It’s a classic gag isn’t it…? 

“Taxi!” 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 hours ago, SqueakheartLW said:

Oh look, our first "winters over" comment at the start of September

LOL

Given the way winters have gone in recent years it’s not an unreasonable assumption that winter is over before it even began 😂

• Like 5

Posted
20 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Question no one has answered is why? Why would that be the case?

What is September?  Its just a man made creation that covers a specific period of time of Earth's orbit around the Sun.

So why would a specific 30 days period in the Earth's orbit have an affect on the weather of a specific 90 day period in the Earth's orbit of which there are 61 days between the two periods?

I like your thinking, as highlighted it is but 8.3% of the Gregorian calendar, which has minimal atmospheric alignment, so I'm not sure how people can align this to an event some 3 months away.

In reading these threads (and many others) people always focus on the effect, i.e. a warm September means....

But, rather than that, go back and ask yourself what has caused the "effect" and determine the cause, and then try to correlate, the old versus the current and how that might align.

I've seen so many posts that say "Warm September means..." and then so many posts that say "Warm September doesn't mean". Looking at the bigger picture can help a lot more than the data that says, September was...., and the winter was... , purely because as we have seen you can correlate it either way. Possibly look more towards the modern datasets rather than the old, because GW is certainly breaking data links to data from many years in the past.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Love some of the crazy charts that the CFS is pumping out for February, not bone chillingly cold but very very wintry in their own right with such low thicknesses

image.thumb.png.5c5dccf5fe1bf367ad3265f5da914793.png

image.thumb.png.bf44e48428af7ceabf472948e4bf76da.png

Posted
6 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Love some of the crazy charts that the CFS is pumping out for February, not bone chillingly cold but very very wintry in their own right with such low thicknesses

image.thumb.png.5c5dccf5fe1bf367ad3265f5da914793.png

image.thumb.png.bf44e48428af7ceabf472948e4bf76da.png

Think we already know that nothing on the CFS ever verifies

LOL

🤣

Posted

Some interesting analysis and charts here, albeit not particularly inspiring for us here in the UK with the possible exception of Southern UK during December 

winter-2023-2024-snowfall-prediction-for
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

Winter 2023/2024 snowfall predictions for United States, Canada and Europe, from the global long-range weather forecasting systems

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
On 02/09/2023 at 00:21, damianslaw said:

Lots of reference to long range models... Would be interested to see the surface pressure anomaly for summer 2023 and how it compares to what the seasonals were suggesting. From recollection most suggested low heights way out to the SW and strong heights over and to our east. Whilst right with June, for July and August a big bust, the trough deeper and more over the UK..

Z500 rather than MSLP, but here you go:

image.thumb.png.13b655f1dbf898728597ea0b6272ac91.png...image.thumb.png.7df7391a80a4ef75ece6afd4b569a9df.png...image.thumb.png.25a34e4a2adf46094e7df1e170b6f699.png...image.thumb.png.583911630df744c4cdd68e82a6a015a2.png...image.thumb.png.1c0394e4af73d69488f896d3dafc1994.png

What's fascinating and frustrating is that you can see how close the models got at times to predicting the correct blocking pattern... but just small differences between the predictions and reality meant a completely different kind of outcome for us.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, RainAllNight said:

Z500 rather than MSLP, but here you go:

image.thumb.png.13b655f1dbf898728597ea0b6272ac91.png...image.thumb.png.7df7391a80a4ef75ece6afd4b569a9df.png...image.thumb.png.25a34e4a2adf46094e7df1e170b6f699.png...image.thumb.png.583911630df744c4cdd68e82a6a015a2.png...image.thumb.png.1c0394e4af73d69488f896d3dafc1994.png

What's fascinating and frustrating is that you can see how close the models got at times to predicting the correct blocking pattern... but just small differences between the predictions and reality meant a completely different kind of outcome for us.

What would be of interest is how this anomaly chart compares with summer 2009

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, SqueakheartLW said:

What would be of interest is how this anomaly chart compares with summer 2009

It looks like 2009 didn't have the heights we've seen this summer in the Labrador Sea:

image.thumb.png.91964dd33a1f37875f10c42f19d26271.pngimage.thumb.png.a5ccd6d07f9e55783529e6df8830612d.png

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/composites/comp.pl?var=Geopotential+Height&level=500mb&mon1=5&mon2=7&iy=2009&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&iy=&ipos[1]=&ipos[2]=&ineg[1]=&ineg[2]=&timefile0=&tstype=0&timefile1=&value=&typeval=1&compval=1&lag=0&labelcolor=Color&labelshaded=Shaded+w%2Foverlying+contours&type=2&scale=100&contourlabel=0&switch=0&cint=10&lowr=-160&highr=160&proj=Custom&xlat1=30&xlat2=80&xlon1=-60&xlon2=40&custproj=Cylindrical+Equidistant&level1=1000mb&level2=10mb&Submit=Create+Plot

Possibly related is the big difference in SST anomalies between the two years (or at least I think that's what these are, not sure why it says 'skin'...):

image.thumb.png.52cee8009227150fe042998838e64c82.pngimage.thumb.png.451424c8d1127ce49e82046a6bea4503.png

Edited by RainAllNight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Hey CFS paint us the worst possible picture for December

CFS: 'Right on it boss'

glbz700MonInd4.gif

Yeah, errr, please don't actually do that...

Hopefully we see these charts flip 180 over the next few weeks...

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
26 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

glbz700MonInd4.gif

Uncanny as I was doing my analogs other day it looks almost identical.

Could contain:

Posted
5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

glbz700MonInd4.gif

BIN IT

LOL

Its the CFS after all

5 hours ago, jules216 said:

Uncanny as I was doing my analogs other day it looks almost identical.

Could contain:

Not looking as good as it did but we still have time for things to change yet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate
3 hours ago, John S2 said:

Jules216 - what made you reject 2009 from your analogues? Just curious, not saying you're right or wrong to do so.

I had many more years in the list but narrowed it down a bit as I liked these more. I just dont trust such a -NAO outlier although one can argue fór it to be a good analog. We will see. I dont think big blocking will occur until February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Drawing any conclusions either whether mild or cold  about the cominging winter in the first week of September is a mugs game.

Far too much water to go under the bridge yet.

• Like 5

Posted

Models and us lot have no clue tbh.

Weather has made mugs of us in the past.

Edited by joggs
  • Like 2

Posted

One of the very few things (and it is very few) I have learnt over the years with the models is that the CFS is garbage at long range. Doesn't matter if it's showing the coldest winter in a 100 years or the mildest or anything inbetween, it just can't be taken seriously imo. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Doom mongers are early this year 🤣

This September's certainly tying my stomach in knots regarding the coming winter, that's for sure! 😱

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Don said:

This September's certainly tying my stomach in knots regarding the coming winter, that's for sure! 😱

TBH Don I'm  not worried about Sept ,I'm more concerned with the strength of El Nino for Dec to Feb.

Posted
Just now, northwestsnow said:

TBH Don I'm  not worried about Sept ,I'm more concerned with the strength of El Nino for Dec to Feb.

The El Nino concerns me too, however, it seems like we are falling at the first hurdle this year!