Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Look on sat and you’ll see where the biggest showers / storms are is generally where airmasses are meeting and the direction change is forcing the warm air coming from the south upwards. We’ve got no convergence in the south, so it generally fizzles out, meaning the air remains primed for the point at which it converges further north.

Isn't that what I said?

Posted
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Look on sat and you’ll see where the biggest showers / storms are is generally where airmasses are meeting and the direction change is forcing the warm air coming from the south upwards. We’ve got no convergence in the south, so it generally fizzles out, meaning the air remains primed for the point at which it converges further north.

Yeah but even when the cooler air moves south over the next couple of days and the air masses meet right over my house, nothing will happen - for some reason. Instead of forcing the air upwards, The cooler air will just politely move the warmer air away in a violent period of moderate drizzle. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Met Office have no warnings south of Wolves, started to light up 50/60 miles SSE of here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Currently just E of Harrogate, off the A1(M), with a spectacular view. Warm and humid with good clearance to my south. Seems all the ingredients are coming together.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, Aiden2012 said:

Just told me he studied weather 😂

I study my naval from time to time

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That Cumbrian storm is doing a right mover,...NE england could kop for it.

i know we have Netweather radar but i just want to post this cos it has quicker animation...

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

La météo en temps réel et prévisions météo pour la France, Observations météo, modèles numériques et logiciels météo (GFS, ECMWF, UKMO, GEM, AROME, ARPEGE, JMA)

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Yeah but even when the cooler air moves south over the next couple of days and the air masses meet right over my house, nothing will happen - for some reason. Instead of forcing the air upwards, The cooler air will just politely move the warmer air away in a violent period of moderate drizzle. 

Love that...should be used in weather forecasts for our areas..

"a cold front will politely move in respectively replacing the warm air and as long as everyone is happy a period of moderate...(maybe intense if you are lucky)..drizzle will ensue"

Edited by minus10
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Lots of clag developed here now and temps have dropped although still humid. 

Storm to me west but think it'll hit Northumberland on current track rather than Tyne and Wear. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Thunderstorms, Snow

Very humid in Thirsk and the temperature slowly creeping up even with full cloud coverage

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

2 loud rumbles of thunder in South Oxfordshire.  Don't know where it came from- we've had nothing but clag this morning 

Hope for me then! Glad you're getting something. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like they're fizzling out minutes after forming, still not too hopeful here.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
21 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Ah well yeah, that will be for another reason 😄

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Love that...should be used in weather forecasts for our areas..

"a cold front will politely move in reapectively replacing the warm air and as long as everyone is happy a period of moderate...(maybe intense if you are lucky)..drizzle will ensue"

Starting to think the central south should just be left off forecasts in future until science figures out why thunderstorms simply cannot form in this area of the planet. 😂 must be our unique geography or something. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Currently just off the M1 near to Sheffield with the plan to head north in the direction of Wetherby/York. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

You can see the ring of convection forming i think as it moves north on sat 24 and will probably intensify..

Screenshot_20230910_131524_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2acda8b9a7e97540597a639ded5859f4.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Seriously hoping that something else develops behind the main area of rain. Seems on satellite there's plenty of sunshine around Weymouth north.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Starting to think the central south should just be left off forecasts in future until science figures out why thunderstorms simply cannot form in this area of the planet. 😂 must be our unique geography or something. 

The chilterns are usually good for a storm. I can hear thunder from that Chilterns cell here

1 minute ago, minus10 said:

You can see the ring of convection forming i think as it moves north on sat 24 and will probably intensify..

Screenshot_20230910_131524_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2acda8b9a7e97540597a639ded5859f4.jpg

Yes. Our rain has come out of nothing, so must be fairly rapid

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

From Leighton buzzard looking to Aylebury now.

Could contain:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Not being funny but I was pretty spot-on with the Wokingham Supercell prediction.

Okay 25 -50 miles off, and it’s yet to fully develop - but other than that please pass me the “forecaster of the year’ award