Storms and Convective discussion - August 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
1 hour ago, Jamie M said:

Aye us Kent lot all sound the same 😂

Strike was only a few streets away so I can see why it was so bloody loud 

image.thumb.png.0b66754a6a0f83e8a58226a98db3c105.png

91000 Amps! Nobody is surviving that one. As for power, billions of watts there on offer! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
1 hour ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

91000 Amps! Nobody is surviving that one. As for power, billions of watts there on offer! 

Someone had a hole in their roof and a blown-up fuse box from it about half a mile away so I was a bit lucky 

• Like 1

Posted

The only half decent shot from last night showing the structure

DSC_3567edited.thumb.PNG.39cf967991ed225268feecf58701adab.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist
3 hours ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

image.png.ab3a154c35d9ad2dafdf68bc14d37eff(1).thumb.png.9e67ca0dba9fa10cedf58694f32cb2a2.png

Do you have to register to use the info on that site? 

Edited by Sprites

Posted
2 hours ago, Sprites said:

image.png.ab3a154c35d9ad2dafdf68bc14d37eff(1).thumb.png.9e67ca0dba9fa10cedf58694f32cb2a2.png

Do you have to register to use the info on that site? 

https://meteologix.com/uk/lightning

Wasn't logged in to see the lightning analysis so no

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
10 hours ago, Shaunado said:

Woke up to thunder and torrential rain, not sure what time for my notes recording thunder days due to ill health: was it before or after midnight here in mid Kent... or both?

At Egerton, I would have thought that the bulk of the thundery activity if not its entirety occurred between midnight and 1am BST though other observers nearby may know better. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Harry's House said:

At Egerton, I would have thought that the bulk of the thundery activity if not its entirety occurred between midnight and 1am BST though other observers nearby may know better. 

Thanks man, my parents nearby guesstimated midnight too. 😎

Posted

Video of the storms 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
On 19/08/2023 at 12:10, Jamie M said:

Exported file was a gigabyte so I thought I'd just post the YouTube video here instead

Nice, apart from for the ears of course. Wasn't to bad the electric stayed on lol. Had a black out for about a minute after one of those a few years back. Loud was an understatement too.

On 19/08/2023 at 13:24, Jamie M said:

Someone had a hole in their roof and a blown-up fuse box from it about half a mile away so I was a bit lucky 

Ouch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

In Lancashire for the next couple of days, bit dark to the SW.

IMG20230821141756.thumb.jpg.f59a9f6cb0539483cd2cda80311781f0.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
15 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Nice, apart from for the ears of course. Wasn't to bad the electric stayed on lol. Had a black out for about a minute after one of those a few years back. Loud was an understatement too.

I had one with the storm earlier this week for a minute or two from a close positive CG. 0.5 seconds after I saw the strike, I heard the loud crack rather than rumble sound that went on for a few seconds and knocked out power. However, had a louder one that didn't turn out the power last year. Shook the house and forced me to cover my ears which I don't normally do anymore. 

Posted
15 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Ouch.

Was very surprised that the electrics didn't trip, grandparents on the other side of town had their electrics go even though they were further away

Edited by Jamie M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Interesting feature being suggested on Thursday. Not much cape present so I don’t know if it’s suggesting elevated convection or a convergence zone. 

IMG_9919.webp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

The 06z runs this morning bring S/SE England agonisingly close to some pretty spectacular thunderstorms (a positive trend vs the last 24/48 hours), given the CAPE and DLS overlap. We're definitely within the realms of this possibility, should the boundary of the warm airmass advect 50-100 miles or so further northwards. Just a few more positive adjustments needed and I wouldn't rule it out given the underestimation of the strength of the heat dome over Central Europe. However, as it stands this is screaming the dreaded, Kent Clipper.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
27 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

The 06z runs this morning bring S/SE England agonisingly close to some pretty spectacular thunderstorms (a positive trend vs the last 24/48 hours), given the CAPE and DLS overlap. We're definitely within the realms of this possibility, should the boundary of the warm airmass advect 50-100 miles or so further northwards. Just a few more positive adjustments needed and I wouldn't rule it out given the underestimation of the strength of the heat dome over Central Europe. However, as it stands this is screaming the dreaded, Kent Clipper.

Locally 34c in these parts and currently 26c in the village at 1340m absl. Its hot 🔥 with no wind to speak of. . The local forecast now indicates a delay in the passage of the cold front and its associated storm risk over the coming weekend so prolongs the so called heat dome phenomena.  Not sure what effect that will have for the UK but as you have mentioned a possible surprise development in the making.

C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Haven't been around for a while as absolutely nothing to report. Been a dismal summer storm wise here with the only consistent theme being sunny and warm (but not convective) . 👎 Even when things looked promising on storm forecasts nothings materialised or missed us completely. Only a few weeks to go until the end of storm season. ☹️ I feel this summer has been a huge missed opportunity for us.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
5 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Literally every word of this does not surprise me lol and has been said before, almost fortnightly. And yet, look where we are: stormless 🥺

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.5ef6651adb2a339733a51c72b975e2b2.png

Am sure we'll be happy to know that AROME brings nothing to the UK 

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.c555090c0ded218ae4914556c507e515.png

Missing out on that shear is just painful 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
3 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

image.thumb.png.c555090c0ded218ae4914556c507e515.png

Missing out on that shear is just painful 

I have one word for it. 

Typical. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

How nice of the ARPEGE to follow the N France coastline... Really is painful living in the UK!

image.thumb.png.8f07befc20b921a2210bbfc8f82a844a.png

If it's any consolation the NetWx MR has an MCS tearing across SE England in a 35m/s sheared environment. Don't give up till it's over I guess!

CAPE.thumb.png.72508ca25f9433e576772f781e929d50.pngCAPE1.thumb.png.c0986336f96a2ca3b55dce0b2ef0d020.pngSHEAR.thumb.png.61d44168d6412ce9d09eb2ac75070879.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

How nice of the ARPEGE to follow the N France coastline... Really is painful living in the UK!

image.thumb.png.8f07befc20b921a2210bbfc8f82a844a.png

If it's any consolation the NetWx MR has an MCS tearing across SE England in a 35m/s sheared environment. Don't give up till it's over I guess!

CAPE.thumb.png.72508ca25f9433e576772f781e929d50.pngCAPE1.thumb.png.c0986336f96a2ca3b55dce0b2ef0d020.pngSHEAR.thumb.png.61d44168d6412ce9d09eb2ac75070879.png

Want my heavily sheared rain and I want it now 

• Like 3