 🥶 Should be sunny and crisp, too

Could contain:

• Like 1

Posted
23 minutes ago, baddie said:

Throwing it down with rain today, thankfully the unsettled weather is short lived though. Heres to a dry and sunny October, whether is warmer or colder than average

Yep. Back to typical UK autumn weather for today. Utterly vile.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
14 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Yep. Back to typical UK autumn weather for today. Utterly vile.

Gotta rain at some point hasn't it? 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

Gotta rain at some point hasn't it? 

Would just rather it wasn't when I have to catch the bus to work. I can only presume the people who like this weather don't have to go out in at and/or can drive. It's horrid.

Posted
12 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Would just rather it wasn't when I have to catch the bus to work. I can only presume the people who like this weather don't have to go out in at and/or can drive. It's horrid.

It's not really a matter of like or dislike. We'd be an utter desert struggling for food and water if it did not rain from time to time. Green and pleasant land and all that

Some on here can't seem to accept that we actually NEED rain. I could understand some of the complaining if most of us had just had 6 weeks of relentless rain so far this autumn but it's been far from that

And it only looks like a 3-day affair and the dry weather (with some scattered showers in the north) is back again!

Edited by LRD
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, LRD said:

It's not really a matter of like or dislike. We'd be an utter desert struggling for food and water if it did not rain from time to time. Green and pleasant land and all that

Some on here can't seem to accept that we actually NEED rain. I could understand some of the complaining if most of us had just had 6 weeks of relentless rain so far this autumn but it's been far from that

And it only looks like a 3-day affair and the dry weather (with some scattered showers in the north) is back again!

Again, I would just rather it wasn't when I have to catch the bus to work.....

Also, we had constant, prolonged rain on many days here prior to this short settled spell. Every time we finally get a few dry days, people say we need rain, as if the landscape cannot survive without being constantly soaked. Although, normally it's people who live in drier places telling me 'WE' need rain when really they mean THEY need rain. It rains loads here every Autumn. It's horrid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

Also, we had constant, prolonged rain on many days here prior to this short settled spell. Every time we finally get a few dry days, people say we need rain, as if the landscape cannot survive without being constantly soaked. Although, normally it's people who live in drier places telling me 'WE' need rain when really they mean THEY need rain. It rains loads here every Autumn. It's horrid.

Just cause some areas of the UK have had lots of rain, some too much, doesn't mean all areas have. It's been very dry down here, and even in July it wasn't a wash out.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted

Grey, cloudy, 17c.

Popped down shop for the paper in shorts and t-shirt. Did chuckle at the rents dropping their kids off at school, all layered up. Wonder what they'll be wearing when it's 0c😁

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Just cause some areas of the UK have had lots of rain, some too much, doesn't mean all areas have. It's been very dry down here, and even in July it wasn't a wash out.

And vice versa, but apparently I can't be unhappy with being soaked over and over again because other places have been dry. 

Posted
1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

First world problems, eh? 😁

Short settled spell? You wouldn't be calling it short if was a wet spell I'm sure. It's been dry virtually all month hasn't it? Even in your north-ish location. Last rain was weekend of 30th Sep surely? And, as I say, dry again from Saturday

You've slightly misinterpreted my point to be honest. I said we need rain, generally. Not specifically in my location. Didn't mention anything about my location. And we do NEED rain from time to time

• Like 4