Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Mid Summer Onwards

Paul

5 hours ago, Blessed Weather said:

Aren't those charts in km/h?  Converted to mp/h would mean a peak gust of 81 mp/h which, yes, is windy but more in line with typical UK gales?

211 km/h = 131mph ,30 miles off the coast of Ireland before heading on to NW Scotland but weakening before that.

• Thanks 1

Posted

UKMO, ECM and GFS all closely aligned in the short-medium term, i.e. out to day 6.

Low pressure in the ascendancy.. swinging in from the NW early next week and pushes east out to the N Sea by Friday.

End result, a cooling for all early next week, with wind and rain moving through the UK. Heaviest rain and strongest winds in the north and west.

A bit of uncertainty thereafter, ECM keen on another low pressure quickly impacting next weekend. GFS at variance with suggestion of heights building in from the SW holding atlantic at bay.

The jetstream does appear to be getting a bit of oomph to it on a more typical westerly trajectory. Autumnal conditions arriving in time for the equinox. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Interesting to see the GFS and quite a few of its ensembles going for something more settled towards the end of the month. ECM ens showing something similar as well. I think the chance of a settled period to end this month doesn't seem high though.

It has been a good while since we've had a settled end to September. I don't imagine it would be particularly very warm by the end of the month either if the winds did start to come from more of an easterly - south easterly direction, sourced from the near continent.

The only way to really get high 20s by end of September / early October is a longer fetched southerly with no inversions / cooler air trapped close to the surface (1985 and 2011, 2 recent examples of very warm late Sept / early Oct surface temperatures).

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

GFS consistently throwing some nice warm temperatures in the hat for the end of September now. With this ridge to the east and a trough to the west setup the models seem to be sniffing out, summer might not be done with us just yet 👀

Is mid twenties possible in the final week of the month?

image.thumb.png.b610ebe24af7ed58e4053dcd8201fb64.png

• Like 9

Posted

The ECM trying to find that heat, but I'm going to stick with the Jet Stream forecasts and the strengthening polar vortex in the charts at the top of the page keeping the heat pushed back.

Mainly because that's what I want, but hey, doesn't hurt to 'pick a side!'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

ECM clusters this morning continues to support a warmer spell days 8-10.

IMG_7329.thumb.png.e8b3532989d9b01e76929539703a5d4e.png

Consistent across them is the wind from a southwesterly quarter, it seems that there will be a NW/SE split in terms of how settled the weather is depending on the strength of the block to the east.  Cluster 1 has it weakest (more westerly winds), cluster 3 strongest, and cluster 2 in the middle.  

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Nice GFS later in the run this evening.

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

meanwhile gem wants to go up a level .

Could contain:

Could contain:

Could contain:

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
6 minutes ago, Penguin16 said:

In my opinion the high will be further south and conditions much more unsettled that currently pronged for that time frame. 

Do any models show this yet? Certainly not out of the question though re-your thoughts. It will be interesting how how the models handle the questioned Low coming in off the Atlantic. Early days yet so best to keep an open mind atm ☺️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
6 hours ago, legion_quest said:

The ECM trying to find that heat, but I'm going to stick with the Jet Stream forecasts and the strengthening polar vortex in the charts at the top of the page keeping the heat pushed back.

Mainly because that's what I want, but hey, doesn't hurt to 'pick a side!'

Think the anomoly charts @johnholmesposts are pretty good and the jet stream forecasts change all of the time.   Using the mean charts is better than looking at a rogue op run.    The ECM clusters as Mike Poole posted are a very reliable guide too.   

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.
23 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Do any models show this yet? Certainly not out of the question though re-your thoughts. It will be interesting how how the models handle the questioned Low coming in off the Atlantic. Early days yet so best to keep an open mind atm ☺️

Absolutely, it's great to be objective rather than posting gut instincts with what maybe the case.   

Posted

I'd really rather not have another blast of Southern, humid air. 

Going to continue to hope that the Jet drops and takes the ECM by surprise. I do think it's modelling based on what just happened, rather than what will happen, and there are still too many things between then and now that can impact on it being settled or not.

But I also accept I'm definitely hope casting! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

It can be all too easy to take affront. So how about two fronts? And twice in three days? Most in the UK and Ireland will see exactly that through to midweek as two pairs of fronts, each tending to merge into one belt of rain, pass through on Monday and Wednesday, as shown in the 0z UKMO fax charts and the 12z GFS op precipitation charts:

0z fax for 12z on Monday, the GFS from this evening at 6h, showing the belt passing through Ireland this evening, into Wales and Scotland during the morning fragmenting as it passes east through England later tomorrow, clearing away by late on, at 33h. 

CE140F05-FDB5-460A-9731-7F754D201587.thumb.gif.643251f83108f2139d8dd0b9252b76d0.gif 5161646E-380B-4CBD-809F-1A0461A97AE4.thumb.gif.188bff459d3086acb36badcc39cb238b.gif

0z fax for 0z and 12z Wednesday, GFS showing the rain into Ireland and Scotland by Tuesday evening at 57h, clearing through all parts by Thursday morning at 93h. With lower pressure around, this one doesn’t fragment as it moves southeast, indeed quite the opposite. There is a wave running along the second front, visible on the fax and nicely picked up on the GFS too, that delivers an extra pulse of heavy rain as it passes through central and southeastern parts of England during Wednesday night and the early hours of Thursday.

70EF5665-5491-4551-B528-09DE9C2BE426.thumb.gif.97216af465e5daa7e89e91c397d82465.gif B99E3116-6CF9-4146-928C-A8EB83111730.thumb.gif.723966f5e36d60beb6e8c7fb4c3f78a4.gif E8DA511B-95D7-4B68-B3B8-7BC9C8340C89.thumb.gif.0924df04afefbf371d8c17efa00323df.gif ADF628B7-3206-44F1-9D25-A588D0E2DAAD.thumb.gif.e71e8f91de44307663efdee0f4c358cc.gif

Some good totals building - two inches of rain by 96h for parts of Ireland, Wales and England, including parts of the south and southeast, even more for parts of Scotland, with more rain to come for all later in the week, before a likely improvement in the last week of the month. 

Edited by Cambrian
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 hours ago, Tamara said:

Boa tarde

Its almost certain to be over 30C down here in Portugal to see out the month & I think, yes. the mid 20s is certainly possible to bookend a quite remarkable month for the UK

Usual emphasis on some of this thread on MJO composites alone, but without considering the extra tropical GWO circulation (which is also fully alight with tropical activity) then the full story is not told.

Something of a repeat of early September looks to be in the offing, albeit with an increasing temperature gradient across N Europe this time, which is likely to hinder the full omega block pattern that lead to the longevity of that amazing heatwave.

Notwithstanding that, a similarity still revolves around another boost to angular momentum tendency as further momentum transport propagates from the tropics c/o convection returning into the Pacific & imprinting the Nino standing wave which continues to expand westwards across the ENSO region. This, taking the Global Wind Oscillation out of its doldrums and creating a more harmonious wind-flow signal with the MJO in the tropics that likely means a stronger signal than represented by the MJO alone. However, it is also the movement of ex tropical Nigel that looks to coincide within the framework of this rising AAM tendency. Creating some further extra amplification on top of the tropical>extra tropical wave-breaking to offset a more volatile jet stream than was present earlier in the month.

The net result should be enough to amplify the Atlantic profile sufficiently to take Nigel far enough west (!) of North Western Europe  - sharpening the downstream ridge extending from the Azores and pulling up air from my part of the world that is set to embark on a late heat up from next weekend. Mainland continental Europe looks to benefit from this first of all. How much of the UK might be influenced from the advection of this heat is uncertain, but latest NWP trends seem to be adjusting away from the flatter pattern advertised yesterday.

Boa sorte.🙂

Just a remarkable  September in these parts ( Eastern Alps ) I have been here since 2005 and have never known such a warm sunny September. Looking at the models, looks like more of the same and I am sure  by months end all records will be broken . Not just day time max but night mins. Currently 17c in the village at 1450m absl, Thats crazy for Mid - September. Not sure whether all of The British Isles will tap into some of the late September continental heat but I am confident that the south will see some renewed advection at times from that souce.

C

• Like 7